User Avatar Image

Telltale's mistakes

posted by sattmullivan on - last edited - Viewed by 556 users

I should first mention i enjoyed the game very much and look forward to the sequel, but here are some criticisms:

My biggest gripe with this game is no puzzles...The reason i like telltale games so much is because its a return to classic puzzle games where story and problem solving are important and fancy graphics and sound are not necessary. But seriously, putting batteries in a radio was the biggest puzzle to be solved here. other than that it was just an interactive movie (like jurrasic park). Boy it sure was fun pressing 'q' really fast. at least the story was worth while but...

Gripe number 2 is the lack of tying the story together. It seems obvious to me that telltale wrote each episode at a time. They should have written out the whole thing so they could tie the episodes together. honestly there is very little difference your decisions make on the main story line and thats fine, but adding in little references to previous events here and there would have made a more fun story.

Example.

What i wanted the most- The guy who kidnapped clementine... he has been following you since you stole stuff from his car?? how about this instead:

He was the son of the senator that Lee killed before the zombie thing happened. He was been tracking him down all this time to get revenge now that there are no legal consequences. That would have been a million times better. Or even if he was a St John cousin or something. Instead of just some schmuck who lost his family.

20 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Pyrofrost said: If you save Carley, there are multiple jokes about her ineptitude with batteries

I didn't help Carley with the batteries and she and Lee still made references to it. SMH, TellTale.

• @Doctanian said: I didn't help Carley with the batteries and she and Lee still made references to it. SMH, TellTale.

That's... slightly disappointing.

• @Doctanian said: I didn't help Carley with the batteries and she and Lee still made references to it. SMH, TellTale.

I noticed this too,maybe she had another complication with something that needed batteries during the three months after episode 1...

• @FarmerJoe said: I noticed this too,maybe she had another complication with something that needed batteries during the three months after episode 1...

Quit making excuses, bruh. TellTale slipped up.

• I'm not making excuses,bruh,that post wasn't' meant to be serious. I actually agree that Telltale slipped up with that. I suspect they hadn't even planned to put those references in but decided to do so because a lot of players found Carley's ineptitude laughable.

• Only real mistake I have found is the kenny ben thing in ep 5. I saved all my bullets from the mansion (didnt shoot even 1 walker in the hallway) so I could give my extra ammo to kenny when he asks for it. I give it and still only one shot is heard yet christa says she heard shotS. So boo for that as I figured kenny might have a better shot that way.

• @Doctanian said: Don't let the offhanded comments get to you. Your complaints are valid.

I really wish they would've tied up Lee's past. It seems kinda wrong to introduce it as this huge plotpoint in the start of the series then completely forget about it near the end.

Durring my conversation with campman I talked about killing my wife's lover. Lee said he was sick and came home early and some other stuff I can't remember right now. I wouldn't call it in depth, but it also was not just completely dropped either.

*bolding is mine*

• Im glad to have started such a busy thread. Its true, most of you are right, there were a lot of references to things you have done but i guess i was looking for someway to tie in lees backstory. Now some of you may think tying in lee's backstory would be stupid, and you are entitled to be wrong. Also if you said this isnt the type of game for puzzles you are also wrong. The puzzles in this game, IMO, were just put there to help make the game seem a bit longer. I really think TT spent too much of their time working on the graphics (which i really did like) than anything else.

After reading everyone's replies and thinking a bit more i think my problem with the story part of the game is that this was not made for the avid telltale fan or walking dead fan. This game seems to be part of the bandwagon for all those people who are really into AMC's the walking dead. People who dont care about good story telling. Im willing to guess about 80% of the people who played this never heard of telltale before they bought the game, and have never read a single issue of the original comics.

Im not trying to be pretentious, but i understand i am.

• Yeah I think the Senator bit would have been a nice ending as well. But having it be the owner of the stolen goods gives more player interaction and consequence.

other than having the villain be a off screen character it is better to have it be someone the player has "interacted" with in some way.

• I got the impression he wasn't ever meant to be some evil overlord, 'boss' type character. We built him up ourselves, he was just a normal man who had lost everything.

Probably going to come across some maniac who just likes killing etc in season 2

Add Comment