User Avatar Image

[SPOILERS]The Walking Dead episode 5 and entire game REVIEW thread

posted by Vainamoinen on - last edited - Viewed by 9.7K users

Yup, this is it. Post your long and short, detailed or general, random or specific thoughts about the last episode and concluding thoughts about the Season right here.

No spoiler tags necessary, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU'VE PLAYED THE EPISODES!!!

(poll rates the whole game, not just episode 5)

278 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Why is it that people can't just have their opinion on whether or not they like something, without having to bash those that disagree? This is a game with players from all over the world, male and female, as young as around 12 to as old as 82. Everyone's life experiences and views of the world are not exactly alike, and with such vastly different personalities, we cannot expect everyone to agree on a subject like this.

• @dustpuffs said: Why is it that people can't just have their opinion on whether or not they like something, without having to bash those that disagree? This is a game with players from all over the world, male and female, as young as around 12 to as old as 82. Everyone's life experiences and views of the world are not exactly alike, and with such vastly different personalities, we cannot expect everyone to agree on a subject like this.

I agree. It's good to see that the game's message of "the world is shades of gray, not black and white" was completely missed by many players of this game.

• @lucidity02 said: I agree. It's good to see that the game's message of "the world is shades of gray, not black and white" was completely missed by many players of this game.

You just said that you agree with the poster who said people should stop bashing other's opinions...and then go on to bash people by saying that they missed a concept in the game....

The irony is too much..

• @Sabiancym said: You just said that you agree with the poster who said people should stop bashing other's opinions...and then go on to bash people by saying that they missed a concept in the game....

The irony is too much..

No offense, but you missed my point. I wasn't bashing anyone. My post was commentary on the fact that this forum appears to now be divided up into kneejerk post replies and folks with black-and-white mentalities (i.e. trolls vs. fanboys) rather than people trying to have middle-ground, gray-area, objective discussions about the potential merits and downsides to this game. Sort of like the US 2012 presidential election.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@lucidity02 said: Sort of like the US 2012 presidential election.

You made little girls cry with that. I saw the videos.

• @Vainamoinen said: You made little girls cry with that. I saw the videos.

God bless her; the voice of her people! Seriously, a bunch of us are going to be crying with her if they don't shut it with the bullshit "who will run in 2016" already. Give us a damn break.

• Definitely 10/10, if it isn't worthy for a 10/10 then I have no idea what kind of game would deserve it.

• Episode five is the shortest one for sure. But I'm not going to say that is not good.- There was no un unnecessary extension or creating unnecessary storyline.

In episode four I was missing the "difficult choices". Now, after 5th I'm not.

The confrontation with our decisions about Clementine was really good. Just when I had entered the Hotel I was able to feel amazing atmosphere of this place. After having few words with kidnapper I knew that one of us was not gonna to stay alive. I had to protect Clem and I was fighting like never before in any game to save her from that man.

The ending was the most emotional and simply the best moment in the history of video games.

What about whole first season of TWD?

General assumptions for the story are a routine as for the others post-apocalyptic fiction novels. It is about survival, food, loss of loved ones, travel and shelter. Nothing new. But implementation method was wonderful.

Characters are written excellently. Only at the end of I understand how big bond is between me and Lee and Clementine. In addition to their there are amazing supporting characters like Lilly and Kenny.

An equally important element in the total is the atmosphere. The fact that we were able to lose loved ones made me feel uncertainly.

I must also mention the very good dialogues and brilliant moments both poignant and shocking. For example, Carley's death.

Thanks are also due to designers and actors for visuals and voice acting. They did a great job.

Were there any disadvantages?

Yeap. Few worse moments in episode four and few technical issues with saves and downloading.

A lot of people say that their choices are limited. I have to disagree with them. I wrote a few words about it in [SPOILERS]Limited Choices discussion (merged threads).- "It's the decisions that change you, not the outcome." And I had known what I was buying. An adventure game. What does it mean? That the story has an impact on you and not vice versa. Even if it was written "This game series adapts to the choices you make. The story is tailored by how you play." I did not expect it will be like cRPG game with branched storyline. Besides, where one will see only the lack of any intervention, others see a very high consistency of the story.

I will be missing the waiting time for next episodes and I do not know how good will have to be 2nd season to be better than 1st.

In the end I wish to mention about The ending once again. I was thinking a lot about it and I will never forget it.

Bravo Telltale! Thank you for that brilliant story.

PS Sorry for my English. I hope that one day I will be able to buy boxed edition in my country. ( I'm from Poland)

• My review;

Final episode sure was the shortest. Maybe to make up for various pathways? It felt pretty teamdriven the first half, so I wonder how it would be if you went solo. Who'd want to cut off your arm for example? Own idea?

Also, the "reason" for the bad guy being a bad guy. If you made a different one would it be the same guy with a different reason? Probably, kinda sucky though. Damned if you do, damned if you don't isn't much of a choice.

Also stupid was near the end just given up on 1000(!) zombies being a threat and just murdering a path through them. If we could simply do that why did so many of my team die, why are we running all these episodes? Just chop chop like here. Eeeehhh...

And after the ending another proof little girls *never* listen... :facepalm:

Besides that, it had some interesting choices and happenings, and since the gameplay sucks as always, it's funfactor is entirely decided by that. So one of the better episodes overall due to that...

EDIT:
    Due to the wording of the poll options, a 6 from me... not good enough to be 'really enjoyable'... needs more solid gameplay for that...

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Hassat Hunter said:

EDIT:
    Due to the wording of the poll options, a 6 from me...

Took quite a while making that wording up. ;)

Numbers are a bit unfit to really judge a game with, even more so considering that there seldom is a game that doesn't get more than 75% by all those gamezines out there. So the 'identifiers' up there are actually the definition of the numbers. But things are going REALLY well for the game in that poll, aren't they?!?

Add Comment