User Avatar Image

Why do people like Ben?

posted by Doctanian on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users

I'm not saying you shouldn't like Ben. I just don't get it.

Personally, I think it's because he's so much of a woobie, people feel sorry for him no matter what. Yes, he's young and a teenager, but if Clementine and Carl can be productive, there's really no excuse. He's one of those characters that doesn't do anything right, pouts that he can't do anything right, and thus receives sympathy galore. Even if you support him, he still fucks up and fucks you over, so saying that people are too hard on him is bullshit. The only harsh criticism he got was when he told Kenny he dealt with the bandits and Kenny's response was reasonable.Before, then, he was a member of the team at the motor inn.

My problem? Has nothing to do with Carley, bandits, letting zombies in Crawford's school or his numerous other fuckups.

One main thing.

[LIST=1]
[*]HE LEFT CLEMENTINE TO DIE. The same girl that would later defend him from being thrown off the boat.
[*]He doesn't watch her when you tell him to, instead he makes excuses. He should've brought her upstairs with him.
[*]He didn't even help you look for her when she's missing.
[*]When Lee gets bit, an option to bring him along is by making him feel guilty with Clementine. He had to be reminded that Clementine stood up for him.
[/LIST]

If anything, Clem should've reminded him of his sister he said he had in Episode 5.

Even Larry showed concern for Clementine. Larry even tries to save Lee if you give him the axe. Hell, the main fucking antagonist, Campman, showed more love for Clem than Ben. A fucking Hobo showed more love for Clem.

88 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I liked Ben because he's probably the most realistic character in the game. Ben is how most teenagers would react in a zombie apocalypse. All he wanted to do was help but because of it he kept hurting people, even the ones he cared about (e.g. Carley, Doug, Katjaa, Duck, Kenny, nearly Clementine). During the bell tower scene I think he wanted Lee to drop him simply because he didn't want to hurt anyone else with his actions.

    I'm also under the belief that humanity > survival.

  • @darknessofheart said: I've seen no evidence of him being given mature tasks prior to him having to look after Clem. He was on watch in episode 3 and Kenny thought that was a mistake in itself. There is no evidence that he was properly trained with guns despite holding one; he claims to not be good with them. He was then told to look after Clem, but aside from that, he is always told to stay behind.

    When on the subject of Ben, many comment that he's still just a kid such as Lee ("he's still just a kid, it's easy to forget that"), Chuck ("three adults taking care of three kids"), Kenny ("looks like we got the kid on watch again"). I see no indication that anyone saw Ben as anything more than that.


    [LIST=1]
    [*]They put Ben on watch.
    [*]Lee tells Ben to watch Lilly with a gun. Lee says Lilly keeps everyone on a training schedule, so I'm assuming Ben got some rifle training at least.
    [*]Ben's biggest time to prove himself was when Lee told him to help Clementine.
    [*]He had to guard the motel with Carley or Doug. Think about that. He's left at the motel which was being attacked by bandits (before he made the deal) with only Carley or Doug. Carley's a crack shot, but c'mon.
    [/LIST]

    Chuck then turns around and says age doesn't matter. Lee agrees. Kenny obviously didn't care because he wanted to kill Ben. So all recanted their statements in a way. Again. Lee, Lilly, and Kenny all wanted to kill Ben. How do they see him as a kid?

  • @CarScar said: I liked Ben because he's probably the most realistic character in the game. Ben is how most teenagers would react in a zombie apocalypse. All he wanted to do was help but because of it he kept hurting people, even the ones he cared about (e.g. Carley, Doug, Katjaa, Duck, Kenny, nearly Clementine). During the bell tower scene I think he wanted Lee to drop him simply because he didn't want to hurt anyone else with his actions.

    I'm also under the belief that humanity > survival.



    If it's not about survival, but humanity then why did he leave a little girl to be mauled by zombies? Even if he ran and then came back to make up for it, I would've forgiven him, but c'mon man. If you seriously think most teenagers would behave like Ben, then you've just insulted an entire generation.

  • @Doctanian said: If it's not about survival, but humanity then why did he leave a little girl to be mauled by zombies? Even if he ran and then came back to make up for it, I would've forgiven him, but c'mon man. If you seriously think most teenagers would behave like Ben, then you've just insulted an entire generation.



    some would act like that (somewhat a 32% of teens would act like that)

  • @anonymau5 said: Now, hold on. He ran away because he wasn't thinking. He obviously did care. I suppose you were never a teenager yourself. Ben did keep an eye on Clem, until a wounded man needed help. Ben wasn't justified in leaving Clem, but he was justified in helping a man who couldn't WALK ON HIS OWN.



    He ran to save himself, showing us he cared more about his own life than he did a 9 year old girl's. Period.

    He could've told Clem to come upstairs with him. He could've made her. If he can't handle a 9 year old, then why the fuck would he assist with a wounded man?

  • @Doctanian said: If it's not about survival, but humanity then why did he leave a little girl to be mauled by zombies? Even if he ran and then came back to make up for it, I would've forgiven him, but c'mon man. If you seriously think most teenagers would behave like Ben, then you've just insulted an entire generation.


    I didn't mean in regards with Ben, all he wants to do is make sure he doesn't become a walker (it's implied that's his biggest fear). I'm talking in regards with Lee, my Lee believes in humanity over survival and if I dropped Ben I would have been no different than Crawford.

