User Avatar Image

Carley & Doug: Easy & Hard Mode

posted by HiggsBoson2142 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.1K users

I realized that the game is "better" in a sense when Carley is around, and that Episode 2 and 3 are easier because of her. My reasons?

Carley: Easy mode
-In Episode 2, you get attacked by an undead Travis/David. With Carley around, she will shoot the walker in the head
-In Episode 3, you get the chance to interact with Carley to the point where she can give you a kiss on the cheek, lifting your hopes and spirits.
-In the bandit raid in Episode 3, when the walkers begin to attack, Carley will assist you in taking them out.
-In Episode 3, she also gives you the chance to tell the others about your past, which makes them respect you more.

Doug: Hard mode
-In Episode 2, you get attacked by an undead Travis/David. With Doug around, he will attempt to hit the walker in the head with a plank of wood. It doesn't have much affect and you have to deal with it yourself until Larry/Mark takes it out.
-In Episode 3, you get the chance to interact with Doug. He will tell you that he feels completely useless, which in my case, made me kind of sad.
-In Episode 3, when the bandits raid, Doug will warn you about the incoming walkers, and not wanting to waste any bullets, stays in the RV. That leaves Lee to take them out.
-You saved Doug. He doesn't know about your past. Therefore everybody is taken by surprise when Lilly rats you out.

I feel like Telltale unintentionally made the game harder for those who picked Doug. Funny thing is, most people picked Carley.

83 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @TheRickGrimes said:

Carley also defends Ben x10 more and calls Lilly a scared little girl, and that she needs to get the fuck over it. That made me laugh my ass off.

"You think you are some tough bitch but you're nothing but a scared little girl."
    That line always made me laugh... until random headshot occurred.

• @TheRickGrimes said: Who'd be more useful in a zombie apocalypse?

Carly: Female, able to use a gun and get nice headshots and has good points.

Doug: ..Nerdy technician guy.

Remember this same person with the gun couldn't figure out how batteries worked :L

Thing is a tech guy like Doug would be useful for hotwiring cars or helping to set up small circuit grids for supplying power to an area or a house your fortified in and you can always teach someone how to shoot but you can't teach someone how to use a lot of tech.

I think of it more as a lot of players in the heat of the moment chose Carly because
    1. She's a women, women and children first probably kicked in.
    2. She has a gun which was more likely to help your situation to get out of the pharmacy.
    3. She could have possibly saved Doug afterwards.

People more likely saved her for those options at the time but in retrospect Doug would have been a more useful member to the group later but at the time no one thought
    "Hmm I wonder if Doug would be more useful later on IF we get out of here alive" what a lot of players thought was
    "Hmm I wonder who is more likely TO GET us out of here alive, unarmed guy trapped by 3 zombies or an armed girl only being held by 1."

• I'm one of the 20% the chose to save Doug, but it's baffling TellTale were surprised that this audience and "maturity" level of gamers would choose to save Carely over Doug, given the amount of screen time she was given in Episode 1, she was virtually pushed to the forefront. They vastly over-estimated their audience and the social climate.

• @NeonBlade said: I'm one of the 20% the chose to save Doug, but it's baffling TellTale were surprised that this audience and "maturity" level of gamers would choose to save Carely over Doug, given the amount of screen time she was given in Episode 1, she was virtually pushed to the forefront. They vastly over-estimated their audience and the social climate.

Doug needed to have a lot more screen time if Telltale wanted that choice to be close.They didn't have to make Doug the sharpshooter but perhaps he could of been the one to go with Lee and Glenn while Carley acted as the lookout.Carley had a lot more screen time and aspects for the player to bond with.
    Did they really expect that Carley knowing the truth would be a bigger factor by making players deciding to be ruthless and let Carley die just to prevent Lee's secret getting out?
    I really liked Doug but I have to admit a part of me chose him because I definitely knew which way that statistic was going and I wanted my game to be differnt to the majority.

• I think for the most people it went like this:
    "Boobs or a fat nerd"

• @Varengas said: I think for the most people it went like this:
    "Boobs or a fat nerd"

For some maybe but I've noticed that a lot of female players chose Carley too.I think a big part of it is that Carley had a lot more dialogue and interactions with Lee but I'll admit the gun and the possibility of a future romance/SEX! probably played their part too.

• I accidentally read some spoilers before I played the game, about how she was a good shot and saves you, get to tell group about your past, etc.
    If Doug was the news reporter and Carley was IT guy, I would have saved Doug :/

• Females are gender inclusive. So they tend to favor their gender, its called in group bias, so its natural women would favor Carley. Sadly men favor women as well, because they are our biological opposite and desire.

• Telltale gave less opportunities for Doug to do something important, I mean come on, you see him for 2 minutes while Carley is with you for half of the episode! Another thing is that Carley allows you to tell the group about your past, while Doug doesn't give you such an option. They should have balanced those two characters better.

• I think Doug's boobs were bigger than Carley's.

Add Comment