User Avatar Image

Is this racist?

posted by Doctanian on - last edited - Viewed by 1.9K users

Is it racist to wish that the season 2 protagonist will be another minority?

I mean, with Lee, the game broke so many unfortunate traditions in gaming. And with the Walking Dead in general. After that travesty that was T-Dog's character, I was glad to have Lee. But now that he's gone, I fear TellTale will go the typical cut and paste brown-haired white male route.

I know it shouldn't matter, but on a certain level, it does. Especially when it comes to video games and the representation of diversity. I mean, majority of video game protagonists look like this:

video-game-protagonists-kids-love-brown-

We have enough Nathan Drakes. Your thoughts?

118 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • OP, it's never racist to want more minority representation in the media. Don't worry about these guys are saying.

And yeah, guys, skin color/gender/ability might not matter to YOU, when YOU see people who look like you all the time, but it does matter to lots of other people. I'll admit that I probably can't understand even close to entirely because I'm white what it's like to try to find positive media as a person of color, but I am a minority in at least two other ways that impact my life on a daily basis... and for one of them, I can honestly say I have never seen a positive representation in gaming. It's not shallow or racist or sexist at all to want to see more positive representation of people who look like you or face similar challenges, especially when representation that isn't stereotyped/troped/negative is really hard to find. Visibility does not necessarily mean acceptance.

• @george1120 said: most of those pictured have black hair...

Brown and black is dependent on user settings (seriously).

• @slough said: OP, it's never racist to want more minority It's not shallow or racist or sexist at all to want to see more positive representation of people who look like you or face similar challenges, especially when representation that isn't stereotyped/troped/negative is really hard to find. Visibility does not necessarily mean acceptance.

Lee starts out in the back of a cop car after murdering his wife's lover, and a lot of the options you have as you play Lee don't cast him in a positive light. I get wanting to see more minorities, what I don't like is hearing "I don't want any more white people." That is racist and insulting, and I think that a person can make their point without resorting to that kind of talk. Either way, it's just my opinion.

• People want more diversity. That means, yes. Less white men. The world is changing and becoming more diverse, people are just tired of seeing the same kind of faces over and over again.

It's starting to get repetitive, and I'm glad Kirkman and Telltale have taken a few steps to address it.

• @John W. said: A black Scotsman.

My God it would break so many molds.

"Oh they're gonna have to glue you back together. In hell!"

• @Eric Northman said: Lee starts out in the back of a cop car after murdering his wife's lover, and a lot of the options you have as you play Lee don't cast him in a positive light. I get wanting to see more minorities, what I don't like is hearing "I don't want any more white people." That is racist and insulting, and I think that a person can make their point without resorting to that kind of talk. Either way, it's just my opinion.

You totally missed the point of my post.

1) It's impossible to be racist against white people. I'm not going to argue with you about this so let's agree to disagree.
    2) I'm white, as I said before, lol. I don't have an issue playing white people but I think that we have had plenty of positive representation and it's time to let other people have a turn every once in a while. And not every white person is a grizzled guy in their 30s, either. I'd like to see more characters like me, as OP would. To me personally, skin color doesn't matter so much, but I totally understand where they are coming from.
    3) Lee is extremely nuanced and that's what's great about his character, but I feel uncomfortable saying more because, again, I'm white and I don't think it's really my place to say if his representation was negative or not.

• @Doctanian said: video-game-protagonists-kids-love-brown-

Funny thing is that you could easily make a zombie fiction meme where the majority of heroes are african american males. Just look at the Romero movies and their remakes alone. Lee fits right in with them. I'm reading Road to Woodbury right now and one of the main characters Josh is another that comes to mind. I don't think there is anything wrong with the OP hoping for a character he could relate to. Personally, I don't really care who stars in the next game as long as they are someone sympathetic.

• @slough said: 1) It's impossible to be racist against white people.

This is wrong on so many levels.

• you could add delusional and retarded to that too.

• @slough said: You totally missed the point of my post.

1) It's impossible to be racist against white people. I'm not going to argue with you about this so let's agree to disagree.
    2) I'm white, as I said before, lol. I don't have an issue playing white people but I think that we have had plenty of positive representation and it's time to let other people have a turn every once in a while. And not every white person is a grizzled guy in their 30s, either. I'd like to see more characters like me, as OP would. To me personally, skin color doesn't matter so much, but I totally understand where they are coming from.
    3) Lee is extremely nuanced and that's what's great about his character, but I feel uncomfortable saying more because, again, I'm white and I don't think it's really my place to say if his representation was negative or not.

1) That arguement comes from a lack of understanding about what racisim is and is most oflten spouted by racists that don't want to take responsibility for their hateful thoughts and deeds. I couldn't disagree with you more, but as long as you are willing to leave it alone, then I will agree to disagree with you.

2) Most games in this country are made by whites, and played by people that also happen to be white. It is understandable that the characters are also frequently white as well. To be frank, I don't care about my characters skin color all that much.

3) You have the right to your opinion, no matter what your skin color is. Lee can be seen as both negative and positive. You shouldn't need to have black skin in order to say that.

This discussion has been closed.