User Avatar Image

Ben didnt really prove himself in the end.

posted by DarcKage on - last edited - Viewed by 492 users

Which is a damn shame.

Yeah, he finally stood up to Kenny and told him what's up, which was good. But he was still a liability in the end. I really feel sorry for the poor kid, he couldnt do anything right and died a horrible death.

- got several people killed.
- Got bitched at all the time and treated like a kid.
- Never got to see his family.
- Had to live for a while with the guilt of indirectly killing Katjaa/Duck.
- Died in an alleyway surrounded by walkers with no one but the guy who hated his guts all this time by his side.
- Probably never got laid.

Such a sad story. :(

73 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @cormoran said: That's fine, I can assume you have nothing valid to respond with. The analogy is valid no matter how much it offends you, you're blaming the victims instead of those who actually commited those acts, it's sickening.

You may have volunteered at womens shelters, good for you...

I lived in one.

I would've went back and forth with you until you accused me of condoning rape. Like I said, it's a game, completely different tone than real life. People wished Kenny would die, does that mean they support murder and death in real life? No. People killed characters in the game, does that mean they will kill in real life? No. So me connecting other characters' deaths to Ben means absolutely nothing when it comes to my stance on real life issues.

That's unfortunate.

• @Doctanian said: Pre-Episode 5 Ben supporters "Ben's gonna redeem himself, all you Ben haters will see."

Instead, ben falls to his death, which causes Kenny to get killed. And thus saving absouley no one. And in my playthrough, he lost the boat to Vernon. So he was a useless character from the start, his antics in Episode 3 moved the plot along, but not in a good direction.

Post-Episode 5 Ben supporters "It's not about redemption, he apologized and was forgiven by Kenny, that's enough."

Sure, whatever.

Hahaha EXACTLY! Thank you for pointing out that psychology. I find it hard to believe that all these holier than thou "look I saved Ben" people didn't MOSTLY do it because they thought he would redeem himself in some grand way. When that didn't happen (which, good on TTG - would've been very out of character), they changed their spiel.

• @aperose said: Hahaha EXACTLY! Thank you for pointing out that psychology. I find it hard to believe that all these holier than thou "look I saved Ben" people didn't MOSTLY do it because they thought he would redeem himself in some grand way. When that didn't happen (which, good on TTG - would've been very out of character), they changed their spiel.

I saved him cause most of us would have probably done similar things in the same scenario

• @Doctanian said: I would've went back and forth with you until you accused me of condoning rape. Like I said, it's a game, completely different tone than real life. People wished Kenny would die, does that mean they support murder and death in real life? No. People killed characters in the game, does that mean they will kill in real life? No. So me connecting other characters' deaths to Ben means absolutely nothing when it comes to my stance on real life issues.

That's unfortunate.

No you wouldn't have, you simply have nothing to respond with, you know your stance on the matter of Ben is asinine at best and so you attempt to avoid the entire issue by getting all hot under the collar like it means something.

You blame the victims in this game, you blame the victims in real life. Don't give me that "it's different" crap, it shows the type of person you are. I don't see you blaming the bandits for attacking or coercing Ben to cooperate, I don't see you blaming Lilly for shooting Carly/Doug, no, you blame Ben.

I know why too, you're too much of a coward to blame those you can't see brought to justice, but Ben, he's still around, you can punish him. You don't care if you blame the right people or not.

• Umm... its ben fault kenny died because ben fell and kenny went tosave him...

• @aaron1290 said: Umm... its ben fault kenny died because ben fell and kenny went tosave him...

You say that like ben wanted to fall

• I never expect Ben to redeem himself. I wanted him to survive. From the bell tower onwards, I was sure he wouldn't. Determinants character don't go far.

• @zeke10 said: You say that like ben wanted to fall

maybe if ben hurried up and didnt stand there for ages it would of stayed

• @Viser said: Okay, I shall try.
    [LIST=1]
    [*]If Ben never traded with the bandits, they would've probably killed him and attacked the group a lot earlier, and who knows, perhaps with even more people, which would most likely end in the deaths of everyone. And keep in mind that the bandits only attacked when they did because Lee removed the supplies from the place they were supposed to pick it up, and he only did that because Lilly was paranoid and found out someone was stealing supplies from them, and she only went paranoid because Kenny crushed her dad's head in front of her.

[*]If Ben had just confessed to the secret trading, Lilly would have shot him in his face or kicked him out of the group because she was pretty unstable. And I'm pretty sure Carley and Doug would have stood up for Ben anyways, because like Doug said: "Evidence or not, this isn't right!". Who knows what an unstable woman would have done then when people disagreed with her?

[*]If Ben had saved Clementine, Chuck would've never had to intervene and get cut off by the group only to die later in the sewers. That's mostly true. But that also falls on Lee, why wasn't he there protecting her? Why wasn't she close to him? There are a lot of questions you gotta ask yourself.

[*]If Ben didn't take the axe from the doors in Crawford, Brie would still be alive. That's kind of true, that was a pretty stupid move on Ben's part. But as much as Ben's confession had a horrible timing, the timing on Kenny's vote to kick him out was just as horrible, which kept everyone in the room for more time than they should've stayed there, and ended up in Brie's death.

[*]If Ben had just told Kenny to shoot him or give him the gun in the alley, Kenny wouldn't have sacrificed himself. Okay, it was Kenny's decision to stay back (keep in mind his weight also broke the balcony), I really can't understand why people blame Ben here. It's not his fault he fell. He was probably scared as fuck, the way he says "OH GOD, DON'T LET THEM GET TO ME" shows how he didn't want to die there.
    [/LIST]

Seriously, blaming everything on only one character is even more annoying than 'people defending him'. He is indeed linked to many character's deaths, but so are a lot of other people, including Lee. The main reason most people started hating him is because of Carley and Doug, who stood up for him, by the way.

1. So he couldn't have told the others about the plan and possibly avoid the entire mess? The reason they attacked was because Lee took the supplies from the agreed trading location. By not telling the others of the plan he unknowingly helped cause the attack. It's possible that the others would have agreed with Ben in the first place and avoided that attack, or at the very least get the others to be more prepared.

2. Which all could have been avoided had he informed the group about his earlier plan instead of keeping it a secret. No need for anyone to stand up to him and get shot by an unnerved women.

3. It doesn't fall on Lee since he was busy fighting zombies to notice that she was behind. Ben was right next her, and could have saved her. There is no excuse for Ben's action.

4. It does not matter what Kenny did because it is also a result of Ben's failure to mention the fact that he helped out the bandits and indirectly causing them to surprise attack the group which led to the death of Kenny''s family. Also had Ben not removed the ax in the first place none of that would have happened.

5. Agree that it was Kenny's decision. You can't really blame Ben for this one.

Add Comment