User Avatar Image

Carley & Doug: Easy & Hard Mode

posted by HiggsBoson2142 on - last edited - Viewed by 767 users

I realized that the game is "better" in a sense when Carley is around, and that Episode 2 and 3 are easier because of her. My reasons?

Carley: Easy mode
-In Episode 2, you get attacked by an undead Travis/David. With Carley around, she will shoot the walker in the head
-In Episode 3, you get the chance to interact with Carley to the point where she can give you a kiss on the cheek, lifting your hopes and spirits.
-In the bandit raid in Episode 3, when the walkers begin to attack, Carley will assist you in taking them out.
-In Episode 3, she also gives you the chance to tell the others about your past, which makes them respect you more.

Doug: Hard mode
-In Episode 2, you get attacked by an undead Travis/David. With Doug around, he will attempt to hit the walker in the head with a plank of wood. It doesn't have much affect and you have to deal with it yourself until Larry/Mark takes it out.
-In Episode 3, you get the chance to interact with Doug. He will tell you that he feels completely useless, which in my case, made me kind of sad.
-In Episode 3, when the bandits raid, Doug will warn you about the incoming walkers, and not wanting to waste any bullets, stays in the RV. That leaves Lee to take them out.
-You saved Doug. He doesn't know about your past. Therefore everybody is taken by surprise when Lilly rats you out.

I feel like Telltale unintentionally made the game harder for those who picked Doug. Funny thing is, most people picked Carley.

83 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • That doesn't really make sense to me.

If anything, Carley's reaction was extremely practical. While Glenn's was fueled by basement nerd hormones.

• @DreadMagus said: That doesn't really make sense to me.

If anything, Carley's reaction was extremely practical. While Glenn's was fueled by basement nerd hormones.

Yeah, haha. Lee was really fast to jump on board too.

• See, Lee's the ultimate white knight though. He's badass like that. lol

• Carley doesn't have a scene where she shine's a laser pointer in a guys eye and have it be just as effective as shooting him with a gun :p

• You know, that's always kinda bugged me.

How the fuck did he pull that off?

If he's got that kind of aim and precision, they should have given that boy a firearm :p

Of course, I might be jealous because I can't aim a laser pointer for nothing. :p

• @DreadMagus said: You know, that's always kinda bugged me.

How the fuck did he pull that off?

If he's got that kind of aim and precision, they should have given that boy a firearm :p

Of course, I might be jealous because I can't aim a laser pointer for nothing. :p

He was probably fiddling with it before it got in Andy's eye.

• I would never save someone who wears socks with sandals. :p Besides, Carley had a gun, and she seemed like an alright character. We got to spent a lot of time with her. Because of that, I saved her rather than the guy standing on lookout who only gets interaction with you when you're searching for the pharmacy keys.

• I picked Carley because I liked her more. For some reason Doug just kinda annoyed me. He didn't seem to do anything, and was somewhat boring of a character. On my second play through where I chose Doug he was a lot cooler, but I still prefer Carley.

• To be honest, the thing that doomed Doug (for me) was the fact he seemed like a gimmick.

Sure he could do a few neat and obscure tricks - but I didn't get a "he'll have my back in a fight" vibe from him.

While that's not why I saved Carley, it is why I didn't even try to save Doug.

Originally I thought I could save both, but when I found out I couldn't, I didn't really regret it.

• @anonymau5 said: I picked Carley because I liked her more. For some reason Doug just kinda annoyed me. He didn't seem to do anything, and was somewhat boring of a character. On my second play through where I chose Doug he was a lot cooler, but I still prefer Carley.

Yeah, they should have brought Doug's character out a little more like they do in the next episodes as well as give him more screen time. It would give players a good incentive to save Doug over Carley in episode 1 because, as is, there really isn't many good reasons to save Doug in your first, main playthrough.

Add Comment