User Avatar Image

[SPOILERS]The Walking Dead episode 5 and entire game REVIEW thread

posted by Vainamoinen on - last edited - Viewed by 11K users

Yup, this is it. Post your long and short, detailed or general, random or specific thoughts about the last episode and concluding thoughts about the Season right here.

No spoiler tags necessary, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU'VE PLAYED THE EPISODES!!!

(poll rates the whole game, not just episode 5)

278 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Jake said: Clementine uncertain and alone in a grassy field has been the main image for episode five from day one (its been sitting there in the main menu all this time!). Hopefully that alone shows that the epilogue has been planned from the start and wasnt tacked on later. What you think about it, whether you like it or not is a separate matter, of course!

We got you walking dead fans! For season 2 our next trick will be to make sure none of our episodes corrupt your data!

• I think this game is a dam masterpiece. I've never talked about a game and felt so much for characters emotionally in any game I played, I onestly felt like I was Lee and the endining was just heart renching not to sound like a sissy but dam near teared up saying goodbye to clem and trying to make her safe yet stronger, and that final credits ending i was litterarly shoutign at the screen GET TO THE TRAIN OMID AND CHRISTA ARE WAITING FOR YOU! its unbeleivable how protective I got to clem lol, and that ending of those maybe walkers maybe omid and crista....(please be them lol), so now I will forever support telltale games just becuase of this awesome series you've created, I'm now a groupie whore that is addicted to walking dead, I will be jonesing soon for the next series, ....please for the love of god make series 2 pronto please! you deserve time off but....its so dam good lol

• also can people PLEASE Vote this game of the year in the followin link below, I already have and it needs to be recognised.

http://www.spike.com/events/video-game-awards-2012-nominees/voting/

• @Jake said: Clementine uncertain and alone in a grassy field has been the main image for episode five from day one (its been sitting there in the main menu all this time!). Hopefully that alone shows that the epilogue has been planned from the start and wasnt tacked on later. What you think about it, whether you like it or not is a separate matter, of course!

Was that your idea to have that image in the main menu? Very clever! :D

• 100 out of 10 for me ;). I love this game. I dont want to be here for an hour reviewing it so I'll just say this. This game is one of the best games I've ever played.

• After Episode 4 I would have rated this game almost perfect.

After finishing the final episode I give it a 7. The last one was just flat out lazy.

1: Killing the protagonist and leaving the player/viewer with an unhappy ending is no longer unique. It's been done countless times in both the gaming and movie industry.

2: Way too short. After all the build up, all the questions that need to be answered, they make a final episode that's not even half as long as most of the other episodes. It looks like they just rushed this out as fast as they could to get it over with.

3: Lame final conflicts. You finally find the guy who's been watching Clem. The guy who's been mysteriously contacting you for the past few episodes. He's able to take Clem away from the group without anyone noticing....but doesn't lock the door on Clem in the hotel and his plot is foiled by a 9 year old with a wine bottle....Plus instead of tense moments as you stand-off with this guy, you have a nice sit down discussion with him about things that happened in previous episodes.

Then the radiator scene...I'm fine with an ending that doesn't have everyone riding off into the sunset, but you can't do it in such an anti-climactic way. The hero of the game is first saved by a 9 year old twice, only to die next to a radiator a few minutes later. People will justify it in any number of "artistic" ways. He starts the game in handcuffs, and ends in handcuffs...so what. This is a game, not an indie film.

4: Lack of actual choices that affect the story. This is more of a whole series problem instead of just the last Episode, although it is most evident in the last one. None of your choices and decisions actually have much of an effect on the story.
    Sure can save one person instead of the other, but no matter which one you pick they will play the same role in the game and either one will die at roughly the same time in the game. Saving Doug instead of Carly has no effect on the major storyline. You're still going to go to the same locations, and the same dangerous situations will happen.

NO MULTIPLE ENDINGS. For a game that has a message before every episode claiming that your choices affect the story, it's pretty ridiculous that they can't even include multiple endings. Getting shot in the head while handcuffed to the radiator, or just being left alone handcuffed to the radiator are not multiple endings. They're the same thing.

Telltale had a storyline planned for this game, but following the great success of the game they phoned this one in. The entire ending seems to be created entirely for the sequel. The basically put what should be the beginning of a game, at the end of this one....and yes, I did see the scene after the credits, it was even more proof of the Sequels ruining the first series.

I actually lost my saved game after reformatting, so instead of just installing episode 5 and going, I played through every episode in 2 days. Even though I knew the story of the first 4, they were still a ton of fun...more fun than the first play-through of the last one. I think that says something about how terrible the last episode was.

Episode 1: 9
    Episode 2: 9.5
    Episode 3: 8
    Episode 4: 7
    Episode 5: 4.5

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

I have my fair share of quarrels going on with this game, and you name quite a few valid ones concerning the story. But the lack of multiple endings wasn't one of mine. I welcomed the ending as the only possible one. The single ending speaks clearly about the topic of hope - different endings might have treated it differently, fitting the genre and franchise less.

@Sabiancym said: Then the radiator scene...I'm fine with an ending that doesn't have everyone riding off into the sunset, but you can't do it in such an anti-climactic way. The hero of the game is first saved by a 9 year old twice, only to die next to a radiator a few minutes later. People will justify it in any number of "artistic" ways. He starts the game in handcuffs, and ends in handcuffs...so what. This is a game, not an indie film.

