User Avatar Image

The Game Review Thread

posted by ryannumber1gamer on - last edited - Viewed by 432 users

Hey everyone, This is a thread where anyone can make game reviews. It can just be written on a post in this thread or it can be on a blog or it can be a video on Youtube. Anyway have fun :)

51 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • This review is only about the Halo 4 campaign, not multiplayer.

I have enjoyed every Halo campaign until now. I expected better. That is not to say the campaign was irredeemably bad. There were good parts: Cortana’s psychological breakdown, the Mantis, the Prometheans (at first), Promethean weaponry, Promethean vision, the deployable automatic sentry, the elevator shaft climb in the first level, the mammoth (which makes the Elephant from Halo 3 look like a bicycle), and the skulls that are all available for use before game completion. However, the good parts were outweighed by various problems.

Firstly, I was confused about the plot. I have played every Halo game campaign, so I am familiar with the general plot. I played the Halo 4 campaign with the subtitles on, so I heard and read every word of dialogue. After completing the Halo 4 campaign, I conclude it was about something relating to a Didact, Forerunners, and humans-turned-Prometheans. I have not read every Halo book. If I did, I am confident the Halo 4 plot would make sense, but that is a lot to expect from a casual gamer. The Call of Duty series publishes a game every year, yet each game has an understandable plot. Halo 3 was released in 2007. Five years later, an understandable plot wasn’t developed, except for the most hardcore Halo readers. I don’t have data about how many gamers care about plot, but I do, especially when I repeatedly wonder “what is my objective?” I don’t understand the overall plot, so the objectives along the way are fuzzy. The game ended with a nuclear explosion that Master Chief somehow survived. I don’t know how an increasingly dysfunctional AI could protect a person holding a detonating nuclear device.

Secondly, the Prometheans were interesting at first, but quickly became repetitive. The Covenant consists of many members (grunts, jackals, elites, hunters). The Prometheans consist of Knights and their running dogs. The little variety contributed to boring battles.

Thirdly, the game seemed shorter. There are only 10 levels, but two of them are videos (the prologue and epilogue).

There is probably more I could say, but I am struggling to think of every bad thing. At some point, the poor plot, repetitive Promethean fights, and shorter game length zapped the joy playing. I finished the game because I bought it and maybe the game would have improved. It didn’t.

If you want to play a fun action game, play Counter-Strike: Global Offensive or Happy Wars. I suspect Call of Duty: Black Ops II won’t disappoint me.

• No Assassin's Creed game is a stealth game. It's always too easy to just kill all the guards.

• Some days I can't stand game reviewers.

GameSpot's review of Burnout Paradise whines about DJ Atomika and about how crap the ingame music is.

It's rock music. For a fast-paced racing game. What's the problem??
    The music in Burnout Paradise is good. I like it.

I want to say that I should stop paying attention to game reviewers, but how does that help me to know the good games from the bad or the great games from the okay ones before I buy them?

• I hate Gamespot's review of Infamous 2, It's one of my favorite PS3 games and most of their complaints are nitpicks.

• @ryannumber1gamer said: I hate Gamespot's review of Infamous 2, It's one of my favorite PS3 games and most of their complaints are nitpicks.

Wow. The guy doing the video review does a terrible job.

It's like he's saying "inFamous 2 is bad. Listen while I complain at length about the nature of Assassin's-Creed-style free-roaming and how the moral decisions are like Fable instead of The Witcher, because grey moral choices are obviously better than black and white ones. ...oh, there are plenty of awesome aspects to the games, but I'll use a monotonal voice and make it sound like I'm just reading a script to you so the great bits still sound like they suck."

Meanwhile, IGN's review says "The game is fantastic. Buy it. PLEASE. Play the first game first though, because the story is good and the second game follows it."

This reminds me of GameSpot's review of Skyward Sword in which the reviewer gave it a 7.5 (which is a mediocre score from them) for the fact that he's trying to use the controls as if he were playing Twilight Princess and fails miserably at understanding how and why they're different.

• @Chyron8472 said: Wow. The guy doing the video review does a terrible job.

It's like he's saying "inFamous 2 is bad. Listen while I complain at length about the nature of Assassin's-Creed-style free-roaming and how the moral decisions are like Fable instead of The Witcher, because grey moral choices are obviously better than black and white ones. ...oh, there are plenty of awesome aspects to the games, but I'll use a monotonal voice and make it sound like I'm just reading a script to you so the great bits still sound like they suck."

Meanwhile, IGN's review says "The game is fantastic. Buy it. PLEASE. Play the first game first though, because the story is good and the second game follows it."

This reminds me of GameSpot's review of Skyward Sword in which the reviewer gave it a 7.5 (which is a mediocre score from them) for the fact that he's trying to use the controls as if he were playing Twilight Princess and fails miserably at understanding how and why they're different.

Yeah for example the guy complains about how the screen goes black and white when Cole is low on health but its in other games like Uncharted!

• Okay, so I've been playing Burnout Paradise quite a bit now, and I discovered that there is indeed a way to immediately restart your current/last event. It's right there in the Easy Drive menu (push right on the d-pad during gameplay.)

GameSpot and IGN both said a flaw in the game is that there is no way made available to restart events when you fail. I wonder how many people believed them and didn't buy the game because of this.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

It's possible their review copies didn't have this feature and it was added last minute / via a patch.

I doubt it though.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

Family Guy: Back to the Multiverse. 4/10

Boring. Very, very boring. Functional (just about), but boring. It's one of the most repetitive, tiresome games I've played in quite some time. The dialogue snippets (which I reuse to believe weren't ripped straight from the episodes) are repeated over and over again, the combat is exactly the same no matter which 'verse you were in, the levels are linear as hell and it just gets old SO quickly.

Still better than the first game though.

Add Comment