User Avatar Image

Creating a character for S2

posted by BourbonTeacup on - last edited - Viewed by 333 users

I don't care what Telltale does for the new protagonist as long as its good (Please don't take that 'Navy Seals team 6 sniper' suggestion that keeps going around, in the words of Kenny "Thats fucking stupid Ben") I would really like us to be able to actually create a character (I mean what they look like and their origin, not just personality) Of course I understand that Telltale has a lot of limitations when creating their games so I completely understand if they give us a protagonist. But I just think it would be really cool if we got to put ourselves or our ideal character into the ZA. Think about it, with Lee we already saw the apocalypse first hand and were shaped by it. But this character has already (likely) been surviving for a while (I'm guessing they will start off where Season 1 left off, which is 3 months in) Which means they should already be shaped by experiences. We put ourselves into our Lee so why don't we take it a step further and actually create our survivour. Gender, origin and appearence. I think this would be a cool idea for the next season.

23 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Character looks creation would be really cool, but I doubt it'll happen. I'm not computer whiz or anything so this may be nonsense but just the character models in the game don't seem like the type that could be made through a character creator- they all have a kind of hand-drawn look.

• Well, I have no problem playing as whatever character they create, and I think they'll do season 2 like season 1 in that regard. I can't see them giving us character choice, even if they were technically able. But reading your post got me thinking: how fun would it be to see each others play throughs and look at the characters created?

• Considering the game is completely story driven I think the worst thing they could possibly do is give the player the opportunity to create their own character.

• @dustpuffs said: Well, I have no problem playing as whatever character they create, and I think they'll do season 2 like season 1 in that regard. I can't see them giving us character choice, even if they were technically able. But reading your post got me thinking: how fun would it be to see each others play throughs and look at the characters created?

Exactly!

• I'll just say that if you have the option to dress Lee in something at all mismatched, stupid or silly, it would sap the emotional weight from the story. This series isn't a sandbox, a collection of dolls, a simulation or a competition. It's a test of character.

If I want to play a silly looking character in a ZA there's plenty of games out there for that. This is the only one I've found with this much gravitas, and I want season 2 to keep it that way.

• Given the style of games these are?

No... just.... no.

• clem has gone by what you told her in your final words and what you taught her.

• Has any adventure game ever allowed you to create your own character before? I can't think of any.

Anyway, there's no way Season 2 would allow you to create any backstory you want and just have the game acknowledge it naturally. That kind of technology doesn't even exist with the big developers, let alone Telltale. The best you could hope for is maybe choosing between a male or female character, with the main character getting a few different reactions depending on his/her sex. And even that's probably too much to expect.

• @RAnthonyMahan said: Has any adventure game ever allowed you to create your own character before? I can't think of any.

Anyway, there's no way Season 2 would allow you to create any backstory you want and just have the game acknowledge it naturally. That kind of technology doesn't even exist with the big developers, let alone Telltale. The best you could hope for is maybe choosing between a male or female character, with the main character getting a few different reactions depending on his/her sex. And even that's probably too much to expect.

I was thinking more like Mass Effect where you and others occasionally in dialouge bring up your characters backstory.

• Well imagine Season 1 when you could pick your own "backstory" (out of 3 in mass effect?), it just wouldn't work anymore if Lee wasn't a criminal/murderer. I think Telltale should invest in choices during the game and not before the game even starts.. only then there is some emotional weight to it and maybe this time around after season 2 not everyone has the same results no matter how they played. I would love that.

Add Comment