User Avatar Image

The ZA and pets [warning]

posted by xwmstormx on - last edited - Viewed by 1.3K users

This topic could get very dark for some regarding our pets during an actual Zombie Apocalypse. I advise some not to read it.

The non dark part:
I wanted to start off with the fact that a huge majority of humanity has some kind of pet. Dog, Cat, hamster, fish. Whatever it may be. Now, I'm not going to focus on the lesser pets such as hamsters or fish or what can be considered the less noise producing pets.

Instead, this is going to focus on the louder pets such as dogs, cats.

From what is known, when it comes down to a ZA one of the survival aspects is to draw as little attention to yourself as possible. Which means you should not make noise as we all know that Zombies will follow a noise for miles out of instinct. (note the horde following the train in ep4)

With that in mind I have no doubt that a lot of the louder pets, mainly dogs and cats would attract a LOT of attention!

Cats:
While cats can run they can't defend themselves. They can try by hissing, or scratching or biting.. But that wouldn't deter a hungry Zombie so the cat just became dinner. In a family atmosphere they can be relatively quiet they still will be a drain on resources over time. Like many animals it doesn't take long for a house cat to become a feral cat when they are pushed into it. Some cats do like to meow or cry now and then so those types are dangerous to have around in the ZA.

Dogs:
These animals are the louder yet more protective of the two. Dogs in a protective mode against a human can overcome most and get away or hurt their attacker enough to deter them. Unfortunately a Zombie does not have the same fight or flight triggers as a normal human being. So while the dog may attack it will be putting itself in danger to being killed and eaten since the dog can't do enough damage to a Zombie to deter it from it's meal. In my opinion, dogs are the first species to be killed off.

So here we are in the Dark part:
You have a dog or a cat that make a lot of noise. It could easily encourage a Zombie horde to you and your family by barking or chasing after them and then running back to the home leading them to your family.

What is done with the pets we love? Do you kill them off in the beginning if they get loud or do you just let them bark and give away your position. Granted a lot of pets can be trained to not bark or make noise but a good portion of them are not so well trained.

I have to admit that I have a very loud dog. She just doesn't listen when she is told to be quiet. A person can walk down the street and she is barking at them. She barks at everything even if there is nothing to bark at. I have to admit here and now and say that my beloved pet would have to be killed in order to protect my family for either to prevent them from attracting Zombies to my home or to provide as an emergency food source for my family.

So there en-lies the question. What do you do with your loud pets? Do you kill them off, do you spare them, do you eat them, what do you do when your family is in danger due to the pet simply giving away your position?

103 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @ThePaSch said: They do talk and they do think. Just not how you'd expect.
    They talk with their body language. Also, dogs can have fun, be bored, be sad, be happy, even love to some extent. Did you know that there is a variety of psychological issues a dog can have?

I'd keep my dog. She never barks anyway, but she's very vigilant - she could warn us of any impending dangers, using her far superior senses of hearing and smelling. Feeding her won't be much of a problem, as dogs could probably stomach a dead walker much better than a human could.

When you get yourself a pet, you agree to care for it as much as you possibly could. For me, that would also extend into a ZA scenario.

Way I understand it the Zombie Virus is passed through body fluid transfer. When they bite you its the saliva and blood that gets in your wound that will kill you not so much the rotten teeth. Same if they scratch you or when you are fighting one getting a bunch of dead ozzing flesh in your mouth. So if you feed your pet the zombie meat they have a high chance of becoming zombie pets. Which can be cute until they eat you in your sleep or that 100 lbs dog you keep for protection tackles you and rips your throat out.

Best bet is to hide in a old folks home for a few days until the main body of the zombies have moved on. Then get out of the citys with as much food and water as you can. I say old folks home because they have a butt load of meds at most of them in case they get hurt or fall down. Food to last a good bit until the power goes out and maybe alittle longer. There is alot of rooms that can be shared, which also gives alot of dressers, tables, and other things to break up to block windows and doors. Other note is alot of the retired men are WW2 and vietnam vets and they will take a zombie in a heart beat. Real danger is those who are not doing well health and mentaly before all this happened. Oh and there is sure to be one person who keeps calling you their grandchild.

