User Avatar Image

Episode 5 Disappointment (vent here) **SPOILERS**

posted by MaroubraDave on - last edited - Viewed by 4.6K users

Telltale,
Firstly i would like to say great game and a fantastic concept. However the ending i would say is not so great. While it is very well made and certainly tugs at your heart strings, I didn't play the game and wait for the ending only to find out i die anyway... Now i know people may argue that you didn't see lee actually turn so maybe he will be ok, but the fact you left it this way is really a let down to the series. I was really looking forward to the last episode but in all honesty it just brought me down and i kinda wish i stopped playing at episode 4. :confused: There should be an alternative ending where you can at least live... Just my opinion.

407 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Hazevamp said: Not really, most characters pretty much say the same lines to you no matter what. Which honestly makes no sense for the situation. Others will speak slightly different lines. Once again, how does the change in dialogue change the story? If you look at the story alone, it is pretty much a linear set in stone story no matter what you choose.

They were a lot of different dialogue when I replayed it.

• @Hazevamp said: No its a fact and yes they did mislead everyone with their wording.

No, it's not a fact, and you saying this doesn't make it a fact. Unless you're a member of Telltale's marketing team or someone with insider information, what you just wrote is utter speculation.

@Hazevamp said: No one said the story had to "dramatically" change not even Mass Effect's story dramatically changed but the changes were at least there whereas TWD game was more about the player's emotional experience based on the dialogue options. Anyone who thinks Telltale games wasn't trying to cash in on the whole Mass Effect deal with that "story tailored" ploy is very naive and I would love to sell you a bridge.:rolleyes:

The implications from several posters here are that they're frustrated with the game because the overall narrative was set in stone. I'm honestly not even sure what you're trying to say here -- that Telltale was using Mass Effect's momentum to generate interest in the game? Is that it? Even if that is the case, who cares? It's strategic marketing designed to cast a wider net and get more players. If the claim is that Telltale outright stole the idea of a tailored game narrative from whoever designed ME, that's beyond ridiculous. That's like saying I'm plagiarizing Stephen King's Salem's Lot because I wanted to write a story about vampires.

Seriously not sure what point you're trying to make here.

• @CrazyandProud said: They were a lot of different dialogue when I replayed it.

2 or 3 different lines at best. Wowzers, that totally tailored my story!

• @shedim said: 2 or 3 different lines at best. Wowzers, that totally tailored my story!

Not even true in the slightest, but I'm tired of getting into this argument with people. Someone else can do it.

• @lucidity02 said: Not even true in the slightest, but I'm tired of getting into this argument with people. Someone else can do it.

Of course. I don't care to elaborate either because I'm always right...and if I'm not, I just run away claiming I'm too tired of backing up my assertions and let somebody else do it.

• @shedim said: Of course. I don't care to elaborate either because I'm always right...and if I'm not, I just run away claiming I'm too tired of backing up my assertions and let somebody else do it.

what would they have to do for you to consider it to matter to you?

maybe if you said what you expected and what would matter to you we could better understand your complaints

• @shedim said: 2 or 3 different lines at best. Wowzers, that totally tailored my story!

It was more then two to three different lines....

• my main problem with this game is from the outset, Telltale said choices matter, after episode 3 it was clear they didn't mean jack shit, the "choices matter" was a main selling point for the game, clearly they lied. big disappointment.
    I wont be buying into season 2

• @thestalkinghead said: i'm glad i didn't get exactly what i expected when i bought it, but as i have said i would still like a game that is essentially like 5 TWD season 1's in one game and i think season 2 will be an improvement on season 1 (hard to beat) and have more variety.

Something tells me season two will be the same thing but I'll still get it cause I at least liked the story. I would be shocked if Season two offered more actual story changing options. But I do have my fingers crossed that they will.

• @lucidity02 said: No, it's not a fact, and you saying this doesn't make it a fact. Unless you're a member of Telltale's marketing team or someone with insider information, what you just wrote is utter speculation.

No, it's based on common marketing sense. After games like Mass Effect where its biggest selling point were the choices it's only natural for any similar game to try and market to the same crowd. Even the most basic marketing teams know this simple fact. It's two biggest selling points were the fact that it is a walking dead video game AND its a game where choices matter. If it was only about the experience in dialogue then why not just say that? Cause it sounds pretty darn boring, that's why. Why go over stats at the end of each episode? To keep up the idea that everyone is playing a different story. You don't need to have the inside track in a company to know its simple marketing tactics.

The implications from several posters here are that they're frustrated with the game because the overall narrative was set in stone. I'm honestly not even sure what you're trying to say here -- that Telltale was using Mass Effect's momentum to generate interest in the game? Is that it? Even if that is the case, who cares? It's strategic marketing designed to cast a wider net and get more players. If the claim is that Telltale outright stole the idea of a tailored game narrative from whoever designed ME, that's beyond ridiculous. That's like saying I'm plagiarizing Stephen King's Salem's Lot because I wanted to write a story about vampires.
    Seriously not sure what point you're trying to make here.

Now you're just throwing out a bunch of points that don't matter. The number one issue here is that Telltale games claimed the story was "tailored to how you play" yet never gave you options to even play anyway that was different from how THEY wanted you to play, which means it was a linear story from start to finish with a few surface changes in dialogue and scenes. In the end the creators told their own story yet pretended the player had a say in it. Which we didn't. I never said they were plagiarizing ME, that's just stupid. But they knew how popular the game was, knew their own game was a bit similar, and decided to use a bit of "wording" to suggest you would get the same story changing style of game play. You may not care that they marketed their game wrongfully to get more money but that doesn't mean everyone should feel the same as you.

Add Comment