User Avatar Image

Which choices change things drastically? (EP 5 SPOILERS GALORE)

posted by aguyuno on - last edited - Viewed by 1.9K users

So I've finished episode 5, but I had some q's about how different certain things are if I had chosen differently. So could I ask for people who HAVE played this way to answer some of them?

1) If you didn't save Ben at the clocktower, does Kenny ultimately end up living? Or does he still manage to die? Also, if you REALLY lose your temper with him, is it possible to like bash his head in with that marble statue instead of just throw it and have Omid deliver his best line of the series ("...Dude you totally wrecked that guy's face")?

2) If you send Omid/Christa AFTER you on that sign you cross, do either of them end up falling/dying? Or do they always survive beyond the end?

3) If you didn't kill the st. johns (I did), or help kill Larry (I did), or abandon Lily (I did) or, most importantly, help steal that guy's shit... does he end up being less angry with you? Or is it even someone else? Or is he still a raging psychopath?

4) If you go ALONE for the first part of the game, when you come back do you instead find like a whole bunch of bodies from Vernon and crew, or do they always steal your shit?

I think I had some more q's, but I forget them so this will do for now. Any answers will do :). Oh, and also, was that zombie in the hotel supposed to be Molly? Asking because you DO see an Andrea zombie at one point and yeah.

And also, how come Christa barely reacts when Lee calls her on being pregnant? She and Omid aren't surprised at ALL that he knows... even though she makes it pretty obvious, it's still weird.

65 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Gerudan said: No choices have ever changed anything in this game. ;)

Even when you think "Wow, now there will be dozens of different versions of Ep. 5, because of the different teams!", it was just a blatant lie at the end of Ep. 4. They wanted you to think, that it would make a difference, but it never did.

This pretty much says it all. None of your "choices" meant ANYTHING in this game.

• Your choices don't change the story yeah

They do change the experience. Small amounts sometimes, larger amounts others.

I don't know what your expectation of the word tailored is but I know what mine is and I was very impressed with the game. Sure it's disappointing clem didn't go the the railroad and meet omid and christa like I planned. But that's okay, if they want to setup for a potential season 2, that's fine by me and I will happily experience the most immersive game I have ever played again

• @DreadMagus said: If you cross a river, and have points A, B and C to choose from.... once you get past the river, you're on the other side no matter which choice you made. But which point you took, determines the type of crossing you had.

This paragraph says it all. It's not about the end, it's what you do on the journey to get there.

• @aguyuno said: So I've finished episode 5, but I had some q's about how different certain things are if I had chosen differently. So could I ask for people who HAVE played this way to answer some of them?

1) If you didn't save Ben at the clocktower, does Kenny ultimately end up living? Or does he still manage to die? Also, if you REALLY lose your temper with him, is it possible to like bash his head in with that marble statue instead of just throw it and have Omid deliver his best line of the series ("...Dude you totally wrecked that guy's face")?

2) If you send Omid/Christa AFTER you on that sign you cross, do either of them end up falling/dying? Or do they always survive beyond the end?

3) If you didn't kill the st. johns (I did), or help kill Larry (I did), or abandon Lily (I did) or, most importantly, help steal that guy's shit... does he end up being less angry with you? Or is it even someone else? Or is he still a raging psychopath?

4) If you go ALONE for the first part of the game, when you come back do you instead find like a whole bunch of bodies from Vernon and crew, or do they always steal your shit?

I think I had some more q's, but I forget them so this will do for now. Any answers will do :). Oh, and also, was that zombie in the hotel supposed to be Molly? Asking because you DO see an Andrea zombie at one point and yeah.

And also, how come Christa barely reacts when Lee calls her on being pregnant? She and Omid aren't surprised at ALL that he knows... even though she makes it pretty obvious, it's still weird.

