User Avatar Image

Why are there so many negative people on this board saying this game sucks now?

posted by DatDude on - last edited - Viewed by 322 users

It's sort of insane.

People don't realize what telltale are. They are a small budget studio, they don't have the scope or the resources to produce games that are on the same level (in terms of production or vision) compared to heavy rain, or beyond 2 souls.

This is an independent studio that charges it's customers 5$ per episode, 20$ in all..while most studios charge you 60$ + 50$ of DLC.

You guys are so ungrateful. Sure did the walking dead have flaws? Sure, absolutely. But was it not a masterpiece? I truly think it was.

The game was the first time i ever gave 2 shits about the characters and there struggles. It's the first time that it presented characters going through real human struggles, and the writers brilliantly showed the audience the use of the human condition through lee and clementine.

The writing was brilliant as well..I mean seriously pick up gears of war, pick up hitman absolution..pick up any game off the gamestop rack and just compare it to the walking dead's writing, and narrative and it will just make you laugh and open your eyes how truly terrible narrative and writing it is currently in video games.

What telltale was able to do with a shoe string budget and limited scope and vision is nothing short of amazing.

All I hope is that the sales of the walking dead will truly be the stepping stone for them to grow as a company.

46 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @DatDude said: Could you explain why?

    Episode 5 was probably the best in the series imo (and for many other people as well). Why did you hate it, besides the lack of choice and the predictable (even though in the comic book rick lived after cutting his arm) ending..



    [LIST]
    [*]The choices you made at the end of episode 4 didn't matter as you still end up with the entire group not to mention most of them completely forgot why they didn't come with you/came with you. Lazy writing.
    [*]Vernon steals the boat which is not only completely unrealistic that his group could do that but it was also completely out of character for the character himself. Bad writing.
    [*]Christa and Omid didn't get any character development at all. They remain boring bland filler characters and the two remaining interesting characters got killed off early on in the episode. You never really go to learn anything about these two characters. Sure Christa is pregnant and acts like a pregnant woman and Omid is a clown and then what?
    [*]More on Ben and Kenny's death. It was poorly written. Ben falls down and says he's fine he just hurt his leg. Oh and there is a spike through his chest? Then of course walkers surround them and Kenny locks himself in the alley with them for no bloody reason, if he was going to mercy kill Ben he could have done it without the sacrifice.
    [*]Gauntlet: oh how I love disappearing zombies.
    [*]Campman was the most pathetic antagonist on the face of the planet. Your telling me that this guy was able to stalk us since the end of episode 2 without getting killed by walkers. He could just casually watch us through the fence without a fear in the world yet he couldn't beat Lee who might have only had one arm.
    [*]Campman's back story makes no sense. He went out in the woods looking for his son because he disappeared while they were out hunting. Why the fuck were they out hunting for fun during the zombie apocalypse. THAT MAKES NO GODDAMN SENSE AT ALL.
    [*]I also love how Clementine just randomly sees her parents then Lee arbitrarily faints for like the fourth time in the episode and then Clementine was somehow able to pull him to wherever they were.
    [*]Also none of the "hard choices" you made during this episode matter at all. Lee loses his arm, oh well he only used his right hand throughout the entire episode either way. Kenny scene doesn't change anything about anything. Leaving your weapons or not doesn't matter cause they still get knocked away. Doesn't matter if you kill campman or not cause clem does and doesn't care one way or another and it doesn't matter whether you are killed by her or become a zombie. I'm not going to say the the choices in previous episodes didn't matter but the choices in this episode meant nothing at all. At least give me some flavor text. This is just another example of really poor writing on TellTale's part.
    [/LIST]

    In short, bad writing and plot holes everywhere. There weren't even fun little adventure game puzzles to keep me occupied.

  • User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

    @Valkama said: The choices you made at the end of episode 4 didn't matter as you still end up with the entire group not to mention most of them completely forgot why they didn't come with you/came with you. Lazy writing.


    They still remember how they feel about you though based on your choices before when you talk to them while you're resting up.

