User Avatar Image

The Ending is Absurd, and Very Poorly Done

posted by JackSchirmer on - last edited - Viewed by 392 users

The ending to Episode 5 was a hopeless bungle.

Lee's great "sacrifice", chaining himself to the radiator, is a preposterous mistake completely at odd with The Walking Dead universe. Worse, it's no sacrifice at all. First, it's unimaginable that Clem, if she even survives the city (and recall that we forgot to, you know, actually tell her how to find Omid and Christa--oops!), won't be forever haunted by the image of zombie Lee chained to a radiator in a windowless room for all eternity. The big deal he makes, that she shouldn't shoot him, is horribly, horribly misguided. Putting down someone before they turn is extremely cathartic. It was a point of honor, pride, and closure for Carl to put down Lori in the tv series. They got it exactly right there. In the game it completely spoils the whole ending, since Clem doesn't get that closure.

Second, are you kidding me? We're left with no cutscene, no reunion with Omid and Christa where we see Clem finally escape? It's clear that TTG badly rushed the entire episode, from the incredibly brief playing time to the pointless recycling of locations, but this was the worst sort of failure--betraying a fundamental point of The Walking Dead universe. It played exactly as though the developer simply hit the wall of a deadline and had to quit without finishing.

Very, very disappointing.

51 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @JackSchirmer said: Er, not in the PC version you didn't. Sorry, I'm not taking the heat for TTG's inability to cross platforms.


    Lol what? Yeah you do. I play the PC version and got Clem to shoot me and saw the ending after the credits. I think you just missed it. ;)
    @JackSchirmer said: Repeating an extremely minor theme is not 'poetic'. Sorry.
    How the hell is Lee being a criminal a "minor theme."

  • Maybe he got hit with a unique bug?

    /reaching.....

  • @JackSchirmer said: Play more games, then. Play two.



    I prefer quality over quantity. ;)

    Seems these fine folks gave you some good suggestions about the game. Might want to take them up on it. :)

  • @Viser said: Haters gonna hate

    Aw, did I spoil your enjoyment of your widdow game for you?

    At least a few other posters had the intelligence to note actual objections to my initial criticism, which is more than reasonable.

    You on the other hand, strike me as someone who uses the word 'butthurt' a lot.

  • @JackSchirmer said: you don't leave your people as zombies.



    Yes. That's why most people chose to have Clem shoot Lee.

  • @CarScar said: Lol what? Yeah you do. I play the PC version and got Clem to shoot me and saw the ending after the credits. I think you just missed it. ;)

    How the hell is Lee being a criminal a "minor theme."



    Handcuffs. Handcuffs.

    Lee being a 'criminal' (he wasn't--as far as we knew) has nothing to do with the ending. Surely you understand that.

    In any case, if nothing else, his actions throughout were redemptory. For him to end in handcuffs is a fundamental betrayal of the compact between designer and player.

    Actually, it's a splendid metaphor for the game's abject failure to have anything you do actually matter. Lee starts and ends, handcuffed. Same as the players throughout. Brilliant, in a way.

  • @JackSchirmer said: Aw, did I spoil your enjoyment of your widdow game for you?

    At least a few other posters had the intelligence to note actual objections to my initial criticism, which is more than reasonable.

    You on the other hand, strike me as someone who uses the word 'butthurt' a lot.



    Yes, I cried in the corner of my room for a few minutes after reading that post of yours =(

    I didn't object to your criticism 'cause I've objected to that same crap over and over again on other threads, didn't see the need to that again on this one after many people had already done it. I'm pretty sure I've replied to some of your posts in the past, back on the days of Episode 3... can't be sure of that, though :p

    And that assumption couldn't be more wrong. I honestly can't recall ever using that word on an argument with anyone.

    And teasing trolls is quite funny, I must add :p

  • Hooboy. I'm 99% convinced you're some sort of advanced troll, but here we go:

    @JackSchirmer said: Lee's great "sacrifice", chaining himself to the radiator, is a preposterous mistake completely at odd with The Walking Dead universe. Worse, it's no sacrifice at all. First, it's unimaginable that Clem, if she even survives the city (and recall that we forgot to, you know, actually tell her how to find Omid and Christa--oops!), won't be forever haunted by the image of zombie Lee chained to a radiator in a windowless room for all eternity.

    You can choose not to have Clem handcuff Lee. I didn't.

    @JackSchirmer said: The big deal he makes, that she shouldn't shoot him, is horribly, horribly misguided. Putting down someone before they turn is extremely cathartic. It was a point of honor, pride, and closure for Carl to put down Lori in the tv series. They got it exactly right there. In the game it completely spoils the whole ending, since Clem doesn't get that closure.

    You can choose to have Clem shoot Lee. For the record, it didn't look like it'd been very cathartic for her at all.

    @JackSchirmer said: Second, are you kidding me? We're left with no cutscene, no reunion with Omid and Christa where we see Clem finally escape? It's clear that TTG badly rushed the entire episode, from the incredibly brief playing time to the pointless recycling of locations, but this was the worst sort of failure--betraying a fundamental point of The Walking Dead universe. It played exactly as though the developer simply hit the wall of a deadline and had to quit without finishing.

    Very, very disappointing.

    The entire Internet has pointed out to you that there is an ending cutscene with Clem in it.

    Man, you must have been fired up when you wrote this post, but you got a bunch of shit wrong there, dude.

  • @JackSchirmer said: Read for comprehension. I objected to the lack of closure, the inability of Lee to relay even basic survival information, and the inability to obey one of the fundamental emotional rules of The Walking Dead universe: you don't leave your people as zombies.

    But by all means, make stuff up when you can't follow the argument.



    Why did you have Clementine leave Lee if you would have preferred her to shoot him?
    Trust me, I had to re-read your OP twice to understand what you were mad at with the ending.

    You went on a rant about how the ending was absurd because clem didn't put Lee down. In my playthrough, she DID.

    Did you just miss the entire cutscene after the credits? or are trying to say it didn't give enough closure? It's a cliffhanger so...

    Your whole first post would make more sense if shooting Lee WASN'T an option. If you had told Clem to shoot you you would have gotten the ending you wanted.

    Also tell me what locations were recycled, and for what reason it was bad. I don't think you are trying to troll, but you're way too angry at the ending, for the wrong reasons.

  • @JackSchirmer said: Handcuffs. Handcuffs.

    Lee being a 'criminal' (he wasn't--as far as we knew) has nothing to do with the ending. Surely you understand that.



    In any case, if nothing else, his actions throughout were redemptory. For him to end in handcuffs is a fundamental betrayal of the compact between designer and player.

    Actually, it's a splendid metaphor for the game's abject failure to have anything you do actually matter. Lee starts and ends, handcuffed. Same as the players throughout. Brilliant, in a way.
    The big difference between the two scenarios is that Lee unwillingly got handcuffed at the beginning and at the end he willingly allowed himself to be handcuffed to protect someone he loves. It's poetry because the beginning and the ending rhyme.

    If you think it's so fucking terrible then don't let Lee get handcuffed, geeze. It is an option after all.

    I don't even know why I'm entertaining this obvious troll. No one is this dumb.

Add Comment