User Avatar Image

Ben didnt really prove himself in the end.

posted by DarcKage on - last edited - Viewed by 545 users

Which is a damn shame.

Yeah, he finally stood up to Kenny and told him what's up, which was good. But he was still a liability in the end. I really feel sorry for the poor kid, he couldnt do anything right and died a horrible death.

- got several people killed.
- Got bitched at all the time and treated like a kid.
- Never got to see his family.
- Had to live for a while with the guilt of indirectly killing Katjaa/Duck.
- Died in an alleyway surrounded by walkers with no one but the guy who hated his guts all this time by his side.
- Probably never got laid.

Such a sad story. :(

73 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • How are you a victim? Anyway Ben is a teenager, a particular insecure person in a particularly insecure period of life. And this is without zombies and psycho bitches with guns. Except for Lee and Doug/Carley, nobody supported him. You are right, he screws up way too much, but making him a flawed character in contrast with other people makes him believable.
    Btw, the hatchet and confessing to Kenny at the worst moment possible was stupid even for him

• @cormoran said: That's fine, I can assume you have nothing valid to respond with. The analogy is valid no matter how much it offends you, you're blaming the victims instead of those who actually commited those acts, it's sickening.

You may have volunteered at womens shelters, good for you...

I lived in one.

I agreed with your points originally, you can spend all day pointing out characters who could have indirectly killed someone. I do think that if a walker kills you, even if someone else causes it, its a walker that kills you. But seriously....your comment that you made about him was so out of line. You don't know that, and the analogy is ridiculous. Remember it is just a game that we all are talking about, and there is no reason to be mean to someone else over it.

• @cormoran said: People like you blame a woman for being raped, instead of the rapist who raped her. Zombies killed Duck, Katjaa killed herself, Lilly/Zombies killed Doug/Carly, Zombies killed Chuck, Zombies killed Brie, Zombies killed Kenny. End of story.

Whoa. Shit. I didn't see this part. You need to chill the hell out with the ad hominem attacks about someone's character.

• Not all of us that saved Ben were holier than thou types that said he would redeem himself. I said before episode 5 that I had saved Ben in Crawford, and I wondered what horrible death awaited him in 5. I never thought he would redeem himself, but I didn't think he wasn't worth saving. It isn't as though he ran around slitting people's throats in their sleep or something.
    He is a kid. His brain isn't even fully formed. He has lived through his worst nightmare for months prior to when we meet him. He has seen friends and mentors die, has not had contact with his family, has most likely been running and hiding with very little food and sleep, all of which affect his judgement. He did not see the consequences of his actions the way others would. Neither, for example, does the teenage boy trying to "surf" on top of a buddy's car; he thinks it will be a blast, the neighbors think the idiot will end up roadkill.
    It does not mean that he couldn't learn from his mistakes, and if given the chance, grow up to be a useful member of any group. So I didn't take that chance away from him.

• Well, Ben did at least do SOMETHING. He DID prove he wasn't a coward by standing up to Kenny. Kenny, the man who's family died because of him, the man who on several occasions wanted Ben to die and probably would have dropped Ben without a moment's hesitation if he were in Lee's place at Crawford. He made Kenny see Ben's side of things and finally realize how terrible he'd been acting toward Ben. And in the end, Kenny actually forgave the kid who was responsible for his family's death. He even elected to try and save the kid even when it seemed impossible, and knew it would very well likely result in his death as well.

And, if you notice, during the mansion siege Ben actually sounds confident. He's probably afraid, yeah, but he has control of it. He doesn't let the fear dictate his actions because he knows that everyone else is counting on him to step up and help get everyone out of the mess they were in. He actually keeps a cool head, kills walkers (possibly his first) and even saves Lee's gun after it fell. I think that he redeemed himself by actually being a productive member of the group, not panicking, and pulling his weight. Hell, he doesn't even seem to be begging for Kenny and Lee to save him in the alley, he just doesn't want to get ripped apart. Sure he didn't save everyone's lives, or kill a million walkers, but him turning his act around and gaining his confidence was enough for someone like Ben.

• @Kaserkin said: How are you a victim? Anyway Ben is a teenager, a particular insecure person in a particularly insecure period of life. And this is without zombies and psycho bitches with guns. Except for Lee and Doug/Carley, nobody supported him. You are right, he screws up way too much, but making him a flawed character in contrast with other people makes him believable.
    Btw, the hatchet and confessing to Kenny at the worst moment possible was stupid even for him

Oh no, no, don't get me wrong, Ben is a very believable character. But that doesn't mean I have to like him and sympathize with him, lol. I think Ben's one of those love or hate characters. Kinda like Lilly, who I love but people hate.

• @RainbowSprinklz said: I agreed with your points originally, you can spend all day pointing out characters who could have indirectly killed someone. I do think that if a walker kills you, even if someone else causes it, its a walker that kills you. But seriously....your comment that you made about him was so out of line. You don't know that, and the analogy is ridiculous. Remember it is just a game that we all are talking about, and there is no reason to be mean to someone else over it.

Thanks mate. I'm just here for a debate, I didn't want it to get so serious.

• I feel bad for Ben. Everyone in the group thought he was a joke and the few people who actually cared for him he either got them killed (Carley/Doug, Katjaa) or were children (Clementine). The bell scene actually kind of implies that he either thinks people hate him so much that they want him dead or he wishes for himself to die because he doesn't want to get anyone else killed. It's really sad, I feel for the kid, I'd probably act similar to him in a zombie apocalypse situation. That's why I saved him.

Still he should have confessed to what he did. He was lying to his friends, yes he had friends at that point. Carley liked him, probably felt bad for him, I'm guessing Doug would feel the same way. Katjaa was probably motherly towards him and I have a sneaking suspicion that Clem had a tiny crush on him. I get it, he was scared of Lilly but as Carley said:

"I think people should know... Some people might be pissed but it'll be a farcry if they don't hear it from you... There will never be a good time, but there will also be a lot of bad ones. And this doesn't seem like one of them."

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

Hey guys - please keep this discussion relevant to the game, not personal comments on what other forum members may or may not be like in real life.

• Wouldn't Ben becoming the hero and redeeming himself by saving some one's life or even sacrificing his life so another could live be too much of a "saving Ben is the good/right choice and/or path"? I don't think that's what the walking dead is about.
    I saved Ben because I didn't want him to die(I did tell him to stay behind later) not because I hoped that the game would reward me later(which it shouldn't) or that I was taking the "paragon" path.

Add Comment