    @Valkama said: Vernon steals the boat which is not only completely unrealistic that his group could do that but it was also completely out of character for the character himself. Bad writing.
    We only know about him from what he told us in the short amount of time he was in episode 4. He and his group are trying their hardest to survive. Their only source of extra supplies is gone now that it has been over-run by walkers. He was also hurt by Brie becoming a zombie, so it's not a stretch at all to assume that the whole speech about the boat being a bad idea was a diversionary tactic so he could get the boat himself. The Walking Dead is all about seeing what good people get twisted into after they're pushed too far.

    @Valkama said: More on Ben and Kenny's death. It was poorly written. Ben falls down and says he's fine he just hurt his leg. Oh and there is a spike through his chest? Then of course walkers surround them and Kenny locks himself in the alley with them for no bloody reason, if he was going to mercy kill Ben he could have done it without the sacrifice.
    It fits Kenny's character, he may have talked the talk when he told Lee not to give up, but he still felt he had nothing left. He felt bad about complaining about Ben when he heard his back story, so he felt like it was both a chance to help Ben and to end his own suffering. Also, Kenny confirms this if you tell him that "Katjaa wouldn't have wanted this". He says "Yes she would. And either way I get to save Ben or be with my family again."

    @Valkama said: Campman was the most pathetic antagonist on the face of the planet. Your telling me that this guy was able to stalk us since the end of episode 2 without getting killed by walkers. He could just casually watch us through the fence without a fear in the world yet he couldn't beat Lee who might have only had one arm.
    He didn't beat Lee because he's tormented inside and because he wanted Lee to know the pain he's gone through. If you wait too long to grab him after Clem smashes the vase over his head, you can see that he is very quick, as he doesn't hesitate in shooting you at all after his talk is over. It's not surprising at all that he could be a very dangerous foe when he's determined and his mind is not wandering.

    @Valkama said: Campman's back story makes no sense. He went out in the woods looking for his son because he disappeared while they were out hunting. Why the fuck were they out hunting for fun during the zombie apocalypse. THAT MAKES NO GODDAMN SENSE AT ALL.
    He never said they were hunting for fun. He took his son out to train him how to hunt, like Lee taught Clem how to shoot. Lee and Mark were hunting for food during the zombie apocalypse at the beginning of episode 2, so it's no surprise that another group of people would be hunting for food as well.

    @Valkama said: I also love how Clementine just randomly sees her parents then Lee arbitrarily faints for like the fourth time in the episode and then Clementine was somehow able to pull him to wherever they were.Lee didn't arbitrarily faint. He was dying by that point. A major effect of the infection from the zombie bite is a fever. A major effect of fever is going in and out of consciousness. As for Clem being able to drag Lee, it's not surprising that she was able to drag him to safety. She's a healthy girl who was scared that she was going to lose her only friend left. That would have definitely given her a dose of adrenaline, which is known to momentarily increase the strength of people in fight or flight situations (of which that certainly was one).

    @Valkama said: Also none of the "hard choices" you made during this episode matter at all. Lee loses his arm, oh well he only used his right hand throughout the entire episode either way. Kenny scene doesn't change anything about anything. Leaving your weapons or not doesn't matter cause they still get knocked away. Doesn't matter if you kill campman or not cause clem does and doesn't care one way or another and it doesn't matter whether you are killed by her or become a zombie. I'm not going to say the the choices in previous episodes didn't matter but the choices in this episode meant nothing at all. At least give me some flavor text. This is just another example of really poor writing on TellTale's part.
    Kenny was still reeling from the death of his son and his wife (you don't just move on from that, no matter how much you talk the talk, especially not in the short span between episode 3 and episode 5), so it's not surprising he would sacrifice himself no matter who was in danger. As for the others, it's still not known what season 2 is going to do with the season one save files, so all these might matter in the future.

    I thought the season wrapped up well. Yes, I do agree Omid and Christa could have been fleshed out more, and it did end on a cliff-hanger (after the credits with Clem and the mysterious duo), but we knew that season two was coming for a long time now, so it's not surprising. But, episode 5 wrapped up Lee's story well in my opinion, so it was still gratifying to me.

  • @Evinshir said: Actually reality is the complete opposite.

    Gaming is about the only industry where fans just let crap storytelling have a free ride and when someone does even a half decent story they are lauded as geniuses.

