User Avatar Image

Episode 5 ending.

posted by jeffster on - last edited - Viewed by 493 users

I get the feeling from a lot of posts that nobody watched past the credits. Make sure you watch past the credits.

37 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I was shocked in disbelief when it went straight to the credits with no epilogue, i was like....WTF ARE YOU SERIOUS? Then I waited till after credits to make sure and I was like... WTF ARE YOU SERIOUS? So yeah, didn't change my reaction.

    Not to mention loose ends that are left loose, such as Chuck. He gets separated, Lee finds him dead, but I never found an option to tell the group what happened to him..everyone just forgets about him like he wasn't there.

    Another is Ben. Ben has no freaking character development at all until he yells at Kenny, then dies soon after that.

    I could go on, but don't feel like. I still love the series, but was utterly disappointing with the epilogue(It was great until after Lee dies), and I read/watch the Walking Dead.

  • @JByrne said: I don't like to bang on and on, but I can't help but think that sometimes large numbers of players or viewers or readers of media confuse the emotions a deliberately ambiguous ending elicits, with it being 'unsatisfying'.

    Like, I understand that sounds super-condescending, and I'm not saying anything you feel is 'wrong', but you're supposed to long for things to have turned out better. The game is about asking questions, not providing answers. Throughout the entire game, the only thing it promises is uncertainty.

    I disagree with your first point. People are a bit unsatisfied because the game ended on a cheap cliffhanger. If it had ended a few minutes later it would've been better because there wouldn't have been a cliffhanger, more of a "this is where we are, what will happen next?".

  • I dont think the scene that played after the credits was the ending. To me the ending was the moment lee died. I think it was just some foreshadowing. I mean it was sunrise right ? We dont know what happened during the night in savannah with clementine, omid and christa (already posted this somewhere else but thought it could match here too)

  • @JamesM98 said: I disagree with your first point. People are a bit unsatisfied because the game ended on a cheap cliffhanger. If it had ended a few minutes later it would've been better because there wouldn't have been a cliffhanger, more of a "this is where we are, what will happen next?".

    I mentioned in another thread that I just don't view it as a cliffhanger, for the same reasons I don't veiw the end of Blade Runner or Clockwork Orange or similar films as being cliffhangers.

    They choose moments that summarise the tone or theme or ethos of the text at work. Like, break it down.

    Alone and broken hearted, Clementine sits in what looks like an otherwise picturesque pastoral field, however, it's serenity is broken when she sees the tiny tell-tale signs of violence, bullet casings and shells near where she stands. She looks up and sees two figures, unable to discern who they are, unable to tell if they're friend or foe.

    Just because you saved her and did everything you could, doesn't mean you've guaranteed her safety. There are no guarantees. This is the icy terror of being a parent. Some day, if you're lucky, they will outlive you. You cannot help them after that. You cannot know what challenges they'll face, what trials are ahead of them. The only thing you can do is use the time you have to prepare them to the best of your ability.

    That's what the epilogue means to me. It's that parental fear. It's that universal truth.

    I really, truly do not think it was intended as a 'cheap' cliffhanger, because I feel a lot of honest thought and feeling went into it.

  • @Vainamoinen said: [LIST]
    [*]ME3: Powerless protagonist forced to act counter to philosophy of entire ME series; TWD: Active protagonist reaches his only goal left in life.[/LIST]

    That was my biggest gripe with the ending of ME3 and one of the reasons I have no problem with the ending in Episode 5. I was actually really surprised to see so many complaints about it on the board.

    A game ending should be satisfying. It doesn't necessarily need to be what you wanted it to be, but you shouldn't feel cheated, either. Telltale managed to accomplish this (for me) where Bioware didn't, and for that, this game gets my GOTY nod.

  • @Boondock Saint said: That was my biggest gripe with the ending of ME3 and one of the reasons I have no problem with the ending in Episode 5. I was actually really surprised to see so many complaints about it on the board.

    A game ending should be satisfying. It doesn't necessarily need to be what you wanted it to be, but you shouldn't feel cheated, either. Telltale managed to accomplish this (for me) where Bioware didn't, and for that, this game gets my GOTY nod.

    Compared to the Bioware forum after the ME3 ending, everything on this forum is down right tame. People will complaint no matter what but I'm satisfied with the ending but with disappointment in the lost of some of my favorite characters including Lee. Regardless, I'm looking forward to Season 2 and hoping that Clem will be in it.

  • @JByrne said: I mentioned in another thread that I just don't view it as a cliffhanger, for the same reasons I don't veiw the end of Blade Runner or Clockwork Orange or similar films as being cliffhangers.

    They choose moments that summarise the tone or theme or ethos of the text at work. Like, break it down.

    Alone and broken hearted, Clementine sits in what looks like an otherwise picturesque pastoral field, however, it's serenity is broken when she sees the tiny tell-tale signs of violence, bullet casings and shells near where she stands. She looks up and sees two figures, unable to discern who they are, unable to tell if they're friend or foe.

    Just because you saved her and did everything you could, doesn't mean you've guaranteed her safety. There are no guarantees. This is the icy terror of being a parent. Some day, if you're lucky, they will outlive you. You cannot help them after that. You cannot know what challenges they'll face, what trials are ahead of them. The only thing you can do is use the time you have to prepare them to the best of your ability.

    That's what the epilogue means to me. It's that parental fear. It's that universal truth.

    I really, truly do not think it was intended as a 'cheap' cliffhanger, because I feel a lot of honest thought and feeling went into it.

    Fair point, I get what you're saying. It's a great scene, I agree with that, but I just wouldn't have ended it there. Not with shadows.

  • I just finished episode 5 and while I was hoping for a happy ending with Clementine together with Omid and Christa, I do have to say this was a good ending. If there’s anything I’ve learned from The Walking Dead, it’s that there are no happy endings in The Walking Dead. While a part of me wanted a happier ending with more closure, this ending actually made sense within the world of the game.

    Maybe we could get some closure in season 2, like we get to see Clementine with Omid and Christa making a cameo in one episode. But if not, I’m satisfied with what I got.

  • I didn't find it disappointing at all. I thought it was very necessary to hook the fans and have a bit of a cliffhanger.

  • @jeffster said: I get the feeling from a lot of posts that nobody watched past the credits. Make sure you watch past the credits.

    I watched it and I am now confused on what will happen in season 2. I just hope clem doesn't die this time because lee's death was bad enough.

Add Comment