User Avatar Image

Is this racist?

posted by Doctanian on - last edited - Viewed by 977 users

Is it racist to wish that the season 2 protagonist will be another minority?

I mean, with Lee, the game broke so many unfortunate traditions in gaming. And with the Walking Dead in general. After that travesty that was T-Dog's character, I was glad to have Lee. But now that he's gone, I fear TellTale will go the typical cut and paste brown-haired white male route.

I know it shouldn't matter, but on a certain level, it does. Especially when it comes to video games and the representation of diversity. I mean, majority of video game protagonists look like this:

video-game-protagonists-kids-love-brown-

We have enough Nathan Drakes. Your thoughts?

118 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @JByrne said: It's really, really, really not the same thing.

White people are in a position of great privilege in the Western world. That's just how it works. There are a hundred games with white people for every game with a non-white person as hero.

I remember one anecdote someone related to me about the production of Mirror's Edge, where the developers received feedback from market-testing that essentially boiled down to two things they wanted altered re: the lead character's design.

A) Bigger breasts.

B) Less Asian.

This is why people claiming colour blindness is problematic; because you are essentially ignoring a very real problem. It won't get solved until people acknowledge the problem is there and actually put pressure on companies to change.

Hate to drag the economy into this, but what is this "very real problem" you speak of? That companies follow what their consumers tell them to do? How is this the fault of the company? If market testing had revealed "smaller breasts" and "more asian", the company would have heeded. This is simple economics.

• If they make him white - Fans: "Come on! The guy should be black again!"

If they make him black - Fans: "What the heck? Why are you making all of them black?"

• @Doctanian said: I know, but other than emails, a few missions revolving around the his past, and the occasional Serbian phrase, Niko doesn't expel much of his culture, instead the player adopts the American culture in Liberty City. From the clothes, to the cars, women, TV, food, radio, nightlife, etc, etc. His Eastern European roots are tossed out the window for the most part. There's really no hard time transitioning, at least, none we see on camera.

So, basically, even if Niko was an average American character coming to Liberty City from San Andreas, the experience would be pretty much the same.

He belittles Roman for forgetting their language... talks about the American Dream being a sham. Considering you spend most of the game shooting people and stealing cars, I'd say he appears Eastern-European enough.

It's not like Lee spends his entire time discussing his culture either.

• I didn't notice Lee was black until it showed pictures of his family.

I just at first thought he was racially ambiguous for some reason. Not sure why Lee is so lightskinned but the rest of his family is darker.

White people are in a position of great privilege in the Western world. That's just how it works. There are a hundred games with white people for every game with a non-white person as hero.

I remember one anecdote someone related to me about the production of Mirror's Edge, where the developers received feedback from market-testing that essentially boiled down to two things they wanted altered re: the lead character's design.

A) Bigger breasts.

B) Less Asian.

This is why people claiming colour blindness is problematic; because you are essentially ignoring a very real problem. It won't get solved until people acknowledge the problem is there and actually put pressure on companies to change.

I'm with everybody else asking, what privilege? And maybe people here do need to think wider than the USA, because I don't know anybody that cares about race here.

However, women all over the world are still fighting for equal rights to men, even in developed countries.

Way I see it, maybe non-white people feel race is an issue, same as how I'm more concerned about female representation.

• @Doctanian said: ... Lol, the funny thing is, the Asian version made bigger breasts in the artwork.
    two_faiths.jpg

It's not only the breast, compare the eyes and facial features. The western world gets the typical badass asian, while the eastern (asian) world gets a westernized juvenile version. :D

Show well, sell well... ;)

• I haven't even played that game, and I knew which one was the Japanese art before I even read the text. lol

• @voodoohandbag said: I'm with everybody else asking, what privilege? And maybe people here do need to think wider than the USA, because I don't know anybody that cares about race here.

However, women all over the world are still fighting for equal rights to men, even in developed countries.

Way I see it, maybe non-white people feel race is an issue, same as how I'm more concerned about female representation.

Colour-blindedness is an issue. I don't expect everybody to understand privilege.

But Walking Dead has always been diverse, the novels had a black protagonist named Josh Lee Hamilton. The comics, and the TV show too. Though in the TV show there is a running joke of how "There can be only one." black man, after T-Dog gets written out and replaced by the black prisoner.

A) Bigger breasts.

B) Less Asian.

The problem isn't that big -- studios like Telltale are American anyway. A lot of the games we play or shows we watch are made in the U.S. in the first place. Most people in the U.S. are white, hence...

If a white person doesn't feel left out when playing as a black person, then why should he feel privileged for playing as one of his own race?

• @Tyrant said: Colour-blindedness is an issue. I don't expect everybody to understand privilege.

Well I feel like an idiot now - I think I misunderstood where he was going with that.

This discussion has been closed.