    On the other hand, television and film is constantly bombarded with criticism. Check metacritic sometime.

    Film makers and television productions get their fair share of emails and letters from fans complaining about the things they didn't like. And usually in numbers that make video gamers look positively restrained.

    Some shows will get MILLIONS of complaints - and that isn't exaggeration.

    Meanwhile in the gaming world, any complaint no matter how valid gets shouted down with a "you should be thankful for what you DID get."

    What the real problem here is that the video games industry has had it pretty easy for years and seems to really struggle with criticism.

    And if you think complaining gets you nowhere... Ubisoft went on record saying that they preferred the complaints about Assassin's Creed over the praise because the complaints helped them work out what needed to be improved in AC2 - and the difference between those two games was quite an improvement.

    So to those who can't handle the negative comments, maybe you need to just take a step back and not take it so personally that some people wanted more.

    Because some of those negative critiques might just help TTG identify where they can make the second season even better than the first. Imagine that. If you liked the first season, how cool would it be to see the second season be considerably better still?!

    The only way that will happen is for TTG to be able to get feedback BOTH positive and negative.

    Edit: Also, for the record, I didn't think the game sucked. I just don't think it was the revolutionary masterpiece that it is being touted as. It was very well done, but it didn't actually do anything that hasn't been done before.



    Ditto on the negative critiques on movies, just look at The Dark Knight Rises.

  • @Valkama said: [LIST]
    [*]The choices you made at the end of episode 4 didn't matter as you still end up with the entire group not to mention most of them completely forgot why they didn't come with you/came with you. Lazy writing.
    [*]Vernon steals the boat which is not only completely unrealistic that his group could do that but it was also completely out of character for the character himself. Bad writing.
    [*]Christa and Omid didn't get any character development at all. They remain boring bland filler characters and the two remaining interesting characters got killed off early on in the episode. You never really go to learn anything about these two characters. Sure Christa is pregnant and acts like a pregnant woman and Omid is a clown and then what?
    [*]More on Ben and Kenny's death. It was poorly written. Ben falls down and says he's fine he just hurt his leg. Oh and there is a spike through his chest? Then of course walkers surround them and Kenny locks himself in the alley with them for no bloody reason, if he was going to mercy kill Ben he could have done it without the sacrifice.
    [*]Gauntlet: oh how I love disappearing zombies.
    [*]Campman was the most pathetic antagonist on the face of the planet. Your telling me that this guy was able to stalk us since the end of episode 2 without getting killed by walkers. He could just casually watch us through the fence without a fear in the world yet he couldn't beat Lee who might have only had one arm.
    [*]Campman's back story makes no sense. He went out in the woods looking for his son because he disappeared while they were out hunting. Why the fuck were they out hunting for fun during the zombie apocalypse. THAT MAKES NO GODDAMN SENSE AT ALL.
    [*]I also love how Clementine just randomly sees her parents then Lee arbitrarily faints for like the fourth time in the episode and then Clementine was somehow able to pull him to wherever they were.
    [*]Also none of the "hard choices" you made during this episode matter at all. Lee loses his arm, oh well he only used his right hand throughout the entire episode either way. Kenny scene doesn't change anything about anything. Leaving your weapons or not doesn't matter cause they still get knocked away. Doesn't matter if you kill campman or not cause clem does and doesn't care one way or another and it doesn't matter whether you are killed by her or become a zombie. I'm not going to say the the choices in previous episodes didn't matter but the choices in this episode meant nothing at all. At least give me some flavor text. This is just another example of really poor writing on TellTale's part.
    [/LIST]

    In short, bad writing and plot holes everywhere. There weren't even fun little adventure game puzzles to keep me occupied.



    Meh. It featured an excellent emotional payoff between Lee and clem that I think many will remember for a long time.

  • @darknessofheart said: A lot of people wanted Campman to be this incredibly horrible and malicious villain, whereas Walking Dead is not always about pure evil vs good. There is no such thing in this reality and Campman really made for a great reflection into that reality. People wanted a pure evil man who wanted Clem for some horrible purpose; that would've been lame in my opinion though. Campman was great because he made us question what we did and was quite disturbing himself; the simplicity of his vendetta made it realistic and great.



