User Avatar Image

Is this racist?

posted by Doctanian on - last edited - Viewed by 2K users

Is it racist to wish that the season 2 protagonist will be another minority?

I mean, with Lee, the game broke so many unfortunate traditions in gaming. And with the Walking Dead in general. After that travesty that was T-Dog's character, I was glad to have Lee. But now that he's gone, I fear TellTale will go the typical cut and paste brown-haired white male route.

I know it shouldn't matter, but on a certain level, it does. Especially when it comes to video games and the representation of diversity. I mean, majority of video game protagonists look like this:

video-game-protagonists-kids-love-brown-

We have enough Nathan Drakes. Your thoughts?

118 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @MaKTaiL said: I would love to play with a female character on Season 2.

I agree with this from a storyline standpoint, I think Clem needs a "mother" figure to balance out Lee's "father" figure.

• @MaKTaiL said: I would love to play with a female character on Season 2.

Me too!

• @Bananapatcher said: I'd like to see maybe a blonde hair, and blue eyes protagonist kind of like Cloud

With a Buster Sword.

Oh wait, in The Walking Dead? :D

Brown haired white guys are very generic, that's why a lot of developers use them. The 'everyman' look rather than outlandish design (such as every Japanese protagonist ever).

The one and only time I thought about Lee's skin colour during the game was Kenny's comment about picking the lock. Other than that, it's mostly just people talking about it on forums.

Maybe it's because I'm white, I don't really care about Lee being black. I understand why people do though. Lee's just a fallen hero to me now *sob*

I'd still like to see some good female protagonists, though. And is there any game at all where we play as a mother or a mother figure?

• @DreadMagus said: I agree with this from a storyline standpoint, I think Clem needs a "mother" figure to balance out Lee's "father" figure.

That's genius, actually.

• @MsLox said: Race should have nothing to do with your opinion of the character. Whether you are disappointed that a character is white or black or whatever, that's still racist.

Don't forget that "white" and "black" isn't just skin color every time. What I think OP said is about culture too.

• @JabbaDaHuttX7 said: Not all of those characters are white Americans. Shepard is costumizable and Niko Bellic is is Eastern-European. White does not equal = one ethnicity.

Shepard is white in all the promotional materials, even as a female. Niko does have a extremely different culture, but he's still white and therefore still appeals to the most common demographic.

• @Doctanian said: Is it racist to wish that the season 2 protagonist will be another minority?

I mean, with Lee, the game broke so many unfortunate traditions in gaming. And with the Walking Dead in general. After that travesty that was T-Dog's character, I was glad to have Lee. But now that he's gone, I fear TellTale will go the typical cut and paste brown-haired white male route.

I know it shouldn't matter, but on a certain level, it does. Especially when it comes to video games and the representation of diversity. I mean, majority of video game protagonists look like this:

video-game-protagonists-kids-love-brown-

We have enough Nathan Drakes. Your thoughts?

Travesty??? I loved T-Dog. I don't know what you mean when you call his character a travesty. T-Dog didn't get to develop as much as some on the show, but I still thought he was a great character. As far as being racist goes, I'm wondering how you would see it if wrote a post hoping that the next protagonist was white, and saying we'd had enough of Lee's kind of character.

• @DreadMagus said: I agree with this from a storyline standpoint, I think Clem needs a "mother" figure to balance out Lee's "father" figure.

A mother figure? Good Lord, please don't listen to the misleaded DreadMagus. I'd make a terrible mother, 'twas hard enough being a "father". :D

• And Scottish. The next protagonist should be Scottish, dammit!

Not really. Americans don't seem to be good with British voices.

• In defense of Frank West on that picture.... I think Capcom's devs think all NA males look that like.

This discussion has been closed.