User Avatar Image

The story is tailored by your choice

posted by falcon168 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users

Whoa! Now I can really see how much the story is tailored by my choices! Thanks TT! You've made a good job!

46 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Rink said: What is the upside of the game being always the same no matter what you do again? And what is the problem in people wanting to achieve something and thus replaying the game, is that bad? I don't really get your point.

There is no problem in that, and I enjoy that a lot in some games as well.

It is just that TTG's TWD game was made to not be like that. It was meant to be a tailored story, not a story where you define everything that happens but where your actions do change the way things occur.

When I heard this game will not have any ending/choice which was clearly better than others, I knew I would love this game. As although your choices have less impact on the world as a whole, they have a great impact on the small things.

And I appreciate TTG for that subtlety.

• Choice wise it was very limited and linear but it doesn't hinder the fact that it was a phenomenal game. It was more about how Lee dealt with the circumstances at hand rather than drastically changing or altering a path.

If you want to play a game where your choices drastically alter the path of astory and leads to branching paths I suggest you play The Witcher 2 ; ), another great choice-based game

• What I find funny is how people are trying to make "tailored" sound like it *isn't* about your choices. Then we get this ridiculous "it's a shirt that still has two sleeves" example.

The thing is, the story isn't tailored. Not really. Your decisions don't actually change anything. You don't change character's motivations, the tone of the story doesn't change to fit the Lee that you play...

Edit: To clarify - Kenny still fights with Lee, He still gets morose, Lilly still acts paranoid, Larry still doesn't trust you, Ben still feels guilty and wants to kill himself, Christa and Omid still want to help Clem... none of the scenes actually have a different *tone.* If you play Lee as a kind peace maker, the Stranger still accuses him of being a murderer and a monster. Larry still hates you. None of the conflict scenes play dramatically differently in their tone and most of the characters don't really show a change in personality. About the *only* time the game genuinely felt tailored was the end of episode 4. Then episode 5 pretty quickly works to force everything back towards a single uniform finish that tonally ignores pretty much everything you did.

What it does do is use smoke and mirrors to trick you into thinking the story is being tailored to fit you. Unfortunately Episode 5 then blows all of that away.

To use the tailored shirt example, it's like the tailor saying you can have a shirt and the colour and cut will be suited to you, then you get the same shirt as the other guy but yours is too tight. When you complain, the guy in the other shirt says "but your shirt is red whereas mine is scarlet. He never promised you that it would be a perfect fit."

The thing is, you're still both standing there wearing the same shirt.

• oh my god its a disscussion between members from the 2008 and the 2012 who will win

• User Avatar Image
    dx1

@RoboSheriff said: oh my god its a disscussion between members from the 2008 and the 2012 who will win

I'm "from the 2010", maybe I win?:p

I read about player's choices with almost no impact and no multiple endings. I could quote here, but the thread has only two pages now, so scroll a little.

It was stated that the characters that were not Lee gave a four letter word about what decisions you made and what snappy answers you gave or how silent you were. You ever met a bunch of totally strangers and had their basic behaviour changed in a couple of months or even days? ;)

The other big thing here was the world spinning and stuff happening, no matter what you wanted your Lee to think about that. Strangers behaviour at a much bigger scale, but let's focus on the main part: Lee's death. There's this new book by Jenny Erpenbeck, "Aller Tage Abend", in which a woman dies five times. From only days old baby to an old woman. She mades different experiences in different lifes but no matter what, she eventually dies. My PC Lee differs a lot from the one on my Xbox, but they both are dead. And both they saved little Clem. But they are completely different in character. That didn't save them. So what? The world is spinning.

• Well of course Kenny is still going to act the same. Lilly is still crazy and her father is a jerk. If you wanted to impact the story of them and make them better you have to hit them before they are grown adults. A couple little extra kindnesses would not really change Kenny being so sad after losing his family. Or Lilly from trusting.

I knew they were not going to arc that far off of how the main story flows. They really could not. They would have had to develop 5 times a much content if the split came late. Imagine if you have left with Lilly and had totally different story line to play.

• Lol at all the people trying to defend TellTale.

• Honestly, from what I could tell, TellTale wanted to make the choices in the game matter a lot more. Viewing episode one, there was a lot of things that could affect possible episode two. However, they gave themselves one month between each episode, forcing them to cut corners, making most all of the characters interchangeable. So, hopefully for season 2 people will be more patient and let TellTale make the game they want.

• @der_ketzer said: Sure. If you want 2-3 months between all episodes this would be possible. I am certain they tried with the Doug / Carley thing but it lead to longer breaks between episodes. (I personally thought they't kill them off in episode 2 which they didn't to my great surprise.) I also thought the car situation at the end of Episode 2 would have a bigger impact on Episode 3. Similar to the Doug / Carley thing but it didn't because that would basically mean making 4 episodes with every possible choice.
    Episode 2 would be quite odd too. Just imagine Lee saying no to going to the farm. They could just have ended the episode at that moment. Or inserted another path but the episode was late already as it was. How much longer would that have actually taken?

I would have no problem waiting an extra 2-3 months if it would end up making the game better.

• @anonymau5 said: Honestly, from what I could tell, TellTale wanted to make the choices in the game matter a lot more. Viewing episode one, there was a lot of things that could affect possible episode two. However, they gave themselves one month between each episode, forcing them to cut corners, making most all of the characters interchangeable. So, hopefully for season 2 people will be more patient and let TellTale make the game they want.

That's pretty much the impression I got too.

I think they had intended for episode 5 to be much more variable, but maybe they couldn't figure out how to make it work within the time frame they had given themselves. Hopefully with Season 2 they will follow the television model and have multiple episodes already completed before publically releasing the first episode and then have more time to get things closer to their intent.

I imagine that season 1 has been a bit of a trial by fire for them with this style of storytelling - given that their previous games have been completely linear.

I hope that they will continue to build on the style that they went with in The Walking Dead for their other games too. They have the writers, I believe TTG has the skill to really meet the challenge.

Add Comment