User Avatar Image

The story is tailored by your choice

posted by falcon168 on - last edited - Viewed by 613 users

Whoa! Now I can really see how much the story is tailored by my choices! Thanks TT! You've made a good job!

46 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Evinshir said:

The thing is, the story isn't tailored. Not really. Your decisions don't actually change anything. You don't change character's motivations, the tone of the story doesn't change to fit the Lee that you play.

The thing is, you're putting to much of your own definition of what it should be, rather than accepting what it is.

If TTG had said that the game alters and you take different paths to an ending based on your actions... you might have a point.

But they didn't.

Let's look at "The story is tailored by your choice" literally.

The story is what happened to Lee and Clem through five episodes. That's the story TTG gave us.

"Tailored by your choices" - you have choices that alter events in game. Conversations, how people react to you, who has your back and who doesn't, and even who lives and who dies at key times. Those are things you control that alter how the story is presented.

That's all they ever offered. People are just trying to find hidden meanings that aren't there.

• Well this is your view. Of course there are other views as you can see here. But for me it isn't the definition of tailored that is the problem.

It wouldn't have costed nothing to have some characters say goodbye in episode 5 instead of killing them if you made the right/wrong choices beforehand. Instead they just killed off all characters that "had to die" so in season 2 every player of season 1 had exactly the same backstory. Well this makes sense if the walking dead is a movie or a comic, but in a game like the walking dead I expect that my choices do somehow influence what happens to my group at least as well as choices others in the group make. Now choices others in the group made decided over life and death of others and it mattered (kenny sacrificing himself, ben ****ing up killing others, clementine saving molly etc etc) and nothing we do and decide ever has that impact (other than game over or the character dieing shortly afterwards). And that feels bitter. I would like to see the game changed if I sacrifice a lot for the group and I would like to have it turn out differently as if I played a sociopath.
    I enjoyed the game, but this really hurts replayability and to take that control away from the player seems like a strange thing to do.

• @DreadMagus said: The thing is, you're putting to much of your own definition of what it should be, rather than accepting what it is.

If TTG had said that the game alters and you take different paths to an ending based on your actions... you might have a point.

But they didn't.

Let's look at "The story is tailored by your choice" literally.

The story is what happened to Lee and Clem through five episodes. That's the story TTG gave us.

"Tailored by your choices" - you have choices that alter events in game. Conversations, how people react to you, who has your back and who doesn't, and even who lives and who dies at key times. Those are things you control that alter how the story is presented.

And judging from that, one could consider that the experience was not a tailored one.

I really don't think there's a need to explain what is a remarkably simple phrase to people who don't consider that their experience was 'tailored' to their specifications. To some extent it's the same as "live with the profound and lasting consequences of your actions" (which was also an advertising phrase for the game), but a bit more subtle -- it's only true/false if you believe your actions had a profound/minor effect on the game's story.

So if you believe that the changes you can make to your story is justification enough for the "it adapts to my specifications" line, fine. It's not a blatant lie, but it can be misleading for some.

But I don't know if games should be judged according to the exact advertising standards set by the people who developed them. It doesn't sound very objective.

• Which brings us back to my original point - people are applying their own meaning to the phrase and then getting mad that it doesn't follow their own expectation of it.

• All I hear from the people that are disgruntled about "tailored experience" is:

"Oedipus didn't have any choices! Story sucks!"

• You know, if they didn't even give us choices, we wouldn't even be having these conversations about the choices we make. Just be glad we even get a chance to "tailor" our experience.

• @DreadMagus said: Which brings us back to my original point - people are applying their own meaning to the phrase and then getting mad that it doesn't follow their own expectation of it.

No, people have different expectations as to its meaning. We know what it means, we just don't agree with it. It's relative.

• Well, some people just aren't happy with what they have - they feel they need more.

Never understood it.

• @JabbaDaHuttX7 said: No, people have different expectations as to its meaning. We know what it means, we just don't agree with it. It's relative.

And not really relevant.

To use a crude example, if a person goes into a FPS expecting RPG gameplay, they're only going to be disappointed.

Being unhappy with a game is fine, everyone has their own likes -- but being unhappy because it didn't play the way you thought it should is a bit silly.

• @DreadMagus said: Which brings us back to my original point - people are applying their own meaning to the phrase and then getting mad that it doesn't follow their own expectation of it.

This, Telltale themselves were always very clear on what 'tailored' means according to them in all interviews and Playing Dead videos. They already said during the panel with the writers that the season's ending was decided before anything else. This means your choices can't have a huge impact on this.
    They also said multiple times that they put extra effort into making sure no one choice felt "better" than the other. Heck, they admitted they decided not to create a real Lee-Carley romance because than the choice between Carley and Doug in Ep 1 would feel that Carley is always the better option.

This, to me at least, made it clear that choice in this game results in different things than it does in other games (like the famous series from Bioware where choice is an important aspect). Instead of defining the people around you, your choices actually define yourself more. And this is sometimes put directly into play by confronting you with Clementine and how she feels about what you did. Basicly: Instead of showing you what would happen if, in a hypothetical situation, you'd do this or that.. they basicly put a mirror in front of you for every choice you have to make.

And this shows because many, many fans feel a very strong connection to their 'first save' Lee. The one that acts like they would in this situation. And more people seem to have it than those who have a really strong connection to their first Shepard.

And that, to me, is very good storytelling in an interactive medium.

Add Comment