User Avatar Image

Episode 5 Disappointment (vent here) **SPOILERS**

posted by MaroubraDave on - last edited - Viewed by 3.1K users

Telltale,
Firstly i would like to say great game and a fantastic concept. However the ending i would say is not so great. While it is very well made and certainly tugs at your heart strings, I didn't play the game and wait for the ending only to find out i die anyway... Now i know people may argue that you didn't see lee actually turn so maybe he will be ok, but the fact you left it this way is really a let down to the series. I was really looking forward to the last episode but in all honesty it just brought me down and i kinda wish i stopped playing at episode 4. :confused: There should be an alternative ending where you can at least live... Just my opinion.

407 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • yeah i see ur point, i respect that but honestly most people on the internet are angry due to the fact that Lee doesn't make it through the end, this make me more mad because they already knew that Lee was already bitten in ep 4....

I know its annoying how your choices doesn't matter at the end but if you were to really be upset because of this then sorry, but in my opinion as long as Telltale deliver a solid story line then i wouldn't mind, my only small complaint was the same as yours, it wasn't open ended but I wouldn't blame for that because without them this thread wouldn't exist to begin with...

But let me wrap this up, I myself am not one to have high expectations and standards, and plus its a game, even movies and books can make mistakes so in the end i don't really care. I don't play a game to solely criticise and nit pick, i sit back, let my thoughts and emotions flow with the game and enjoy. But with that being said, have a nice day :)

• @Tienak said: The problem with that is not all of us followed every single meeting because we didn't want to know anything about it, I know I certainly didn't. The game stated every single time I loaded up a chaptor that my choices tailor the story, that's what I see each time I play, nothing about some pretentious "Journey".
    The next season has to be more clear on what we're getting ourselves in for, it's a great game there is no denying that but it was still very disapointing that for those of us who didn't watch interviews, got mislead.

Most of the cringy moments in the game came from the writer clearly wanting the player to do certain things, but us not doing it.
    The main villan is proof of that, he was picking straws with reasons to hate my Lee, the fact they make him say "Yeah, well...you lead her to that canibal place! HA! GOT YOU!" was stupid as I had no power over that, I didn't have the option to tell Clementine to go back and I don't think Clementine would be the type to say "Oh, Lee didn't ASK me to go back..."
    I can't remeber the others but to sum them up it was as if he was picking straws to hate Lee, he had no motives to work with because my choices had lead him to that.

It's coming up to Christmas and more importantly, the steam sales. They obviously rushed this game out to meet demands and for the most part they did a good job, if they had cut out the epilogue and just blacked out the screen when Lee died, that would've been fine.
    I still think it's bad game design to give the player an option that means nothing, why chop off the arm if it does nothing? Why save ben if he dies anyway? Just feels pointless, sure, we get some extra dialogue but it mounts to nothing, it feels like it mounted to nothing.

Yeah I save Clementine but why was I asked over and over "Hey, do you want the invincible couple to take care of her?" only for the writer to go "No. MY STORY MY ENDING!:mad:" what was the point?
    You can try and tell me this was for the journey but why would I take this journey again when the last time it lead to disapointment and frustration? Sure, it was a good game, it is an accomplishment in many many ways but this is the wrong way of ending such a great game, it deserves better.

yeah, I can agree with that.

• @Alkio said: yeah i see ur point, i respect that but honestly most people on the internet are angry due to the fact that Lee doesn't make it through the end, this make me more mad because they already knew that Lee was already bitten in ep 4....

I know its annoying how your choices doesn't matter at the end but if you were to really be upset because of this then sorry, but in my opinion as long as Telltale deliver a solid story line then i wouldn't mind, my only small complaint was the same as yours, it wasn't open ended but I wouldn't blame for that because without them this thread wouldn't exist to begin with...

But let me wrap this up, I myself am not one to have high expectations and standards, and plus its a game, even movies and books can make mistakes so in the end i don't really care. I don't play a game to solely criticise and nit pick, i sit back, let my thoughts and emotions flow with the game and enjoy. But with that being said, have a nice day :)

I can respect that point of view and especially the eloquent and non-ranty way it was delivered.

I didn't have so much a problem with Lee dying. I suppose they needed to make room for a new protagonist in Season 2 and I can understand that.

I generally liked the ending minus some of the other charcters dying (which I thought was a bit too forced) and the fact that we got no proper epilogue on how Clementine turned out. I guess because she'll return for season 2 as well.

