User Avatar Image

The Mystery Voice: A Plausible Scenario

posted by JackSchirmer on - last edited - Viewed by 881 users

A scenario occurred to me whereby the mysterious voice over Clem's walkie-talkie is entirely benevolent (albeit on the suspicious side). I'll leave interested readers to fill in a few blanks.

Clem's dad was injured. Clem's mom brought the dad to the hospital in Savannah. Mystery Voice was a nurse at the hosptial, and his hobby is shortwave radio (heck, why not). In tending to Clem's dad MV becomes friendly with both parents. The mom in particular confides their dilemna. Her husband is ill and their child is back in Macon, ostensibly under the care of a babysitter, but as the night progresses it becomes clear that all hell is breaking loose throughout the region, so mom gets more than desperate enough to discuss things with a stranger. Clem's mom mentions the walkie-talkie and shows her wt to MV who says, 'aha, that won't reach Macon, but I know how to boost the signal, if that'll help, and how to pick up weak signals at long distances'. As the ZA worsens, the nurse/ham radio operator gets seperated from Clem mere et pere, and out of concern for their little girl attempts to contact her through his shortwave equipment. He's holed up in his apartment and as he begins to talk with Clem learns that she's currently with a middling sized group of armed, angry people who sometimes hit each other.

Now, if you're MV, wouldn't you want to reunite Clem with her parents, but without exposing yourself to this armed group unnecessarily? Wouldn't you rather take a look at them first without revealing yourself? One way to do that is to stay in touch with Clem but without revealing yourself to this Lee character, and that homeless guy she mentioned. The obvious way to do that is to ask Clem to keep your conversations with her a secret for the time being. Also, given that you'd be able to tell Clem some specifics about her parents, you'd be able to prove to her that you knew them. Plus, Clem also thinks that just maybe one of the people in her group shot a kid. It happened out in the woods so she's nor sure. Also, this Lee guy cut Clem's hair. What kind of weirdo gives haircuts during the ZA?

Far better to conceal your identity and location until you get a look at this odd bunch--before revealing yourself and before leading them to Clem's parents whom you like and who may be very vulnerable if they're even still alive--than blindly give out too much information to armed adults you don't know but who sound pretty darned sketchy.

50 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Yeah, whatever Clouseau. Her radio may have limited range, but the one on the other end obviously doesn't.

@Ninnuendo said: A) It was never broken and Clem knowingly lied
    In which case someone has been talking to her all along (and could only be Kenny)

How about she's eight-years-old, a few years shy of her tech certification, and probably had no idea whether it was actually broken or not. Obviously she was wrong.

@Ninnuendo said: Would make sense. Chuck being either part of the bandit group or possibly Daddy St John.

Don't even start...

• @Zeruis said: It WOULD be interesting to know if Clem had been lying to Lee the whole time.

If she has I'll finally be able to vote her out! She's been holding me back (morally) since Ep2

• Unless Clem's walkie-talkie is a satellite radio, there's no way he could hear any of her broadcasts from Savannah (with as much as he seemed to know about the group, he had to have talked to her prior). He couldn't have been stalking the group because there's no way he'd beat them to Savannah when they're traveling by train. I can't make sense of it, to be honest.

• @Marleysativa said: Unless Clem's walkie-talkie is a satellite radio, there's no way he could hear any of her broadcasts from Savannah (with as much as he seemed to know about the group, he had to have talked to her prior).

All we really know about the radio is that is has the range to reach across Macon from the chemists to the motel. Being honest, it doesn't look like a satellite phone though and who would give such a phone to a child anyway? If it had that kind of range, wouldn't her parents have used it while they were in Savannah to talk to Clem?

@Marleysativa said: He couldn't have been stalking the group because there's no way he'd beat them to Savannah when they're traveling by train. I can't make sense of it, to be honest.

Why would he need to beat them to Savannah? If it's Chuck, he's travelling with them and leading them into a potential trap.

• @Cyreen said: How about she's eight-years-old, a few years shy of her tech certification, and probably had no idea whether it was actually broken or not. Obviously she was wrong.

She's smart, it's her radio, you'd think she knows how to use it. Even if she then realises it's not broken, she says absolutely nothing to Lee about it or this person who supposedly knows where her parents are. Girl has a lot to answer for.

• @Ninnuendo said: All we really know about the radio is that is has the range to reach across Macon from the chemists to the motel. Being honest, it doesn't look like a satellite phone though and who would give such a phone to a child anyway? If it had that kind of range, wouldn't her parents have used it while they were in Savannah to talk to Clem?

Why would he need to beat them to Savannah? If it's Chuck, he's travelling with them and leading them into a potential trap.

It's more likely that Clem's walkie-talkie is a horizon defying device than Chuck being the guy trying to communicate with her. In my opinion of course, haha.

• Lets just chalk this one up to video game logic and leave it at that, eh?

• After playing through it a 2nd time, yeah cross Kenny off that list. It's either Chuck or an unknown.

• @Ninnuendo said: She's smart, it's her radio, you'd think she knows how to use it. Even if she then realises it's not broken, she says absolutely nothing to Lee about it or this person who supposedly knows where her parents are. Girl has a lot to answer for.

I have my theory, you have yours. We'll see how it plays out. :rolleyes:

• So, did anyone guess correctly who the mystery voice was? I certainly didn't.

The good news is that the revelation tells us that the roads from Macon to Savannah are completely clear, as someone could drive between the two in a car faster than a train could.

Add Comment