User Avatar Image

Blog: Does Walking Dead really tailor itself to your actions?

posted by The13thRonin on - last edited - Viewed by 2.6K users

Telltale's the Walking Dead... Where your decisions matter... Except when they don't... All of the time...

Don't get me wrong, a brilliant emotional journey but one without any kind of consequences for your choices at all.

Save Carly? She dies anyway. Save Doug? He dies anyway. Steal from the car? Dude abducts Clementine and tries to kill you. Don't steal from the car? Dude abducts Clementine and tries to kill you. It's not a choice if both options are going to lead to the exact same outcome... Its flavour text...

I figured that we would at least get some pay-off from the epilogue... I feel kind of dissapointed.

I hope that season 2 maintains the same great level of story-telling but actually makes the choices have proper game-changing consequences.

I would not complain if you had not given me such high hopes :p. Season one was good but I hope season two is great.

114 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • There is no games where choices really matter. Even mass effect its just brung up pick a game where choices really matter except heavy rain

• @Noble said: You were given choices, but choices don't mean they change anything in the end. Say you're driving somewhere, you can take several different routes to get there -- they may go in different directions but in the end they all take you to your destination.

The journey is more important than the end.

I don't know, that seems like someone being told they have to drink two drinks but they can choose what drink they drink first. If I choose for Lee to walk over the walk way with the banner first it breaks, if I choose for Lee to wait for christa and omid to cross over before sending Lee over it breaks to force Lee apart from christa and omid. I'm not sure i'd say the outcome is altered enough for the games journey to feel that different. The point is that these variations are too small. If Lee and Christa were parted at another point in the game then yeah, like if it was a different scene. But if we are talking about journey's i'm pretty sure my play through would cover the same scenes,people and places as everyone else.

• @TheWalkingBread said: I made this account specifically to answer your question.

It does. 100%.
    I gave up at Ep. 1 because I already knew what was going to happen, and the start was kind of slow. And yes, again. It does.

The reason for TellTale games making it so Lee dies no matter what, is because there are several accounts of replayers. The ones who just replay the game, the chapter, that one moment, just to get the perfect ending. Because he's attacked by surprise. There is no way not to get scratched after you pick up Clementine's hat. And it's just not of his personality to deny picking up the hat. NO ONE wouldn't pick up the hat. Unless you don't have feelings, or you were making the wrong choices on purpose.

Another reason is because there'd be too many endings. And, they already had an ending in plan. It'll resolve around Season 1, and there was no way for that ending to happen without Lee dying. The ending would be 100% different with Lee alive, and it's really hard to script. Really. YOU try scripting that. It already takes a month to make each episode.

An example of things that can change based on your decisions.

1. Doug or Lilly/Carley?
    2. Give her the gun or don't?
    3. Kill Duck or have Kenny kill him?
    4. Who is your team?

These are all based on how people feel about you based on your choices. And can most likely effect Season 2 (this has been confirmed)

1. Doesn't matter, they both die in the end.
    2. Doesn't matter, she takes the gun in the end.
    3. Doesn't matter, Kenny 'dies'/goes missing in the end.
    4. Doesn't matter, you all get back together in the end.

• This game doesn't matter how the game reacts to your choices, it's how the players react emotionally. I don't know about you but I was heavily embedded into this game emotionally.

Saving Doug or Carley, for example, you get to have the pleasure of meeting and getting to know someone. Have a romance or a bromance. I get it, they're not real, but the creators wrote them so realistically that I was actually really fond of them.

Point being, this game isn't a standard game where I'm just driven to win, in this game I'm actually driven emotionally. I wasn't driven for the need to win the game when I was looking for Clem, I actually wanted to save her because she means something to me. I know it's horribly sappy, but it's just special and I'm disappointed people actually have the views like "oh I saved Carley and she didn't help me beat the game so like what was the point in saving her!!"

• @CarScar said: This game doesn't matter how the game reacts to your choices, it's how the players react emotionally. I don't know about you but I was heavily embedded into this game emotionally.

Finally, someone gets it.

• @Pyrofrost said: Finally, someone gets it.

Um no... Are you deliberately ignoring the large amount of pages that people have linked to in this thread showing that Telltale promised lasting consequences and a branching story? Please go actually open the official promotional page for the game, read it, come back.

• @The13thRonin said: Um no... Are you deliberately ignoring the large amount of pages that people have linked to in this thread showing that Telltale promised lasting consequences and a branching story? Please go actually open the official promotional page for the game, read it, come back.

That was a way to get more attention to the game (I know that it's a dirty trick, they shouldn't have done it), but I honestly don't see why people should care so much though. This is the first time I felt so emotional over a game in my life and I'd be surprised if you could honestly say you didn't too. They deserve NOTHING but praise.

I could honestly say the plot would likely suffer if the writers had to design multiple outcomes to the game. Would you want that? Would you want another Mass Effect?

Yeah you could feel bitter that "omg me giving food to Larry didn't do anything WHAT THE FUUUUUU" or you could have fun with this AMAZING GAME. I'm not even fucking wanking it too, this game is simply amazing.

As I said before too, this game isn't about how your decisions effect gameplay, it's how it affects you personal. I mean sure me saying "I'll... miss you" to Clem didn't have any effect on the game, it did however make me cry. I'd rather have that emotional connection rather then what you people wanted. Unless you wanted both, well then good luck finding a gaming company that's capable of that shit.

• @The13thRonin said: Um no... Are you deliberately ignoring the large amount of pages that people have linked to in this thread showing that Telltale promised lasting consequences and a branching story? Please go actually open the official promotional page for the game, read it, come back.

No, I'm not. I honestly read every post in this thread (seriously) and my thoughts on the issue can be found here: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=734501#post734501

Read THAT, and then come back and talk to me. Also, stop being an ass. #lawyer'd

• I think a lot of players had fun despite their choices actually mattered. But developers need to think about the effect and even more potential for mainstream success if choices ACTUALLY mattered to the point where it would compete with similar games such as Fallout 3/New Vegas and Heavy Rain.

The choices are great, characters are realistic. I see a lot of players are emotionally invested. It's one of the best games I've played this year, but it can be even greater if choices mattered. That's all.

• "Some may prefer to call what the Walking Dead does with its plot “cheating”, but in fact all art involves the creation of something out of nothing. And thus all art is – from this perspective – illusion. The trick is in constructing your meaningful story so that the audience can’t see the strings. Or – even better – so that its impact is emotionally powerful enough that they stop caring that there are strings. The Walking Dead is a great game (and in my view a great work of art) because by the time you see the strings, it has you by the throat"

The article is dead on and it is why I love the game so much. Its draws you in. Even though you know that it will send the same no matter what you do, it does not at the same time. Who is with you through the story, who has your back, who will leave you to die if you can't save yourself. Is so much more powerful to me playing this game then if everyone gets the same ending. Its not the destination but the journey.

Add Comment