User Avatar Image

Carley & Doug: Easy & Hard Mode

posted by HiggsBoson2142 on - last edited - Viewed by 768 users

I realized that the game is "better" in a sense when Carley is around, and that Episode 2 and 3 are easier because of her. My reasons?

Carley: Easy mode
-In Episode 2, you get attacked by an undead Travis/David. With Carley around, she will shoot the walker in the head
-In Episode 3, you get the chance to interact with Carley to the point where she can give you a kiss on the cheek, lifting your hopes and spirits.
-In the bandit raid in Episode 3, when the walkers begin to attack, Carley will assist you in taking them out.
-In Episode 3, she also gives you the chance to tell the others about your past, which makes them respect you more.

Doug: Hard mode
-In Episode 2, you get attacked by an undead Travis/David. With Doug around, he will attempt to hit the walker in the head with a plank of wood. It doesn't have much affect and you have to deal with it yourself until Larry/Mark takes it out.
-In Episode 3, you get the chance to interact with Doug. He will tell you that he feels completely useless, which in my case, made me kind of sad.
-In Episode 3, when the bandits raid, Doug will warn you about the incoming walkers, and not wanting to waste any bullets, stays in the RV. That leaves Lee to take them out.
-You saved Doug. He doesn't know about your past. Therefore everybody is taken by surprise when Lilly rats you out.

I feel like Telltale unintentionally made the game harder for those who picked Doug. Funny thing is, most people picked Carley.

83 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @dustpuffs said: Well, I'm female, and I chose Doug.

Well you are in the extreme minority, just like me and anyone else who saved Doug. Like I said, its in the 20% range. I can't exactly remember if its 23% or 28% but whatever the number; it should be highlighted for social condemnation for the Western world.

• @NeonBlade said: Well you are in the extreme minority, just like me and anyone else who saved Doug. Like I said, its in the 20% range. I can't exactly remember if its 23% or 28% but whatever the number; it should be highlighted for social condemnation for the Western world.

Then I'm also in the 3% that fed Doug in Episode 2. I heard he usually refuses, but I gave him some jerky, and he took the jerky. So I was like, "Alright."

• @TheRickGrimes said: Who'd be more useful in a zombie apocalypse?

Carly: Female, able to use a gun and get nice headshots and has good points.

Doug: ..Nerdy technician guy.

Carley: Dumb bitch with a gun

Doug: Resourceful and not a dumb bitch.

• @Pickles312 said: F. ? Carley stands up for herself and another person by standing up to Lilly, something Doug could have never done.

Actually, Carley got heated and involved in an argument she had to know would end in Lilly becoming completely unscrewed. All she did with her "standing up" was get herself killed. Doug tried to calm the situation down and get Lilly to not kill anyone, and he died saving someone else. Also in the drugstore, Carley gets killed because she cant kill 1 zombie. Doug holds off an entire window of zombies using only his spine. Not to mention he saved Carley from a van surrounded by zombies. Doug died with 10 times more of a badass than Carley.

• @DreadMagus said: To be honest, the thing that doomed Doug (for me) was the fact he seemed like a gimmick.

Sure he could do a few neat and obscure tricks - but I didn't get a "he'll have my back in a fight" vibe from him.

While that's not why I saved Carley, it is why I didn't even try to save Doug.

Originally I thought I could save both, but when I found out I couldn't, I didn't really regret it.

In the long run he has knowledge very few people would have in the world, anyone can learn to fire a gun but not everyone would be able to hot wire a car, set up a power grid circuit board or create distractions using remotes. You could always teach Doug how to shoot.

Carly wasted 6 shots to kill 1 walker at some point, Larry did say at one point she had an itchy trigger finger which suggests that in the time he had spent with her in the group prior to Lee, Clem and Kenny's family appearing she'd somehow showed to him examples of her being bad with both conserving ammo or thinking about the problems using the gun would cause and just jumps into action without clear thinking.

Also in the scenario when you had to save her she had only 1 walker by her ankle she could have easily got off with a good hard kick yet Doug was struggling fighting off 3 and they both had equal chances of survival based on Lee's help? :L

Carly also couldn't figure out how batteries work...yeah...

• Anything Doug could supply could be pulled out of a book.

• @DreadMagus said: Anything Doug could supply could be pulled out of a book.

And where exactly would one get multiple books providing tech know-how during an Apocalypse?

And, I mean, look at him! He's like a rolly-polly! Who wouldn't pick the guy? :)

• Doug should've gotten a bit more screentime in Ep 1 if TellTale wanted the decision to be less onesided then it is now.

I mean that time where you leave the Pharmacy at the gates is pretty much the only time you talk to him, and it's hardly anything.

• I saved Carley because she had a gun and is damn good with it. The fact that she was female had nothing to do with it (I'm female). Though, after watching some LPs with Doug, I do kinda regret losing him.

• I'm pretty sure they killed Carley in episode 3 because they were tired of making two storylines where so many people were invested in only Carley and not Doug LOL. Poor Doug.

To be honest, I chose Carley because she had a gun. You'd figure tossing her her ammo could save her and she could shoot the two walkers attacking Doug.

Add Comment