• @Kannibal said: If it was for my survival I would eat your puppy labrator. The flesh is probably soft and tender.

If it was for my family's survival (dog included) I'd shoot out both your knees and then feed you to my dog St. John style. You wanted to eat him....enjoy while I cook you up for his soft and tender ass.

BTW proly not but I'd fucking headshot you in a sec and claim walker by the door;) also you would be in a one person group considering your thoughts feeling so You would never get out of your neighbor hood anyhow.

Cannibals should become live bait. strung up around the city so they attract the zombies and other people/decent people can walk safely.

• I'd release my cat into the wild, where he's in his element. He can hide up trees from zombies and would probably find a cat-group.
    My dog is getting old anyway, so she probably wouldn't last long. I'd muzzle her to stop her barking, and try to keep her safe as long as possible.

• @bdawgnit1785 said: If it was for my family's survival (dog included) I'd shoot out both your knees and then feed you to my dog St. John style. You wanted to eat him....enjoy while I cook you up for his soft and tender ass.

BTW proly not but I'd fucking headshot you in a sec and claim walker by the door;) also you would be in a one person group considering your thoughts feeling so You would never get out of your neighbor hood anyhow.

Cannibals should become live bait. strung up around the city so they attract the zombies and other people/decent people can walk safely.

Human eating Dog =/= Cannibal. No matter your feelings the word 'Cannibal' has a very specific meaning.

• @Noble said: Dogs don't talk, they don't think, it's an animal -- not a person.

That is seriously the dumbest thing I have ever heard. You think only humans think and communicate? I am afraid to ask what school system produced you.

• @cormoran said: Human eating Dog =/= Cannibal. No matter your feelings the word 'Cannibal' has a very specific meaning.

Well if someone is willing to eat a dog at the start of the ZA where does it go from there. only so many dogs before you look elsewhere. I'm thinking these dog eaters are on a stepping stone to becoming cannibals. It starts somewhere and I think thats the jumping off point. Once you kill and eat something like that you would rationalize it and anything else you had to do to survive

My question is at what point should a person go I shouldn't do this, this is too far?

Seems like many on here would rather survive than actually live. I would rather live for a few months and be killed, the eating dogs and whatever else (see the would you kill a baby thread) is surviving but it is very far from living.
    YOU ARE THE WALKING DEAD!(not to the person i commented on but to whoever this goes to...you know who you are:() out

• Would I eat dog meat if it meant not starving to death? Probably. Would I kill my dog and eat its flesh, even if I were starving to death? No.

When I think about my actions I would take in a ZA (or anything that would bring civilization to its knees, really), I consider what my actions would do to my mental state. I'm not going to do something that would greatly upset me if at all possible, because then I'd be of little use until I get over it, or worse yet I could just go batshit crazy. In both of those scenarios I'm not very well going to be much help to anyone or myself, so why would I put myself in such a scenario?

If I were starving to death, but still had my dog (whom would obviously also be starving to death), I'd rather risk my life and go try to find food (even if it would be a poor decision) than eat my own dog, lest risking my mental health.

• @Maggard said: Humans developed penicillin, landed on the moon, invented every device you use through your day, and generally can eat any other creature on the planet.

When your box of puppies cures cancer, then your argument will be valid.

Until then, I'm not "pretty" sure I'm superior to animals, I know I am.

...man, when the ZA hits, there's going to be a LOT of hippie zombies...

Edit: Oh, and fact: if you were to die in a contained space, your cat would start eating you within twelve hours. Fact.

Beat the cat to the punch...

This response cracks me up. All those wasted words typed and you totally miss the point. You dont seem to understand that Technology and Progress are NOT the same thing and never have been.

Everything you mention is superficial, materialistic in nature, and honestly, quite ignorant.

