User Avatar Image

[SPOILERS]The Walking Dead episode 5 and entire game REVIEW thread

posted by Vainamoinen on - last edited - Viewed by 10.5K users

Yup, this is it. Post your long and short, detailed or general, random or specific thoughts about the last episode and concluding thoughts about the Season right here.

No spoiler tags necessary, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU'VE PLAYED THE EPISODES!!!

(poll rates the whole game, not just episode 5)

278 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Just finished Episode 5.

I rate the whole season a 8/10, but as a game itself, more like a 5/10. The 8/10 is for the story and the character development. It was very good, but not perfect.

For the game itself... choices DO NOT matter. They only matter in a very short term. To me, this is textbook Mass Effect syndrome. You play through the entire game thinking your choices are going to matter a ton, then at the end of the series, they don't mean jack squat. This is what irked me the most about the game. The only thing they did was reference what you've done and that was it. It didn't have any severe impact on what happened in the game at all. Albeit it was very enjoyable, it didn't feel satisfying at all. The whole "let's end the game on a cliffhanger for Season 2" is a slap in the face. This isn't a movie. We invested a lot of time and money playing this and I for one wanted closure.

The "epilogue" was pointless. Telling Clementine what to do before Lee died again didn't matter although the game itself said that she "would remember that", but apparently she is suffering from a severe case of Alzheimers unless we get some closure. What I was hoping for was a "journey back to whoever survived while playing as Clementine" as the credits were rolling. Nope. Not even that.

Episode 5 felt way too rushed. Why the heck was chapter 7 only a minute long? What it felt like was they had the main premise of Episode 5 worked out already (Lee rescuing Clementine and her killing him in the end), then just bounced filler ideas around until they felt like they had enough to work with.

To be honest, I really hope they would have just ended the storyline with Clementine and gave everyone who played it a proper epilogue and do Season 2 with a new cast of characters...but it seems like they're going to continue with Clementine's story. To me, this won't be the same. Lee and Clementine are like peas and carrots in terms of story structure. You get rid of one (Lee) and it won't be as good. The new protagonist won't be the same. Maybe they'll treat Clementine the same, but it most certainly won't be.

Okay, rant over. Carry on.

• My review of Episode 5 at

http://tinyurl.com/cb7u8yo

Be warned there are EP4 major spoilers and just EP5 plot details.

• @Steverin0 said: [...] so tell me as 'old skool' adventurer why would I buy this?

Don't. It has nothing to do with real adventure games really. There are no "puzzles" other than "click through several openable closets to find tool a to open door b".

• overall, i gave an 8...i loved the game! it was too short! i rushed to play it, and only played once...i cannot go back and change the story now that i know that Lee dies...but Telltalegames did a good job. Hope they saved Lee...i really liked him :(...hope we can play with more then one character in season 2

• Just finished chapter 5 and It was great! Five truly great chapters in perhaps one of the best games I have played in my life as a gamer. Does It go on my top 20 games list of all times? I think It just might, and I have been playing games from way back when the mighty Commodore 64 was something only my friends had and I couldn´t afford, so I have played many truly awsome games.
    So thanks Telltale for five great chapters and for presenting a unique gaming experience.
    My wishes for the future of the game? Well, the adventure part could be more challenging, the riddles are often just too simple. Also I wouldn´t mind the chapters being longer, but I would rather that there was less time between the chapters coming out. Then again rushing things just to please could also be a mistake, chapter 4 seemed like It came out with more technical flaws than the others (the only chapter that gave myself and many others - It would seem- downloading difficulties).
    Also, let´s have more than 5 chapters next time...make It 8 or 10:)....And when are you going to make Full Throttle 2?

Best regards
    Sune

• Loved it gave it a 9 and my prediction is this I think clementine sees molly and a random dude(who you will play in season 2)and molly takes it on herself to do what lee did and protect clementine at all cost molly and you will meet up at a random camp with (hostile camp) you get new members and then are being hunted by the hostile gang and you must kill them.Later in the game you go back to savannah finding lee shot in the head (either by clementine or a random gang member) clementine takes the baseball bat and that becomes her main weapon for the rest of the season and at the end of the game someone will die either molly or clementine :( Anyway thats my guess on season 2

• According to François Truffaut, a great movie is one which frames a compelling vision of the world through an original reflection on the medium.

From this standpoint, The Walking Dead is a masterpiece.

• For me Episode 2 and 3 are 9.5 and Episode 1, 4 and 5 are 9.

So 9.

• um, since it was so powerful, that it made me cry in the end I give it 10, since for game/movie to do that to me it has to be something special.

Add Comment