You have a nice day too :).

• @Alkio said: yeah i see ur point, i respect that but honestly most people on the internet are angry due to the fact that Lee doesn't make it through the end, this make me more mad because they already knew that Lee was already bitten in ep 4....

I think the biggest problem with having Lee die is when the writers give players a bogus opt out "choice" by having him get his arm cut off. I'm sure the creators thought they were trying to send some profound TWD message of no hope and everyone dies, and it was their way of giving some players hope only to dash them blah blah. But the message gets wasted when it becomes just one more thing the player had zero control over. If I had more control over the rest of the game's outcome and Lee STILL bites it even if you cut off his arm, then so be it but I just saw it as yet another reminder that the story really just is not tailored to my actions like I was told it would be. And just before Lee dies I'm given more reminders that my choices mean nothing with that ridiculous Kidnapper who brings up all the "choices" I've made throughout the game, only problem is, none of those choices were even mine and he just so happens to know about the "choices" made long before Lee encounters his car full of goods.

As for "everyone dies" on TWD. Does Rick die? I just want to know, I don't read the comics.

• @JabbaDaHuttX7 said: They promised your choices would matter and drastically affect the ending of Mass Effect 3... it didn't.

They called Mass Effect 'hard sci-fi.'

The ending forces Shepard to act out of character and drastically alters established lore (in a bad way.)

Yeah, I'd say it's more than just Shepard dying.

Yeah, Bioware definitely dropped the ball on Mass Effect.....

• @Eterna5 said: Look guys, I'm going to be blunt. If you came into this game expecting to find a sense of accomplishment from beating it, you were sorely mistaken. zif you even thought you'd get a bittersweet ending you were also mistaken.

I've read every Walking Dead comic, watched every show, and now played every game this series has to offer, I love it. And I feel as though this ending does the series and what it's trying to convey justice.

The television show, Comics and games may be different mediums, but they all have one thing in common: Everybody dies. No matter how attached you get to a character, no matter how significant you think they are to the plot, they will inevitably die. Clementine? She too will eventually bite the dust, hell it may even be in season two. No character is ever safe. So I'll say it again, everybody dies.

If you can't accept this fact, and if you can't accept the fact that this series will never, ever make you feel triumphant at the end, then the walking dead is not for you. Because this series bases itself around the concept of Death and loss.

So are wars, but people survive those too. Not everybody dies in this game: Molly, depending upon how your aim is, lives. Vernon and his group are assumed alive. Christa and Omid are alive. So there are some people who make it out.

• @Eterna5 said: Oh God, this reminds me of the Mass Effect 3 forums.

"Shepurd didn't live and I am mad!1"

Please, don't become the BSN. Not everything ends happily.

It's not about happy endings. (well some people want them. Not me.)

For me I wouldn't mind if lee died in every single possible alternative ending. Cause that ending was pretty epic.

The thing I have a problem with is that the game marketed itself as not being linear and your choices mattered, but in reality, your choices didn't matter, same people left and died no matter what options you picked.

A game like this must have alternative endings otherwise what's the point of giving us options? Just make your own little Walking Dead series spin off web episodes if you want to just tell your own version of the story and give the players no meaningful choices.

The best example of this is when Lilly kills Carly/Doug. You're given like 12 dialogue options in a row with like 4 choices each. When there should've been just 1 dialogue option and 1 choice. "Who cares, you're going to kill him/her anyway."

• @Hazevamp said: As for "everyone dies" on TWD. Does Rick die? I just want to know, I don't read the comics..

Rick is still alive in the comics, the only way I could see them killing him off is if they wanted to end the series for good or have his son take over, but so far his kid is still a kid even if he is a very disturbed kid, so Rick's probably going to be around for awhile in the comics. (Unless they wanted to end it while he was still a kid and have time fast forward to when he's older)

• @Hazevamp said:
    As for "everyone dies" on TWD. Does Rick die? I just want to know, I don't read the comics.

yeah issue 300 which isnt out right now RK said rick already has a planned death

• @Dead Watcher said: So are wars, but people survive those too. Not everybody dies in this game: Molly, depending upon how your aim is, lives. Vernon and his group are assumed alive. Christa and Omid are alive. So there are some people who make it out.

If those characters are ever reintroduced they are likely to die. Some characters are written out and their fates are unknown. But if they are within the vicinity of the main character it is inevitable.

The point remains that no character is permanent.

Add Comment