1.) Kenny will jump down the roof to help Christa up (the hole in the roof is full of zombies if you saved Ben). So yea he dies/get's seperated pretty much at the same area (or a couple of seconds later)

2.) No matter who goes first it will always be you on 1 side and christa/omid on the other. No one falls. Makes no difference.

3.) He will be mad about you no matter what choices you did. He always finds a reason to be mad at you. (eg Leaving Lilly, not helping Ben, taking Clem to Crawford etc etc.)

4.) Rest of group will be locked in the garage. Kenny has a black eye for fighting back. There will be no letter.

• @shedim said: Fudge costs! Either you make a good game and live up to your promises or you don't. Don't go looking for excuses, because there is NOT a single choice in this game that mattered at all. TTG is to blame for it, who else?

This game is rairoaded all the way and I'm genuinely wondering why they bothered making it a video game instead of a comic, or some shitty movie. The entire game is nothing but a huge railroad sequence with occasional illusion of choice flavored here and there.

Honestly, if I didn't buy the entire season on Steam because there was no other option back then, I'd just pulled out a huge middlefinger to TTG after episode 3 and watched the walkthroughs of the other episodes on stream or youtube or whatever.

You can shove your season 2 up there where the sun don't shine, TTG. Once bitten, twice shy, I guess!

Its the journey that's important. If you don't like this type of game style then that's your opinion but theres no need to be so rude about it. I enjoyed the play through style and even though I died I'm glad I did it my way ;D YOLO! -shot-

• I also was disappointed about your choices not changing anything. If your own story cannot be changed, that is ok, because that is a lot to produce if you have to make the story work for all the possible backstories, but why couldn't we change the stories of others in the game? Couldn't we have a choice where some of the people that died went away from the group (like Kenny taking off with the boat alone in the final episode? Like Ben NOT being a total useless bag of cr... when you took the right choices with him? Like having a chance for omid or christa to die? Like having a way to let Carley survive even if she isn't in the group anymore? - you know giving her a gun beforehand and when she does protect herself she doesn't want to be with other people anymore or something). It wouldn't have costed a lot to let a character say goodbye instead of killing him off in a different way.

It isn't a movie, it is a game, and in a game the journey isn't the only thing. You want to know that what you did made a difference and changed life even if on a very small scale (what do a few survivors mean in a world full of zombies). In the end I didn't have that feeling and I think that could have been avoided.

• It's a game about emotional choices, not plot choices. It's true that that isn't made entirely clear, but then that would have reduced the impact of the emotional choices. I thought it was great.

• @DreadMagus said: I have never understood this point of view where people seem to think one "Action" will completely alter an ongoing flow of events into something unrecognizable from a completely different choice.

If you cross a river, and have points A, B and C to choose from.... once you get past the river, you're on the other side no matter which choice you made. But which point you took, determines the type of crossing you had.

And all of a sudden a wild Lilly appears and puts you back on the other side of the river, only with options A and B being gone.

After a while there is another river you have to cross and no matter what you do, all of a not-so-sudden a wild walker appears and magically brings you to the other side. You can cut off your arm in order to go back and hope that finally for once at least one of your decisions will alter the story...and that you can DECIDE YOURSELF how you cross the final river, but nooooo, you end up losing your arm for nothing.

Yup, totally tailored by my decisions.

I'll keep it the same way I do with Bioware: (with)Hold the wallet!

Once bitten, twice shy.

• Except, you're assuming there's more than one river to cross.

Sounds like the problem here, is that you were expecting what Mass Effect originally promised from a point and click adventure game.

This is not an RPG, has never been billed as open world, and wasn't designed to be more than a semi-choose-your-own-adventure story.

It seems some people are taking "this game tailors itself to your choices" and translating it into "you're in an open world where each choice leads to an entirely new adventure."

• anyone know what happens if you save your rounds in the house (if you saved Ben since he picks your gun up after you drop it) There was a point where kenny told me to give him the ammo and leave but i said hell no (to leaving) but then he locked me away without taking the ammo. does it help him/change anything??

Add Comment