User Avatar Image

Is this racist?

posted by Doctanian on - last edited - Viewed by 1.4K users

Is it racist to wish that the season 2 protagonist will be another minority?

I mean, with Lee, the game broke so many unfortunate traditions in gaming. And with the Walking Dead in general. After that travesty that was T-Dog's character, I was glad to have Lee. But now that he's gone, I fear TellTale will go the typical cut and paste brown-haired white male route.

I know it shouldn't matter, but on a certain level, it does. Especially when it comes to video games and the representation of diversity. I mean, majority of video game protagonists look like this:

video-game-protagonists-kids-love-brown-

We have enough Nathan Drakes. Your thoughts?

118 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @K0t0 said: I'm going to troll an bait you now in an attempt to get a rise out of you

You make no sense. I'd argue with you, but you are probably just some immature kid, and I really don't care what you think. :)

• @Zombiedude101 said: A female protagonist wouldn't be too bad, actually. Though I wonder how anyone could beat Lee's backstory. Or how he started the game.

A female protagonist is a very very bad idea. Black/White/Asian doesn't matter so much, But gender does. Why? because people will have preconcieved notions on what the characters will be like before they go in on a game/movie.

if history has shown us anything, you can't have a famale lead character that is sucessful unless she is exploited sexually. Hell, its the only reason that Lara Croft was sucessful. And before you use the example of Samus, no-one knew she was a woman until the final scene of the game.

Take movie history for example. Why are there no female super hero movies? there are ample comics to choose from. They aren't developed further because of society's preconcieved notions on what men and women are able to do.

Strong female leads are great supporting characters, but are usually killed off or made less significant to their male leads. Tke Vasquez from Aliens or any movie staring Michelle Rodriges.

Then there is the Ripley argument as the Alien movies, (apart from 4) were very sucessful. But Ripley still died. You just cant have a female BAMF and let her live.

Well, I suppose thats enough of a troll post for me today.

• @Kaolla said: .

Then there is the Ripley argument as the Alien movies, (apart from 4) were very sucessful. But Ripley still died. You just cant have a female BAMF and let her live.

I didn't care for the third movie very much, but it was a lot better than the fourth movie (the writer seemed to have taken a bet to see how many times he could work the word fuck into the dialogue). I think that having female protagonist could work, but I think a lot of people wouldn't want to play as a woman.

• @Doctanian said: After that travesty that was T-Dog's character

Exactly what was wrong with T-Dog? He was the biggest fan favorite next to Darryl.

• @K0t0 said: Uh-huh, eric, aside from the fact that nothing you said there is right, it reveals the true reason to your bully problems. Oh nooooo I'm suuuure it was being white that got you picked on...not the fact that you display narrowmindedness, not knowing what fox is and how it irritates everyone, racism, bad taste in entertainment (no rly, fg lacks any of wit and professional directors have even exclaimed their eyerollyness at how poorly fg is written. Its VERY telling that you dont like 'british humour', the polar opposite of the hated family guy 'humour'. Family guy expects its audience to be unintelligent which is why it takes 5 mins just to tell a bland joke, british humour makes a joke and moves on quickly, relying on an intelligent audience to pick up subtlety, so yeah not for you =)) and that you get touchy when told otherwise.

You can't really turn a blind eye on racism. I'm an advocate for equal rights when it comes to discrimination against: age, sex, religion, sexual orientation and race. And it really grinds my gears when people who pretend like white people do not get driscriminated against as well.

IT DOES HAPPEN. What Eric experienced could have possibly been racism or it could have just been obnoxious individuals. We will never know because racism can easily be masked. One thing about the past before the civil rights movement... people actually had the balls to admit they were racist. Now a days people like to pretend they are not but really harbor animosity torwards individuals. By making comments or doing things subliminally. If you question their motives they will quickly deny being racism or turn it on to you... or worst (and the most common) pretend you are just 'imagining' things or paranoid.

I know it all, being born in raised in the south I've seen and lived it. So don't tell me other wise.

Now to those on this notion about having a female lead would be a bad idea. Why would it? So what if people will sexualize her? Maybe if people will stop writing them that way it wouldn't be so hard. Lara croft was a walking sexual stereotype (tight fitting short top that shows her middrift and short shorts?) Not a fair argument to throw her in.

If anything. If telltale decides to make a female lead character. Why not make her a mother with 2 kids she is looking after during the apocalypse? Its hard to sexualize her that way, and she'd be believable. Then again we have sickos here who still would. (Honestly those threads about Carley and Molly are pathetic. :rolleyes: )

Anyways. Stopping now before someone makes a comment about me writing a novel or doing the TL;DR (the epitome of rudeness).

• @lilTomTom said:

If anything. If telltale decides to make a female lead character. Why not make her a mother with 2 kids she is looking after during the apocalypse?

Good point. Did you ever see the mini web episodes that were (or are, I'm not sure) on the AMC website? At the end a mother is trying to get her kids to a safe place, but she winds up getting bitten and so she sacrifices herself in the hopes that she can give her kids enough time to get away (she winds up as the half eaten zombie that Rick comes across in the first episode). She isn't a hero in the traditional sense, but it was very touching the way she sacrificied herself for the good of her kids. If done right, then having a female as the main character might actually work out well.

• @Panzer89 said: Exactly what was wrong with T-Dog? He was the biggest fan favorite next to Darryl.

He answered that earlier, he thinks that the travesty was that T-Dog's character didn't get to develop as much as other characters on the show.

• @Doctanian said: Is it racist to wish that the season 2 protagonist will be another minority?

I mean, with Lee, the game broke so many unfortunate traditions in gaming. And with the Walking Dead in general. After that travesty that was T-Dog's character, I was glad to have Lee. But now that he's gone, I fear TellTale will go the typical cut and paste brown-haired white male route.

I know it shouldn't matter, but on a certain level, it does. Especially when it comes to video games and the representation of diversity. I mean, majority of video game protagonists look like this:

video-game-protagonists-kids-love-brown-

We have enough Nathan Drakes. Your thoughts?

most of those pictured have black hair...

• @Eric Northman said: He answered that earlier, he thinks that the travesty was that T-Dog's character didn't get to develop as much as other characters on the show.

I think he had about as much as Carol did up until he died. They just aren't main characters.

• @Eric Northman said: Good point. Did you ever see the mini web episodes that were (or are, I'm not sure) on the AMC website? At the end a mother is trying to get her kids to a safe place, but she winds up getting bitten and so she sacrifices herself in the hopes that she can give her kids enough time to get away (she winds up as the half eaten zombie that Rick comes across in the first episode). She isn't a hero in the traditional sense, but it was very touching the way she sacrificied herself for the good of her kids. If done right, then having a female as the main character might actually work out well.

I did see the first two mini-webisodes but never watched the whole thing. That sounds sad but thats a believable character.

This discussion has been closed.