User Avatar Image

Carley & Doug: Easy & Hard Mode

posted by HiggsBoson2142 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.7K users

I realized that the game is "better" in a sense when Carley is around, and that Episode 2 and 3 are easier because of her. My reasons?

Carley: Easy mode
-In Episode 2, you get attacked by an undead Travis/David. With Carley around, she will shoot the walker in the head
-In Episode 3, you get the chance to interact with Carley to the point where she can give you a kiss on the cheek, lifting your hopes and spirits.
-In the bandit raid in Episode 3, when the walkers begin to attack, Carley will assist you in taking them out.
-In Episode 3, she also gives you the chance to tell the others about your past, which makes them respect you more.

Doug: Hard mode
-In Episode 2, you get attacked by an undead Travis/David. With Doug around, he will attempt to hit the walker in the head with a plank of wood. It doesn't have much affect and you have to deal with it yourself until Larry/Mark takes it out.
-In Episode 3, you get the chance to interact with Doug. He will tell you that he feels completely useless, which in my case, made me kind of sad.
-In Episode 3, when the bandits raid, Doug will warn you about the incoming walkers, and not wanting to waste any bullets, stays in the RV. That leaves Lee to take them out.
-You saved Doug. He doesn't know about your past. Therefore everybody is taken by surprise when Lilly rats you out.

I feel like Telltale unintentionally made the game harder for those who picked Doug. Funny thing is, most people picked Carley.

83 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Merc said: F. He goes out a million times more heroic than Carly.

I agree but when you first play, in episode 1, you wouldn't know that though. :P

Although Carley died a badass ("you think you're some tough bitch...")... Doug died a hero.
    G. Fat people scarfing biscuits down never gets old.
    @Merc said: H. He had a Beer T-shirt on, insta-win in my book.

(Bear + Deer)
    True facts.

• @Luigi01080 said: and that was why she deserved to get shot. I saved doug and he is right that it was a bit more challenging but telltale made the choice completely stupid as they gave people who saved carely a chance to tell everyone about lee's past and gain everyones respect. I feel like they really didnt let doug assist the other players like those who immediatley went for the pretty girl with the gun(campman was right).

Aww come on now, don't be bitter because Doug had no real use in this game.

I do find it strange they gave Carley a much more important role than him, seeing as they stated they were trying to avoid situations where one decision was far more useful than it's alternative.

• Another thing that's a little weird is that Doug isn't on any of the title screens. He's one of the few main characters that is not on at least one (only other main characters that aren't on any title screens, that I can think of, is Omid and Katjaa). Carley is on one, since both characters are of the same importance (or should be at least) they should both be on at least one...

Doug and Carley should have both been on the first episodes title screen. :(

• @CarScar said: I'm interested to know, why did some of you choose Doug? I'm not bashing you, I'm just interested to know your reasons.

I thought Carley was a bit of a bitch tbh. Well or maybe I was just an ass to her. Either way Doug was a cool guy through and through.

• @Luigi01080 said: and that was why she deserved to get shot.

That's harsh, man. :(

• @CarScar said: I'm interested to know, why did some of you choose Doug? I'm not bashing you, I'm just interested to know your reasons.

Eh, it was in the heat of the moment. I turned to Doug first.

• @HiggsBoson2142 said: Eh, it was in the heat of the moment. I turned to Doug first.

The same can be said of why people saved Carley.

On related note, I think the developers expected people to pick Doug, because Carley knew your secret. But I think they underestimated gamers initial ideals to "SAVE DA GIRL!!1" and "SHE SHOOTS!!1 SHE SCORES!!1".

As for the secret, considering how many people revealed the bite that Lee had, it shouldn't be surprising the same group of people also were willing to save the person that knew their secret, and vice-versa.

• Yeah, TT honestly seemed surprised that about 75% of gamers saved Carley. If they made Carley the tech geek and gave Doug the gun, things might have even out a bit more. I honestly liked Carley and her having the gun was an added bonus.

• I saved Doug because
    1: there were about three zombies grabbing him trough a window, he was defenceless
    2: Carley was grabbed by one zombie, and proved that she is a badass.
    3: I really didn't think one zombie would kill Carley

Add Comment