User Avatar Image

The Walking Dead Game -vs- Heavy Rain

posted by dubesor on - last edited - Viewed by 2.2K users

I have read many times posts about people comparing Heavy Rain to TWD and I think it is legitimate.

If we compare the 2 games they are very similiar: both games have are heavily story driven, strong character development, minor focussed on gameplay mostly quicktime events, many choices.

Now if I compare both games I have to give telltale 1 pluspoint: I got more attached to the characters than I did in Heavy Rain. But if we compare choices, and IMPACT of choices TWD falls behind majorly. None of the choices make any difference besides some dialoguechanges or other temporary effects that are NOT "profound and lasting" (like advertised) but they have no influence on the story and no impact on the outcome whatsoever. Heavy rain on the other hand has like.... nearly 20 different endings and results depending on your choices. I think there are 17 different endings alone. This game has truly profound and lasting consequences to your choices - unlike TWD where it seems you only have "the illusion of choice".

Now, I see why that many different endings might not be possible for Telltale, as it would be near impossible and ludicrously expensive to start a 2nd season with that many endings, but at least give us 3 or so different results depending on what we did throughout our game? Or anything at all? I played this game 3 times, with 3 times totally different choices yet everything plays out the same and ends in only 1 ending.

After I played Heavy Rain I immediately played again, and the result was COMPLETELY different. My choices had MAJOR IMPACT. In fact I played it 6 or 7 times and every time it played out differently. The characters ended up totally different and the endings were completely different depending on my choices.

Now, with TWD after only my 2nd playthrough (opposite of 1st playthrough) I noticed there is no point in the choices. Everything feels so minor and temporary I have never seen a single choice that was profound and lasting.

Now, TWD was one of the better games I have played in 2012 due to story and character development. But gameplay and choices are rather poor.

Bottom Line is I wished they would take a route further down to Heavy Rain, where your choices actually altered the outcome.

Anyone with me on this?

56 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I think that's because you control more than one character.

• Heavy Rain has so, SOOOO many different outcomes, TWD barely stacks up to it that way.

In terms of characters and interacting with them? TWD put real emotion behind these pixelated characters that made me love them all, which Heavy Rain just didn't have for me.

• @rachellouise85 said: I think that's because you control more than one character.

I don't see what that has to do with anything tbh. For example in EP2 when the rescued guy jumps on Katjaa, if you fail -> game over.
    In Heavy Rain you "screwing up" it would have simply killed off Katjaa and continue the story without her. There are many many more situations like this. And In my opinion lasting and profound decisions like these are what is currently missing in TWD Game. That was the point of this thread.

• @dubesor said: I don't see what that has to do with anything tbh. For example in EP2 when the rescued guy jumps on Katjaa, if you fail -> game over.
    In Heavy Rain you "screwing up" it would have simply killed off Katjaa and continue the story without her. There are many many more situations like this. And In my opinion lasting and profound decisions like these are what is currently missing in TWD Game. That was the point of this thread.

How can it have nothing to do with it? You have more than one character, so you can still participate after 'your' character is dead. If all the characters are dead, then well...game over (story ends)(after reading about deaths, the characters cannot die until certain points either anyway), which is about the same as TWD's chars not dying until they're 'allowed' to

• When they release heavy rain for the PC I'll compare it.

• That's a hard choice but I would have to go with Heavy Rain for the simple fact that it's longer, more story driven, and dying doesn't end in "Game Over."

• User Avatar Image
    bubbledncr Telltale Staff

To me the big biggest difference in HR was that you couldn't die. If you failed at something, the story just continued on, with the effect of your failure either just being your opinion of yourself, or how much information you had at the end of the game.

Harder to do with zombies though, since its hard to fail at killing zombies and not get bit...

• @bubbledncr said: To me the big biggest difference in HR was that you couldn't die.

Did you play the game? Because you definitely could die, several ways. You could die in the Warehouse, you could die by suicide (getting arrested 2x with no one helping) or by not finding Shaun and shooting yourself at home or at his grave. Or ofcourse you could do fine and live happily ever after.

None the less - your statement is false.

• User Avatar Image
    bubbledncr Telltale Staff

@dubesor said: Did you play the game? Because you definitely could die, several ways. You could die in the Warehouse, you could die by suicide (getting arrested 2x with no one helping) or by not finding Shaun and shooting yourself at home or at his grave. Or ofcourse you could do fine and live happily ever after.

None the less - your statement is false.

I did play the game - though I never died. I just either succeeded at things, just barely suceeded and felt bad, or the character just left the situation. Did those deaths lead to game overs? Or did the game continue on with that person dead?

Perhaps I should have said no game overs.

• when you die the story simply continues. obviously you get a "bad" ending. But that's what I wish for when I want any of my choices/actions to matter.

I am not a huge fan of "GAME OVER": "you didn't do what the developer wanted you to do. Now replay and do exactly as you are told to proceed."

Add Comment