Penicillin is a naturally occurring extract of bread mold which humans discovered totally by accident by Alexander Fleming, not "developed" as you so mistakenly put it.

Landing on the moon...BIG DEAL! Wow, we sure helped the universe out by landing on the moon. What good has it done to benefit the planet? The people? NONE. Only benefactors are big corporations hellbent on weapons production and profit margins. Do you think there might be a reason why they have never gone back?

Then Mr. genius calls on the "devices" we use everyday as if these cheap chinese slave goods are somehow a measure in the improvement of the human condition! Wowee! We cant balance budgets, can't live one day without constant warfare, have crooked politicians and banksters destroying the planet, have fukushima radiation spilling into the pacific, yet somehow in your world ,the fact that humans can produce cheap plastic goods filled with chinese electronics makes them superior to all other life on earth! Take a good look at hurricane sandy, those new yorkers were ready to kill each other over a gallon of gasoline.

And for the final insult, you point to the fact that humans can eat all other species as something to hang your hat on. Good job buddy, you can eat all other species and that makes you so special! OMG somebody get this kid some help. Take away the ammo and you are nothing but prey.

A superior species would see that all life is precious. A superior species would understand they exist as only a small part of a larger whole, living synergistically in unison with the resources given to us. A superior species would refuse to be defined by the things they produce but rather whether those devices positively affected the world they live in A superior species would understand that devices and cheap trinkets do not do anything but satiate the materialistic needs of the braindead masses who need these devices to maintain their fancy digital lifestyles inside the matrix.

If anything, your response proves your sector of the human species is dumbed down to the point of being zombies themselves. I can only assume you are a card carrying member. Were you one of the braindead sheeple on black friday? I suppose my video link pissed u off then.

And btw, if you didnt already know this, humans haven't found a cure for cancer either! But then again, dogs would never think of making medicine in the name of profit margins like big pharma.

Way to go dude, good luck with your materialistic existence. I hope your gadgets and devices keep you warm at night. You better hope the electricity stays on so you can keep your dreamworld alive.

Do you see all the hype regarding zombies these days? They are talking about you. YOU are the zombie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAeMeLhjswQ&list=UUzUV5283-l5c0oKRtyenj6Q&index=10&feature=plcp

BOX OF PUPPIES FTW!

• @Moonbaby: I'm not going to exactly say that I'm on either side right now, but both of your arguments are a tad flawed. Yes, some of the things mentioned by Maggard are a tad off for the sake of this discussion, but saying that all achievements humans have ever made doesn't at all show that humans are quite a superior being among those on this planet is a little ignorant.

We humans have our moral flaws (more than enough), but even though I love animals and would never hurt one I'm going to go ahead and say that I'm better than animals. They don't have superior morals, because hell, they don't have morals. Sure they can have emotion, but that is different.

A human life is of more value to me than an animal.

/rant

• @WD40 said: @Moonbaby: I'm not going to exactly say that I'm on either side right now, but both of your arguments are a tad flawed. Yes, some of the things mentioned by Maggard are a tad off for the sake of this discussion, but saying that all achievements humans have ever made doesn't at all show that humans are quite a superior being among those on this planet is a little ignorant.

We humans have our moral flaws (more than enough), but even though I love animals and would never hurt one I'm going to go ahead and say that I'm better than animals. They don't have superior morals, because hell, they don't have morals. Sure they can have emotion, but that is different.

A human life is of more value to me than an animal.

/rant

Yes but in the zombie apocalypse the things that made humans superior to animals for survivability like population, intellect and technology are turned on their head especially when humans are the ones causing the ZA. We are the only ones who can become infected and are all going to turn into them when we die yet no animals can and without our technology and with our death rate getting higher than the birth rate then all the traits that made us better for survival are gone and pretty soon we all just act like savages anyway.

In a zombie apocalypse we are the least likely to survive out of all the animals and so animals and humans are a lot more equal in the worth of their life especially when all humans are fated to become infected. Least that's how I see it. We become equally as valuable in a Zombie apocalypse.

Add Comment