User Avatar Image

The ZA and pets [warning]

posted by xwmstormx on - last edited - Viewed by 1.3K users

This topic could get very dark for some regarding our pets during an actual Zombie Apocalypse. I advise some not to read it.

The non dark part:
I wanted to start off with the fact that a huge majority of humanity has some kind of pet. Dog, Cat, hamster, fish. Whatever it may be. Now, I'm not going to focus on the lesser pets such as hamsters or fish or what can be considered the less noise producing pets.

Instead, this is going to focus on the louder pets such as dogs, cats.

From what is known, when it comes down to a ZA one of the survival aspects is to draw as little attention to yourself as possible. Which means you should not make noise as we all know that Zombies will follow a noise for miles out of instinct. (note the horde following the train in ep4)

With that in mind I have no doubt that a lot of the louder pets, mainly dogs and cats would attract a LOT of attention!

Cats:
While cats can run they can't defend themselves. They can try by hissing, or scratching or biting.. But that wouldn't deter a hungry Zombie so the cat just became dinner. In a family atmosphere they can be relatively quiet they still will be a drain on resources over time. Like many animals it doesn't take long for a house cat to become a feral cat when they are pushed into it. Some cats do like to meow or cry now and then so those types are dangerous to have around in the ZA.

Dogs:
These animals are the louder yet more protective of the two. Dogs in a protective mode against a human can overcome most and get away or hurt their attacker enough to deter them. Unfortunately a Zombie does not have the same fight or flight triggers as a normal human being. So while the dog may attack it will be putting itself in danger to being killed and eaten since the dog can't do enough damage to a Zombie to deter it from it's meal. In my opinion, dogs are the first species to be killed off.

So here we are in the Dark part:
You have a dog or a cat that make a lot of noise. It could easily encourage a Zombie horde to you and your family by barking or chasing after them and then running back to the home leading them to your family.

What is done with the pets we love? Do you kill them off in the beginning if they get loud or do you just let them bark and give away your position. Granted a lot of pets can be trained to not bark or make noise but a good portion of them are not so well trained.

I have to admit that I have a very loud dog. She just doesn't listen when she is told to be quiet. A person can walk down the street and she is barking at them. She barks at everything even if there is nothing to bark at. I have to admit here and now and say that my beloved pet would have to be killed in order to protect my family for either to prevent them from attracting Zombies to my home or to provide as an emergency food source for my family.

So there en-lies the question. What do you do with your loud pets? Do you kill them off, do you spare them, do you eat them, what do you do when your family is in danger due to the pet simply giving away your position?

103 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @CalDW19940 said: Well would you do the same for a baby if it was crying? It is a tough choice to make.

As far as we know (going by TWD zombies) only humans are effected by the virus that causes zombification after death. The animals are immune to the bites and quite a lot of dogs should be able to escape a human or two if they need to with the cost of getting a few injuries. Some dogs are intellegent enough to know when it's time to fight or run and I think you could probably teach a dog or it will learn on it's own that barking or growling at the dead humans has no effect and will only cause more danger so will avoid doing so and most likely stay quiet if it's owner or whoever it's protecting is staying quiet.

I think it's possible you'd be able to have a dog with you in a ZA depending on it's breed, Chihauhuas would most likely not be all that much use even if it's trained to be quiet but a larger protective dog like a Retriever, Doberman, German Shepard or Rotweiller would not only have a more fighting chance and better odds of escaping but if it's got a close enough bond to it's group it would do just about anything to help by protecting young children or being able to alert it's owners of danger due to being able to smell or hear the dead much earlier than we'd be able to.

Damn, I was just about to mention the baby crying and dogs not being able to be infected in TWD world :)

I personally don't think that being a human means that you are any better than a dog or cat. I would not kill another survivor just if they were a burden, and I would not kill any dogs or cats as I was raised to love them lol

• @RainbowSprinklz said: Damn, I was just about to mention the baby crying and dogs not being able to be infected in TWD world :)

I personally don't think that being a human means that you are any better than a dog or cat. I would not kill another survivor just if they were a burden, and I would not kill any dogs or cats as I was raised to love them lol

Glad someone else at least thought about such things.