    Do you honestly believe teenagers would act heroic in a zombie apocalypse? Especially one that is in a band class. I'm willing to bet almost all teenagers would act like sniveling children, only exceptions are the ones that have parents like Rick Grimes.

  • @CarScar said: I didn't mean in regards with Ben, all he wants to do is make sure he doesn't become a walker (it's implied that's his biggest fear). I'm talking in regards with Lee, my Lee believes in humanity over survival and if I dropped Ben I would have been no different than Crawford.

    Do you honestly believe teenagers would act heroic in a zombie apocalypse? Especially one that is in a band class. I'm willing to bet almost all teenagers would act like sniveling children, only exceptions are the ones that have parents like Rick Grimes.



    Sorry, I misread that.

    No, I don't. However, most cowards probably would die early on. Bravery is pretty much required in TWD. You're dead without it. Ben lived as long as he did because of the bravery of Carley and Doug. Because of Lee's bravery. Because of Clem's bravery. Because of Kenny's bravery. You'd think some of that courage would rub off.

    Look around the globe, kids show examples of bravery every day. American and many First World teenagers are sheltered, but give them the benefit of the doubt.

  • @Doctanian said: [LIST=1]
    [*]They put Ben on watch.
    [*]Lee tells Ben to watch Lilly with a gun. Lee says Lilly keeps everyone on a training schedule, so I'm assuming Ben got some rifle training at least.
    [*]Ben's biggest time to prove himself was when Lee told him to help Clementine.
    [*]He had to guard the motel with Carley or Doug. Think about that. He's left at the motel which was being attacked by bandits (before he made the deal) with only Carley or Doug. Carley's a crack shot, but c'mon.
    [/LIST]

    Chuck then turns around and says age doesn't matter. Lee agrees. Kenny obviously didn't care because he wanted to kill Ben. So all recanted their statements in a way. Again. Lee, Lilly, and Kenny all wanted to kill Ben. How do they see him as a kid?



    Again, to Chuck age doesn't matter, but they will still be seen as one if that's how they are treated. I'm a little confused as to how Lilly and Kenny wanting to kill Ben has anything to do with thinking he isn't a kid. They were pissed at him and wanted him dead because he messed up badly; Ben isn't a child, but he is still not old enough to be an adult and is still not treated as such either. You said that Ben being young doesn't matter because age doesn't matter, and while I agreed with that, it still matters if they aren't treated as adults.

    He was left in charge of the motel by a grieving woman (who later claims she's never trusted him during the argument on the road, so why she even let him is beyond me) while Kenny thinks it was a horrible idea to put him on watch. He was definitely not going to be trusted with guarding the Motel unless Carley was with him and having him hold up a gun towards a tied up woman with Lee a few feet away may have been the first rays of trust.

    Again though, Ben is not comfortable with guns and wasn't properly trained to use them (unless there is a specific line that Lilly trained Ben, I don't think he was because there is obviously no evidence of it when he uses them) and has been rather sheltered from embarking on dangerous situations. To me, that explains why he did stupid things, not out of spite or malice, and why I don't mind the kid. Had Lee did training sessions with Ben, got him familiar with guns and how to aim, briefed him on supply runs and how to stay calm, and have others work with him, Ben would've been much more useful. As it is, he had no courage or self confidence and simply did not know how to handle himself.

    Some people have it built into their character, but Ben didn't. I understand why people hate him and how cutting him loose might even be the smart, if inhumane, thing to do. I didn't want to leave him behind and thought the core of his character wasn't spiteful or malicious, but just a normal person thrown into this without any grasp on how to save others. Threatening a person to step up can only go so far, they need to be familiar with weapons to have the confidence to protect themselves and others.

    People can blame Ben all they want about all these deaths, but at the end of the day, Lilly was crazed and killed Carley herself, Katjaa made the decision to take her own life, and who knows what the bandits would've done if they didn't make that deal.

  • I'm not going to bother to quote.....

    MOLLY IS NOT DEAD... sheesh. :p

  • @Doctanian said: Sorry, I misread that.

    No, I don't. However, most cowards probably would die early on. Bravery is pretty much required in TWD. You're dead without it. Ben lived as long as he did because of the bravery of Carley and Doug. Because of Lee's bravery. Because of Clem's bravery. Because of Kenny's bravery. You'd think some of that courage would rub off.

    Look around the globe, kids show examples of bravery every day. American and many First World teenagers are sheltered, but give them the benefit of the doubt.


    As you said, most cowards would survive due to the courage of others. E.g. cowardly teens would survive due to their parents bravery and love for them. Maybe 5% of the kids in this generation have displayed some bravery (e.g. Jeremy Wuitschick in California, the kid who drove the school bus following the bus driver losing unconsciousness).

    I'm willing to bet most teenagers would have the mentality that they'd be a hero following a zombie apocalypse, they'd be super brave and all of that. But in reality, when push comes to shove, they'd be too afraid to do anything heroic. It's not like Ben doesn't have some bravery though, going into Crawford by itself must have required a lot of bravery and I bet you he cares more about Clementine, or whoever, more then his own life but when the situation calls for it fear clouds his judgement and always prevails. Believe it or not but in those dire situations it really is hard to act, even if someone you love is in danger.

    "He thought about other people before he thought about himself. My mom always told me that's what makes a good person."

Add Comment