User Avatar Image

Anyone else feel like the writer for Episode 5 ignored everything set up in Ep 4?

posted by viruscarrier on - last edited - Viewed by 855 users

Having digested the ending for a few days, I'm starting to realize a few issues I've had with the ending, and a good number of them seem to likely stem from the fact that episodes 4 and 5 have different writers.

1. Ben's treatment
For those who saved Ben in Episode 4, I feel like the writer for Episode 5 completely missed what the one for Episode 4 had been building up for the character. After his series of ****-ups I expected there to be some redeeming moment (or hell, even just an attempt at one). Instead, all we got was Ben falling to his death and providing no closure for his character arc.

2. Kenny's treatment
Related to the above. This probably doesn't come into play with the Christa version, but it makes absolutely no sense from what we've learned about Kenny in the previous episodes for him to just randomly flip on his opinion of Ben so much that he would just sacrifice himself for absolutely no reason. Honestly, he could have just shot Ben much sooner and escaped just fine, but I guess the writer felt that an uncharacteristic suicide was in order.

3. Omid and Chrsta's fate.
This was also pretty bad. No matter what you tell the two of them, the simply disappear without an explanation. Clem doesn't find them and they certainly don't find you before you turn. What the hell was the point of the option then telling them what they should do? Was it really that hard for Telltale to make just 3 scenes depending on what you tell them to do that shows their fate? Hell, for instance, if you tell them to find the boat it could cut to a scene where they get attacked and killed by a horde near the harbor. If you tell them to wait for Clem it could show them meet up, or fail to meet up even. To simply have them disappear forever without any explanation is poor closure and poor writing.

4. Clem's Parents.
This was by far the worst handled segment of the entire series. For all the build-up towards finding her parents, all we got out of it was a 10 second segment where Lee falls unconscious and Clem almost freaks out. For something they've been building up since Episode 1, the essential hand wave of "hey here they are" and instant removal was simply insulting. I honestly can't believe they thought this part was going to be well received. Another chance at actually solidifying a character arc that they simple dropped the ball on.

Not to mention the fact that it is simply illogical that Clem would see her parents right next to each other. I mean really, what kind of mega coincidence is that?

Well, those are my main gripes with Episode 5. On a positive note, I found the Lee and Clem final scene to be rather well done, as I did the arm removal scene. The Part where Christa just starts cutting before I could even finish my response was both an oh **** moment and one that made me laugh.

50 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @lucidity02 said: I'm not offended, per se. Just annoyed. I've been seeing a lot of these "the Telltale fanboys will" posts lately, and I personally think it's an unfair characterization.

You're obviously right that it happens on both sides, though, but I tend to detect more of an undercurrent of nastiness with those who are critical of the game. Maybe it's just my interpretation of their posts, maybe not.

It's perfectly justified. Pick any thread that doesn't just say "OMG BEST GAME EVA!!" and has real criticism of the game. Instead of a discussion about concerns brought up, you'll find people blindly defending the game. Instead of talking about possible issues, they'll claim that the people who are doing the criticism just don't know what they're talking about.

In this thread alone there are multiple examples of this. I said that I disappointed that the choices in this game don't change the story at all. A few posts later someone replies and says that my definition of "choice" is wrong.....

Why do they care so much that everyone like the game? Posting criticisms of certain parts of a game makes the industry as a whole better. Developers see the complaints and work to solve them.

People saying "OMG best game ever" and attempting to silence anyone with a complaint does nothing to improve gaming. It makes it stale. It's why the Wii was born....

• @CarScar said: I honestly don't understand why people didn't like episode 5. I honestly thought it was, by far, the best episode.

You weren't disappointed at all in the length? Every other episode was almost twice as long, so it was logical to assume that the finale would at least be as long if not longer. It should have been half the price.

• @Sabiancym said: You weren't disappointed at all in the length? Every other episode was almost twice as long, so it was logical to assume that the finale would at least be as long if not longer. It should have been half the price.

It was not really that much shorter, it took the same for me as the first episode.

@Sabiancym said: It's perfectly justified. Pick any thread that doesn't just say "OMG BEST GAME EVA!!" and has real criticism of the game. Instead of a discussion about concerns brought up, you'll find people blindly defending the game. Instead of talking about possible issues, they'll claim that the people who are doing the criticism just don't know what they're talking about.

In this thread alone there are multiple examples of this. I said that I disappointed that the choices in this game don't change the story at all. A few posts later someone replies and says that my definition of "choice" is wrong.....

Why do they care so much that everyone like the game? Posting criticisms of certain parts of a game makes the industry as a whole better. Developers see the complaints and work to solve them.

People saying "OMG best game ever" and attempting to silence anyone with a complaint does nothing to improve gaming. It makes it stale. It's why the Wii was born....

One sided discussion is not healthy. If you don't like people replying to your post, then there don't post. Otherwise don't complain when people counter you.

• @Sabiancym said: You weren't disappointed at all in the length? Every other episode was almost twice as long, so it was logical to assume that the finale would at least be as long if not longer. It should have been half the price.

i don't know how long the episode was, it was only the forums that informed me that episode 5 was shorter, so the length of the episode didn't even register as a factor of my enjoyment of the episode

It stays true to the name "No Time Left", Lee was on a mission and wouldn't stop to do anything. Honestly I'm fine with the length, it was only like half an hour shorter then the other episodes and it didn't have one of those really boring, long "filler" sequences (e.g. starting the train). It was all action / emotion and any downtime only lasted, at most, five minutes.

• @CrazyandProud said:

One sided discussion is not healthy. If you don't like people replying to your post, then there don't post. Otherwise don't complain when people counter you.

Where did I say that I didn't like people replying? I love discussing it. It's pretty obvious that they have a problem with someone disliking the game. I've expressed my criticism with examples from the industry and the game. Instead of them doing the same to counter my point, many have said that I just didn't get it and question my intelligence and/or my concept of "art".

• @Doctanian said:
    you just don't understand the literary genius of TellTale" - Typical Poster

@Doctanian said:
    you have greatly misunderstood the whole story.

lol

• @viruscarrier said:
    4. Clem's Parents.
    This was by far the worst handled segment of the entire series. For all the build-up towards finding her parents, all we got out of it was a 10 second segment where Lee falls unconscious and Clem almost freaks out. For something they've been building up since Episode 1, the essential hand wave of "hey here they are" and instant removal was simply insulting. I honestly can't believe they thought this part was going to be well received. Another chance at actually solidifying a character arc that they simple dropped the ball on.

I don't know what the writers thought but to me it was like... This thing is so ordinary now in their world. People dying left and right... Major poop is hitting the fan at a constant flow.

Personally I'm glad they don't go over the top with everything like in a regular action adventure movie/game.

• My main problems: The episode was pretty short, there was no way to save anyone, and because Lee was bit, I didn't get the feeling of the first four where I had no idea where the story was going, because I knew he was a goner.

• I heavily agree on Point 4.

I would have loved to have talked to Ed or Dianna.

Mainly because I wanted to see the reaction of, "Hey, I'm a convicted felon, hanging out with your 9 year old daughter."

Add Comment