User Avatar Image

**** committing suicide minutes after explicitly speaking out against it

posted by Chrizza on - last edited - Viewed by 305 users

Kenny commits suicide minutes after explicitly speaking out against it, when you're with Ben, at least. There was nothing heroic about it, if he did it for the right reasons he just could've put a bullet in Ben's head and left.

Now he just gave up.

31 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Chrizza said: When you're with Ben, at least. There was nothing heroic about it, if he did it for the right reasons he just could've put a bullet in Ben's head and left.

Now he just gave up.

I didn't see it that way. Immediately before the Ben stuff went down, Kenny went on a long tirade to the group about how people need to step up and how he didn't do enough to save Katjaa. It wasn't as much about suicide as it was about him redeeming himself in his own eyes.

• @lucidity02 said: I didn't see it that way. Immediately before the Ben stuff went down, Kenny went on a long tirade to the group about how people need to step up and how he didn't do enough to save Katjaa. It wasn't as much about suicide as it was about him redeeming himself in his own eyes.

How did he redeem himself? What's the point in getting eaten by walkers without accomplishing anything?

• @Chrizza said: How did he redeem himself? What's the point in getting eaten by walkers without accomplishing anything?

He tried to save Ben. You see him try to fight off the walkers using the butt of the gun, and he even kills one or two. He just realized then that it was hopeless, so he elected to end Ben's suffering with his last bullet. If you tell him Kat wouldn't want this, he even says "Either I save the kid, or I get to see Kat again", which implys that he DID want to save Ben, but he was just prepared to fail.

• @Chrizza said: How did he redeem himself? What's the point in getting eaten by walkers without accomplishing anything?

I'm not Kenny, as he's not real, so all of this is speculative. But what I got out of it was that him fighting back against the walkers for his group (flashback to episode one, where he left Shawn to die under the tractor while Kenny just ran -- he's historically been a pretty selfish guy throughout) was a form of symbolic redemption in his OWN eyes. He may not have accomplished anything concrete, but to him -- the character -- it meant something. IMO.

• Hmm, there is a difference between committing suicide and sacrificing yourself to aid others. I feel like Kenny's death leaned more towards the latter even though as you mentioned, he could have just shot Ben in the head and went with Lee.

Seeing as he ended up shooting Ben anyways his sacrifice didn't count for much in the end. Unless you want to take the stance that because of what Kenny did, Ben didn't die alone.

He certainly could have been more useful if he'd stayed with Lee and tried to help find Clementine.

Then again we are talking about Kenny, who was really more of a burden than he was a helpful contributor throughout the series. Maybe it was more useful that he sacrificed himself when he did.

Why couldn't you just slide 6 inches to the left and let me grab that map KENNY!!

/conflicted

• He didn't commit suicide..

Kenny felt too much guilt for treating Ben like shit, despite his reasons. He realized that Ben was just a scared kid in the zombie apocalypse, kind of like his son and he wanted to protect him.

This time, he didn't abandon Ben. He stayed with him in his final moments, who knows what he said to Ben before taking the shot. And he didn't do it until Ben begged him, "Kenny Please!"

• @Rock114 said: He tried to save Ben. You see him try to fight off the walkers using the butt of the gun, and he even kills one or two. He just realized then that it was hopeless, so he elected to end Ben's suffering with his last bullet. If you tell him Kat wouldn't want this, he even says "Either I save the kid, or I get to see Kat again", which implys that he DID want to save Ben, but he was just prepared to fail.

The guy was impaled, Kenny should know better than to try and save him. Putting him out of his misery is the only option from the second you see in what condition he is.

Having that said, the scene would've worked for me if Ben was trapped somewhere without being hurt and with walkers closing in on him.

• @Chrizza said: The guy was impaled, Kenny should know better than to try and save him. Putting him out of his misery is the only option from the second you see in what condition he is.

That scene was more about what makes sense to Kenny rather than what makes sense to us. Kenny had realized how selfish he acted throughout the ZA, and did what he thought he had to do to redeem his integrity. Sure, from our point of view he could have ended Ben's misery right away and left with Lee. But from his point of view, trying to save Ben regardless of how little sense it made was the only right thing he could have done.

• @raptor said: That scene was more about what makes sense to Kenny rather than what makes sense to us. Kenny had realized how selfish he acted throughout the ZA, and did what he thought he had to do to redeem his integrity. Sure, from our point of view he could have ended Ben's misery right away and left with Lee. But from his point of view, trying to save Ben regardless of how little sense it made was the only right thing he could have done.

Yeah, I guess that's it.

Still a shame, he deserved a better ending. I'm also not a fan of his death without Ben around, but at least that one makes sense.

• If you listen to his speech, he was against dieing without fighting. In the end, he died fight, although it might have been a unwinnable fight, he still did so. I get the feeling that he did want to die, but he couldn't just shoot himself in the head.

Add Comment