I'm not sure where the comparison leads here. The artistic and rock solid storytelling principles - including a circular narrative structure - have been part of Telltale's games for quite some time. You can criticize the execution here, but not the application in general. TWD game is pretty much a movie; a bit of artistic sophistication in the genre is the absolute minimum. You will not only find this in "indie" films - the most prized of Hollywood's flicks have always been heavy with this kind of stuff.

• I give it a 7. The game was indeed enjoyable with some surprising and memorable moments, however, right from the release of the 2nd episode (steam user) I have had technical issues with choices not carrying over properly from one episode to the next. Each episode I played seemed to want to generate random choices for me even though there was no option for this when i started the episode, it just began.

When i thought i finally had the issue fixed, all of my save files no longer appear in the screen and now the system wants me to start the whole game over complete from scratch even though i have several save files in my documents folder as well as the pref.prop file. This has been my most dissapointing moment of this series. It's just too damn buggy.

2ndly, choice does infact NOT matter. Nothing u do will affect the outcome which was my understanding with "Choice Matters". The only thing choice did was influence Clementine, mold or shape her. But then you don't get to see how these choices are carried forward for clementine.

So, in the end the game was enjoyable, however several aspects of the story just don't add up, such as clementine dragging a 180 pound adult through a horde of walkers to saftey. 1 of many things i found that just don't make sense.

• @Vainamoinen said:

I'm not sure where the comparison leads here. The artistic and rock solid storytelling principles - including a circular narrative structure - have been part of Telltale's games for quite some time. You can criticize the execution here, but not the application in general. TWD game is pretty much a movie; a bit of artistic sophistication in the genre is the absolute minimum. You will not only find this in "indie" films - the most prized of Hollywood's flicks have always been heavy with this kind of stuff.

It doesn't matter what criticism is given. The fanboys of the game will just yell "Artistic" and "OMG it's the Zombie Apocalypse, things don't always happen like they should".

Would these same people be fine if lee fell off a building to his death before even finding Clem? No, they wouldn't. So stop justifying this lazy ending by saying that it's what could really happen in a Zombie outbreak. Dying at the end isn't the problem, doing it in the most anticlimactic way possible is. They could have had him sacrifice himself to a herd of Zombies in order to distract them away from Clem as she ran. Not only would that be a bit more exciting, but it would be even more emotional for Clem. She wouldn't get to say goodbye and would have to watch Lee get ripped apart.

...and no Hollywood film would ever accept this kind of ending. Show me a movie where the final confrontation is significantly easier and less involved than the conflicts earlier in the movie. Did Luke Skywalker board the Death Star for the second time and slice Darth Vaders head off while he's taking a shower? No, he didn't. The build up to the final meeting between them two led to an actual epic moment, not an extremely short sequence where an Ewok hits Vader in the head with a wine bottle....

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Sabiancym said: So stop justifying this lazy ending by saying that it's what could really happen in a Zombie outbreak.

Didn't.

@Sabiancym said: The fanboys of the game will just yell "Artistic" and "OMG it's the Zombie Apocalypse, things don't always happen like they should".

Artistic approaches can be attacked and defended. They can be poorly executed or pretentious. You can argue that. In no way was 'artistic' ever meant as a killer argument. Also, define "should".

@Sabiancym said: ...and no Hollywood film would ever accept this kind of ending. Show me a movie where the final confrontation is significantly easier and less involved than the conflicts earlier in the movie. Did Luke Skywalker board the Death Star for the second time and slice Darth Vaders head off while he's taking a shower? No, he didn't. The build up to the final meeting between them two led to an actual epic moment, not an extremely short sequence where an Ewok hits Vader in the head with a wine bottle....

I did not interpret the Stranger as "the boss battle". And I would have been disappointed if they just set this up as a 'video game' ending this way. The narrative meaning of the stranger was to make clear to Lee that whatever decisions he made, he always hurt someone with it. Now I don't believe that this was particularly necessary at this point of the game, nor all too well executed. But just more lame QTEs for the boss fight(s) just to reach another level of 'epic' really wouldn't have cut it ('press Q so Clementine can escape' - thank yooo, pas de interest). The climax was supposed to be the very quiet moments with the Stranger and Lee's death, not the power of a poor deluded man who was robbed of his entire family. Lee has taken plenty of brave steps towards saving Clementine, but he was also violently ill and weakened at the end. You wanted him to die standing; but if the designers wanted to focus on his lingering infection and his battle against it, that's not what they'd do.

Luke Skywalker did not "board" the Death Star. He was taken there. He never fought the emperor. There was indeed a fight between him and his father, even an epic one. But his arch enemy was more or less just kicked down a shaft, and certainly not by Luke himself! But you're right to assume that Episode VI was indeed about the final confrontation between Vader and Luke, while TWD Season 1 clearly was not about Lee vs. the Stranger.

If you're looking for movies with toned down or "easier" conflicts in the ending, you may look towards a whole lot of coming of age movies, where the abilities and self confidence of the protagonist have risen through experience to such a degree that the central conflict, the one that defined her/him in the beginning, can actually be solved with a snap, maybe a sharp word towards a former figure of authority; and you can look towards a whole lot of other movies where the final conflict, the one everyone fears, turns out to more or less solve itself ("Little Miss Sunshine" among them; which is especially interesting in light of your Star Wars comparison because the script writer of that movie will also do Episode VII).

Add Comment