User Avatar Image

Blog: Does Walking Dead really tailor itself to your actions?

posted by The13thRonin on - last edited - Viewed by 1.3K users

Telltale's the Walking Dead... Where your decisions matter... Except when they don't... All of the time...

Don't get me wrong, a brilliant emotional journey but one without any kind of consequences for your choices at all.

Save Carly? She dies anyway. Save Doug? He dies anyway. Steal from the car? Dude abducts Clementine and tries to kill you. Don't steal from the car? Dude abducts Clementine and tries to kill you. It's not a choice if both options are going to lead to the exact same outcome... Its flavour text...

I figured that we would at least get some pay-off from the epilogue... I feel kind of dissapointed.

I hope that season 2 maintains the same great level of story-telling but actually makes the choices have proper game-changing consequences.

I would not complain if you had not given me such high hopes :p. Season one was good but I hope season two is great.

114 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I made this account specifically to answer your question.

It does. 100%.
    I gave up at Ep. 1 because I already knew what was going to happen, and the start was kind of slow. And yes, again. It does.

The reason for TellTale games making it so Lee dies no matter what, is because there are several accounts of replayers. The ones who just replay the game, the chapter, that one moment, just to get the perfect ending. Because he's attacked by surprise. There is no way not to get scratched after you pick up Clementine's hat. And it's just not of his personality to deny picking up the hat. NO ONE wouldn't pick up the hat. Unless you don't have feelings, or you were making the wrong choices on purpose.

Another reason is because there'd be too many endings. And, they already had an ending in plan. It'll resolve around Season 1, and there was no way for that ending to happen without Lee dying. The ending would be 100% different with Lee alive, and it's really hard to script. Really. YOU try scripting that. It already takes a month to make each episode.

An example of things that can change based on your decisions.

1. Doug or Lilly/Carley?
    2. Give her the gun or don't?
    3. Kill Duck or have Kenny kill him?
    4. Who is your team?

These are all based on how people feel about you based on your choices. And can most likely effect Season 2 (this has been confirmed)

• @moonkid said: "This game series adapts to the choices you make. The story is tailored by how you play."

This is the message that greets the player at the beginning of every episode of Telltale’s The Walking Dead game. But is it true?

After finishing the final episode last night, I resisted the call of the pillow and had a bit of a dig around some spoiler-heavy threads on the game’s official forum. Like me, most people had really enjoyed the experience, but there was one recurring negative response. In essence:

“The decisions I make don’t actually change anything! Everything’s the same at the end! Telltale are liars!”

Read more: http://digitalspiritguide.com/how-telltales-the-walking-dead-tricks-us-into-feeling/

Well if people actually knew what "tailor made" meant, they wouldn't be complaining.

Tailor made does NOT mean changing things wildly, never did, never will. If you have a shirt tailor-made for you, it means the sleeves are shorter or longer to match you. It doesn't have a 3rd sleeve for you. Same for this game, it's tailor-made for you, characters will think differently about you based on your actions, it WON'T change the story for you.

How hard is it for people to figure this out?

• @Gman5852 said: Well if people actually knew what "tailor made" meant, they wouldn't be complaining.

Tailor made does NOT mean changing things wildly, never did, never will. If you have a shirt tailor-made for you, it means the sleeves are shorter or longer to match you. It doesn't have a 3rd sleeve for you. Same for this game, it's tailor-made for you, characters will think differently about you based on your actions, it WON'T change the story for you.

How hard is it for people to figure this out?

If you have something tailor-made for you it doesn't have to be a shirt. It could be a sock, or a pair of underwear. It could even be a shirt with three sleeves, if I expect it to -- a shirt with three sleeves would also be tailor-made. The analogy is meaningless because everyone can see what they want.

Telltale did say that you had to live with the 'profound' consequences of your actions though.

• @JabbaDaHuttX7 said: If you have something tailor-made for you it doesn't have to be a shirt. It could be a sock, or a pair of underwear. It could even be a shirt with three sleeves, if I expect it to -- a shirt with three sleeves would also be tailor-made. The analogy is meaningless because everyone can see what they want.

While true people can take things differently, that will happen no matter what. There are people that took what telltale said of BTTF and thought it would be GTA. You can't just let them off the hook because they interpreted things differently. When tailor made was said, people shouldn't expect "EVERYTHING WILL CHANGE FOR YOU", and complain about it. And then when things DO change, they just go "well Lee still died! Well Carly still died!" and completely ignore all that has changed.

Telltale did say that you had to live with the 'profound' consequences of your actions though.

And did we not? I had to live with knowing I stabbed a man with a pitchfork, that Lilly got away with our car after killing my friend, that I saved Ben's life and arguably gave him a worse death, and that I willingly let an 9 year old girl go to a place that could've potentially have people that would shoot her on sight.

Sounds like living to my actions to me.

• The game is tailored to you. You decide who you are. It´s not like an uncharted were the character you play always stais the same. If you act like an ass people will remember it and their reactions to you will be different.

In the preorder forum they actually said that when i asked them so no need to feel robed on my part. The only thing i was a bit sad about was that the ending of episode 4 did not change to much of episode 5s beginning while being called "changing the experience drastic" in the last talking dead episode.

• People need to realize that having multiple endings is a horrible experience. There's a reason when you grow up you no longer read those books where they allow you to dictate the path of the story by turning to X page for this or X page for that.

• Just out of curiosity - did any of you guys actually read the blog post that was the basis for this thread? It looks like TheWalkingBread didn't, because their response doesn't relate to it at all. And then it seems like everyone else has just riffed off what they said. I'd be interested to know if anyone has any feedback on the actual article.

• @TheWalkingBread said: An example of things that can change based on your decisions.

1. Doug or Lilly/Carley?
    2. Give her the gun or don't?
    3. Kill Duck or have Kenny kill him?
    4. Who is your team?

1. Whatever... They Die at the same moment...
    2. What effect does it have?
    3. Same as 2.
    4. Team... it doesn't change anything... Just possibility to cut your arm by other person...

• I think they wanted to do a lot more but realized that they bit off more than they could chew and had to scale it down quite a bit. Hopefully this has been a learning experience for them and they will be able to do a lot more with season 2

• @JabbaDaHuttX7 said: Really. Then how about "Live with the profound and lasting consequences of the decisions you make in each episode?"

And I didn't feel like I got to tailor a shirt in episode five. It felt more like patching one up.

+1.

So much +1.

I don't care how good the story is. If you say the consequences are going to matter and then they matter about as much as deciding whether to wear the blue tie or the red tie to work then you have failed to make the game you set out to make :rolleyes:. I'm not saying it's not a good game but it's certainly not the game that they said it was going to be.

If you sell someone a waffle iron that can't make waffles, but ends up making a pretty good paperweight people are going to be pissed that the thing they bought to make waffles is failing to make waffles.

I can understand people liking the game but if you truly like it and consider yourself a fan then you should want it to get better and if you want it to get better you have to be honest with it. Did it do what it set out to do? Not really... Was it a terrible piece of crap? Certainly not. How could it be improved? By making the decisions more consequential in Season 2 and delivering a better final payoff.

Add Comment