User Avatar Image

Episode 5 Disappointment (vent here) **SPOILERS**

posted by MaroubraDave on - last edited - Viewed by 3.0K users

Telltale,
Firstly i would like to say great game and a fantastic concept. However the ending i would say is not so great. While it is very well made and certainly tugs at your heart strings, I didn't play the game and wait for the ending only to find out i die anyway... Now i know people may argue that you didn't see lee actually turn so maybe he will be ok, but the fact you left it this way is really a let down to the series. I was really looking forward to the last episode but in all honesty it just brought me down and i kinda wish i stopped playing at episode 4. :confused: There should be an alternative ending where you can at least live... Just my opinion.

407 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @dee23 said: How was the ending perfect when Lee failed? Clementine survived but Lee doesn't know that because he wasn't responsible for getting her to safety. He didn't reunite her with Omid and Christa which was his only goal by the end of the game. Where is his redemption? He goes to the grave not knowing if Clementine made it out of the city. Come to think of we don't even know how safe she is when we see her last and won't know for a very long time. So there is no real sense of ressolve. If the season was tied up and conclusive the ending would have been good and rewarding.

Nah dude, that would have been too much unicorns and rainbows for the hipsters to bear. Better let Lee die like an idiot. Grimdark awesomesauce ending, truly worthy of a zombie apocalypse.

• My question about Radioman is this, why did he feel the need to stalk Lee? I get the fact that he blamed Lee for losing his family and he feels guilty but, to go that far? And how did he not get attacked himself by zombies when he was stalking Lee? Why didn't he rescue Lily if she was left out at the road side?

• @BlankCanvasDJ said: He centers on Lee because he connects with him as a father. He lost his own kids and now sees a man who, in his eyes, is making all the wrong decisions for another child. He thought he could be a better father for Clementine than Lee was, and that she could be a replacement daughter for him. If Duck had answered the radio, he probably would have fixated on Kenny.

Sorry dude. I don't buy that. He centers on Lee because Lee is the character you control. I didn't steal the food so most of the crap he was saying was aimed at Kenny and his wife. The only thing he could criticize me for was taking Clementine to Crawford,leaving Lilly on the road and choosing to save Carly and I find it hard to believe that Clementine would not have put things in context when telling him on the radio the things I had done based on the way she saw my version of Lee. She approved of all my actions from episode 1-4 other than my decission about it being to dangerous to look for her parents.

Telltale just used a default dialogue for the kidnapper so you got the same judgment no matter what you did. I didn't kill anyone because Clementine was present but both the kidnapper and Vernon had default dialogue that condemned me and accused me of being a bad carer. Laziness on Telltale's part. They probably expected most of us to make selfish decissions like looting food and expected us to be revenge seekers and kill people infront of Clementine. I didn't but I might aswell have since the outcome was the same. Apparently i'm not fit to care for Clementine because i'm not a fucking octopus with the ability to save both Doug and Carly at the same time and because I chose not to let a dangerous woman travel in the RV with me and Clementine.

The stranger on the radio plot was tacked and fucked up the game. Telltale caused more questions than answers with that one. For instanace how the fuck was he able to get from Macon to Savannah before Lee when Lee was on a train and the guy ran out of gas. Even if he got more would the roads really have been clear enough and safe enough for him to travel that way not to mention that Clementine could not have told him she was going there until she knew and that wasn't confirmed until after they were on their way when Lee was cutting her hair and he showed her the map. It was not confirmed enough before for him to have started his journey ahead of them. Only a week had past from when they looted the food and got the batteries for the radio to when they arrived at Savannah. During that week he lost his family and made contact with Clementine.

• I can't see it ending in any other way. Loved the ending. But I also hated it (for obvious reasons). But it was good.

• @Dead Watcher said: My question about Radioman is this, why did he feel the need to stalk Lee? I get the fact that he blamed Lee for losing his family and he feels guilty but, to go that far? And how did he not get attacked himself by zombies when he was stalking Lee? Why didn't he rescue Lily if she was left out at the road side?

Because none of that is meant to matter. He's a plot device to force Lee to question his motivations throughout the story. The problem is that plot devices are meant to be subtle and not obvious that they are contrivance. Unfortunately he doesn't really work once you start asking questions about Radioman/The Stranger's motivations and location at any given point.

Also, sadly, it would seem that TTG's only defence is the "he's crazy so it doesn't need to make sense" defence. Which is kind of weak. I wish they had put a bit more thought into that part of the narrative.

• I don't like how choices really don't matter. Why does cutting Lee's arm off not work? In the TV show it worked with cutting off Hershal's leg. It made it pointless to cut off his arm,.

• @TWDfan1199 said: I don't like how choices really don't matter. Why does cutting Lee's arm off not work? In the TV show it worked with cutting off Hershal's leg. It made it pointless to cut off his arm,.

to much time had passed b4 u cut it, hints the name no time left

• @Pellet said: to much time had passed b4 u cut it, hints the name no time left

None of which negates the complaint that cutting Lee's arm off had no impact on the story.

If anything, it makes the decision even less relevant and raises the question of why bother having the option there at all if it wasn't going to mean anything to the story?

• @BlankCanvasDJ said: ...you defeated the villain, you saved someone by sacrificing yourself, you finished your story. By YOUR own criteria, you've accomplished a lot.

I DON'T think you need to accomplish something by the end of a game for it to be a good game, but I disagree that you haven't accomplished anything by the end of this one.

Lee still died believing that he failed. He died not knowing if Clementine found Christa or not. How the hell can he rest in peace? His core object was to reunite Clementine with Christa so he could die knowing she was in safe hands, he failed to accomplish this. Do you remember what he told Clementine when he left her house in episode 1? He told her that he wouldn't her leave alone, meaning she wouldn't be by herself. Not being able to keep his promise would have made him feel like he had failed in those dying moments. He left her alone and afraid. It's only by chance that she happened to see Omid and Christa, in the distance if that is them in the first place. We don't know for sure. They could be zombie versions of Omid and Christa. regardless Lee did not finish his mission. He helped her defeat the reanimated guard and said his goodbyes knowing that she was going out into an over run city. From his point view her chances of finding Omid and Christa were pretty slim, he didn't even know if they had made it to the train. Like Lee we didn't find true ressolve in the sense that neither Lee or the gamer saw her safely reunited with Christa and Omid. That is poor for Lee and poor for a season finale.

• @Evinshir said: Because none of that is meant to matter. He's a plot device to force Lee to question his motivations throughout the story. The problem is that plot devices are meant to be subtle and not obvious that they are contrivance. Unfortunately he doesn't really work once you start asking questions about Radioman/The Stranger's motivations and location at any given point.

Also, sadly, it would seem that TTG's only defence is the "he's crazy so it doesn't need to make sense" defence. Which is kind of weak. I wish they had put a bit more thought into that part of the narrative.

I get that but like you said, once he plays out; his motives for following Lee don't make that much sense. That guy must have been one heckuva tracker to follow Lee and crew.

Add Comment