User Avatar Image

Is this racist?

posted by Doctanian on - last edited - Viewed by 2.2K users

Is it racist to wish that the season 2 protagonist will be another minority?

I mean, with Lee, the game broke so many unfortunate traditions in gaming. And with the Walking Dead in general. After that travesty that was T-Dog's character, I was glad to have Lee. But now that he's gone, I fear TellTale will go the typical cut and paste brown-haired white male route.

I know it shouldn't matter, but on a certain level, it does. Especially when it comes to video games and the representation of diversity. I mean, majority of video game protagonists look like this:

video-game-protagonists-kids-love-brown-

We have enough Nathan Drakes. Your thoughts?

118 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @voodoohandbag said: And Scottish. The next protagonist should be Scottish, dammit!

Not really. Americans don't seem to be good with British voices.

Not as the protagonist. But a Scottish secondary character that has outbursts like Larry would be awesome.

• @Tyrant said: No. How it should be is that Walking Dead at this point, should have accurate representation of the setting it is based out of. Atlanta is like 51% African-American. The only Afro-American character for 2 seasons was T-Dogg (stupid name, by the way).

I see you're passionate about gender and sexism. Women have sought representation for decades, being blind to their differences is what is causing misogyny in other parts of the world in the first place. Accurate representation of women is why we now see powerful characters like Molly, without it, she'd be annoying damsel in distress.

Okay, that totally makes sense about the ratio compared to reality. I don't know, I tend not to notice things like that, or rather, just accept it the way it is.

About being blind to gender, I don't think that's the same thing as being blind to race. Your gender does generally affect your personality in a way you can't control. I judge people based solely on personality - a guy can be black or white, he's still just a guy to me. Men and women are fundamentally different. And surely things like women not having the vote or not getting equal pay were actually because people over-emphasised the differences? Same with different races - these 'minorities' were treated differently, and suffered for it.

Women, children and other races in games are all under-represented. In most cases, they are poorly written. But hey, so are most white male characters.

Well, that's how I see it, anyway :P

I'm not really that passionate about gender (I'm certainly no feminist), but I'd love to see some fascinating female protagonists. In fact, now I really hope Telltale do give us a female lead. They did such an amazing job with Lee, and Clem is the best-written child in a game EVER, I'd love to see how they would handle it. A female character would face issues that males usually don't, especially the TWD's world.

• @HiggsBoson2142 said: Not as the protagonist. But a Scottish secondary character that has outbursts like Larry would be awesome.

Sorry for the double post, but that really IS a bit racist :P I'm kidding. It's true, we really are angry all the time. It's the weather, you see.

• @voodoohandbag said: And Scottish. The next protagonist should be Scottish, dammit!

Not really. Americans don't seem to be good with British voices.

I think we need a real Scottish person as the protagonist! That would be awesome.

• I don't really give a shit about the race of the character so long as they're someone I can actually relate to/believe.

• @anonymau5 said: I think we need a real Scottish person as the protagonist! That would be awesome.

A black Scotsman.

My God it would break so many molds.

• @John W. said: A black Scotsman.

My God it would break so many molds.

A black homosexual female Scotsman. Or Scotswoman...

• @anonymau5 said: I think we need a real Scottish person as the protagonist! That would be awesome.

250px-Demoman.png

problem solved

he's black and he's scottish

happy now?

Scottish AND female. I am expecting a call from Telltale any day now ;)

• @Zombiedude101 said: 250px-Demoman.png

problem solved

he's black and he's scottish

happy now?

aye

This discussion has been closed.