    I agree, but his reason for taking Clem. was stupid IMO.

    As for the OP just ignore them, this has been my best experience this year and I'm sure for a lot of others as well, there mostly just trolls (some of them might actually not like the game, which is fine but a lot of them are just doing it for their idea of funnsies)

  • It doesn't suck. It's an amazing game. It's just the "campman" storyline fucked up what would've been one of the greatest video game stories ever told. They should've just stuck with the concept of survival, finding Clem's parents, and bonding/power struggles with people. I wanted to like episode 5 and I wanted to "like" campman as a villain, but they fell flat and I'm not going to suck up to TTG just because I adore them as a developer. They fucked, in my honest opinion. And I've been calling them out because I don't want season 2 to go downhill because of sloppy writing.

    I give the overall game an 8/10.

    Gary Whitta did a good job with episode 4 until the end with that bullshit cliffhanger. Episode 5 was just terrible. Only redeeming thing was Clem and Lee's final moments together.

  • Why so much hate for the Chapman plot? I thought he was interesting and a decent twist. Wondering why he took his son out on a hunt? Probably something Rick and Carl would do if you think about it, hell Lee was teaching Clem how to shoot etc... except Campman got his son killed.

    He stalked the survivors because he lost his son, his wife, his daughter and that was centered around his failure. Failure to secure anything including their food and supplies. He has nothing left to lose so why not take what's precious to those he blames? It's not like there's anything else to do in the apocalyptic zombie wastes.

    As far as "none of the hard choices making a difference". It's fatalistic, you are to believe they will work and things will be okay or at least better. Then they get worse, much worse. It's realistic, and tragic. Tragedy doesn't end with a happy ending and everything neatly wrapped up, I think consumers of entertainment are far to used to happy endings.

    To me Lee is an Oedipus character, he's doomed from the start and when you first started the game you should have realized things were not going to go well. As people continually died and futility of most if not all of their plans set in, it became increasingly obvious. The early predictions that Lee wouldn't survive became more and more viable. Rather than having him give up or check himself out, he cut of his arm and kept going. Until the end, despite the certainty of failure.

    That's a story that tries to say something. Rather than say, Lee picks up some Zombrex and they find the CDC and it's full of said Zombrex and him and Clem live out their days there till he passes away of old age in his sleep and she shoots him so he doesn't come back.

  • @Atarius said: Why so much hate for the Campman plot? I thought he was interesting and a decent twist. Wondering why he took his son out on a hunt? Probably something Rick and Carl would do if you think about it, hell Lee was teaching Clem how to shoot etc... except Campman got his son killed.

    He stalked the survivors because he lost his son, his wife, his daughter and that was centered around his failure. Failure to secure anything including their food and supplies. He has nothing left to lose so why not take what's precious to those he blames? It's not like there's anything else to do in the apocalyptic zombie wastes.

    As far as "none of the hard choices making a difference". It's fatalistic, you are to believe they will work and things will be okay or at least better. Then they get worse, much worse. It's realistic, and tragic. Tragedy doesn't end with a happy ending and everything neatly wrapped up, I think consumers of entertainment are far to used to happy endings.

    To me Lee is an Oedipus character, he's doomed from the start and when you first started the game you should have realized things were not going to go well. As people continually died and futility of most if not all of their plans set in, it became increasingly obvious. The early predictions that Lee wouldn't survive became more and more viable. Rather than having him give up or check himself out, he cut of his arm and kept going. Until the end, despite the certainty of failure.

    That's a story that tries to say something. Rather than say, Lee picks up some Zombrex and they find the CDC and it's full of said Zombrex and him and Clem live out their days there till he passes away of old age in his sleep and she shoots him so he doesn't come back.




    yeah but doesn't chapman come after you even if you don't take the supplies?

  • @mkane24 said: yeah but doesn't chapman come after you even if you don't take the supplies?



    Your group took the supplies no matter what you say, so that's why he went off for revenge. He wasn't exactly after Lee and Clementime, but he knows what Lee has done in the game and tries to take Clementime away from him.

Add Comment