User Avatar Image

Illusion of choice- Summary

posted by kongdong on - last edited - Viewed by 884 users

While I enjoyed this series and became attached to it's characters, looking back I realize how little any choices you make matter. Here I will list the major situations and outcomes the episodes put you into. I would advise only reading if you have completed all five.

Episode 1

Day or Night - You get to Hershel's farm at night regardless.
Duck or Shawn - Duck lives, Shawn dies. You leave the farm and never return.
Doug or Carley - Survivor killed later, little different options offered.

Episode 2

Cut his leg off - Him and the black-haired boy die.
Food rations - Does not affect anything.
Kenny or Lilly Leading - Lilly leaves later.
Go to the dairy or stay - You go regardless.
Shoot woman - Danny shoots her if you don't.
Kill Larry - Only affects your standing with Kenny/Lilly.
Kill the St. Johns - Clementine will get over it.
Steal from the car - Stranger hates you anyway.

Episode 3

Shoot or Leave woman - the amount of supplies you get does not affect anything.
Reveal Past (Carley) - Group will later learn and forgive you.
Let Duck Help - He helps no matter what.
Ep. 1 Survivor's Death - Lilly will always kill them.
Leave Lilly or Take her - She will just escape if you bring her.
Fight or Talk down Kenny - Train stops no matter what.
Katjaa's Suicide - Nothing you can do to stop this.
Duck's Fate - Only affects Kenny standing.
Prepare Clem - Mandatory.
Omid or Christa - Both live either way.

Episode 4

Honesty or Threaten - Cancer survivors will help either way.
Leave Clem or Bring her - She will defend Molly in the school, but this is easily done by yourself.
Drop Ben or Pull Him Up - He dies later and affects nothing if he lives.
Lee gets Bitten - Nothing you can do to stop this.
Show bite or Hide it - They will find out eventually.
Pick your Group - Lee can do everything in this segment alone.
Cut arm off - Lee will die whether you amputate or not.

Episode 5

Kenny's Sacrifice - Kenny will die for Christa or Ben.
Crossing the Sign - Lee will jump down if he goes first or not.
Talk with Stranger - Nothing you say here influences anything.
Kill the Stranger - If you don't kill him, Clementine will.
Last Words - Does not affect anything this season.

Please do not take this as an attack to the episodes. I had a good time playing them, it just saddens me to realize nothing I did really mattered. And we need to keep insisting on more influence so the devs actually make the game better in the upcoming season. Impactful choices are the only thing this game is missing to make it the best game ever.

46 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Dunno if ya stole this from reddit or reddit-man stole this from 'ere, but either way...

Listen, let me tell y'all somethin'.

Tailored to your experience, right?

Tailored means making sleeve longer or somethin', right?

Not adding another frickin' sleeve!

• Guys, this discussion can go on forever. I agree that TT could have made branching paths, but they didn't -- they chose to focus on narrative and characterization, and it shows. I'd take a well-written story over a shoddier one with multiple paths any day of the week.

• Everyone always mentions the "tailored" stuff. Yes it's vague bet let's not forget the full marketing quote, quote:

@S said: Live with the profound and lasting consequences of the decisions that you make in each episode. Your actions and choices will affect how your story plays out across the entire series.

• Yes and yes. this has been discussed literally hundreds of times. Yes choices don't matter. Yes the game always ends up in the same spot. Yes the marketing was not truthful. No, we won't see the game branch out. It is a shame but that's the way it is and will be.

• I see nothing untruthful about that marketing copy. Helping Kenny crush Larry's head was pretty profound, and it affected how the story played out across the entire series.

Sometimes the things you do don't have a major impact on anything. Just like life.

• He's just pointing out the obvious. Your choices don't matter. You can use that "tailored experience" bit, but that doesn't falsify the fact your choices really don't mean anything. It's not an attack, it's the truth.

• @Doctanian said: Your choices don't matter. You can use that "tailored experience" bit, but that doesn't falsify the fact your choices really don't mean anything.

My choices mattered to me. Whether they shaped the game's overall narrative structure in any meaningful way never really mattered to me.

• @lucidity02 said: My choices mattered to me. Whether they shaped the game's overall narrative structure in any meaningful way never really mattered to me.

here you can have this cross word puzzle i filled in. only one letter is missing from every word, but at least you got to complete it, right?

• If you want your choices to actually matter than it will take them more than a couple months to do an episode. It would probably take them a couple years to do 5 episodes. I would like some choices to matter but I'm fine with how the game is.

• @mkane24 said: here you can have this cross word puzzle i filled in. only one letter is missing from every word, but at least you got to complete it, right?

This isn't a very good comparison. No offense.

Add Comment