When society is all but gone and civilisation is in ruins then we really would be no different to the animals, we're just trying to survive all the same. If possible farm and domestic animals would still be pretty valuable with correct protection and training. If we're able to rely on one another for survival then we could help one another out a lot, the animals would have their natural instincts, loyalty and better overall senses (and possibly immunity to the bites) while the human members of the group would be able to function remaining technology and fire arms for protection aswell as being able to fortify areas for safety.

• @bdawgnit1785 said: If you have kids killing and eating your family pet isn't good for your (or kids) mental health. I would do it if we were starved but then eating the fucking dog will only help for about a day with food then what??? kids next? I mean I know it's a dog and not a person but I AM A PERSON and eating your dog IS just as bad as eating some survivor thats a stranger. Tell the military you killed and ate your dog...they will proly put you down with the walkers cuz it's not ok....NOT! whatever I'm dumb and would proly die but at least I would still have my humanity....jesus.

This is my last post on these forums. what the fuck. Not having fun talking about killing my dog...gave me fucking nightmares. Hope you all enjoy the 5th episode and have a happy thanksgiving. Peace out;)

Ok wait, its the ZA right? So uh your worried about your kids mental health over killing the family dog to keep them alive? Not the walking dead people trying to eat them alive. I am sure at that point killing the family pet is going to effect them a whole lot less then grandma eatting their face because fido started barking at her.

• It's much easier to survive a Zombie Apocalipse if you live in apartments. Zombies can't use elevators and there would be no real motive for a horde to invade and use the stairs of your building unless they were chasing you. But if you stay inside your apartment they will never find you. You will just have to leave now and then to grab supplies.

• @bdawgnit1785 said: My point wasn't that killing the dog was bad but if you read the original poster it then goes on to say eating the meat. If my dog was a danger then some poison and a burial. My disgust wasn't that people would kill their dog but at the start of ZA if you still got gas/electricity and such and you decide to kill cook and eat your dog then you aren't human. I mean zombies eat people not food, go to a store before you resort to killing things in home for food.

This is my 2yr old labrador who is my 7yr olds first dog, we got him at 9 weeks old and his name Christian(but if you look at the pic you will see his true identity:p)[ATTACH]3514[/ATTACH]

Wasn't trying to be so harsh but turning cannibal to survive zombies is hardly surviving at all IMO

Sorry if I offended anyone but I took offense to people eating their pups;)

repost. not horrible to kill a animal that threatens your safety but EAT IT??? wtf people...wtf

• @bdawgnit1785 said: repost. not horrible to kill a animal that threatens your safety but EAT IT??? wtf people...wtf

If it was for my survival I would eat your puppy labrator. The flesh is probably soft and tender.

• @Masta23 said: Why should pets be treated any differently to humans? It's a bit disgraceful that anybody would think a dogs life isn't worth as much as a human being's.
    Tbh I am shocked that so many people would slaughter their own pet.

Dogs don't talk, they don't think, it's an animal -- not a person.

• I guess it depends on your prior relationship with animals, if you have pets, etc.

I didn't grow up with pets, nor do I have any, so I don't have much of an attachment to them. It would be a no-brainer for me.

It's much easier to survive a Zombie Apocalipse if you live in apartments. Zombies can't use elevators and there would be no real motive for a horde to invade and use the stairs of your building unless they were chasing you. But if you stay inside your apartment they will never find you. You will just have to leave now and then to grab supplies.

Slippery slope if they manage to get in. I live in a community, apartment-like setting and it would be near impossible to get out. Ugh... don't want to think about it.

• @Noble said: Dogs don't talk, they don't think, it's an animal -- not a person.

They do talk and they do think. Just not how you'd expect.
    They talk with their body language. Also, dogs can have fun, be bored, be sad, be happy, even love to some extent. Did you know that there is a variety of psychological issues a dog can have?

I'd keep my dog. She never barks anyway, but she's very vigilant - she could warn us of any impending dangers, using her far superior senses of hearing and smelling. Feeding her won't be much of a problem, as dogs could probably stomach a dead walker much better than a human could.

When you get yourself a pet, you agree to care for it as much as you possibly could. For me, that would also extend into a ZA scenario.

• @Noble said: Dogs don't talk, they don't think, it's an animal -- not a person.

They do think.

Add Comment