User Avatar Image

Why do people like Ben?

posted by Doctanian on - last edited - Viewed by 2.2K users

I'm not saying you shouldn't like Ben. I just don't get it.

Personally, I think it's because he's so much of a woobie, people feel sorry for him no matter what. Yes, he's young and a teenager, but if Clementine and Carl can be productive, there's really no excuse. He's one of those characters that doesn't do anything right, pouts that he can't do anything right, and thus receives sympathy galore. Even if you support him, he still fucks up and fucks you over, so saying that people are too hard on him is bullshit. The only harsh criticism he got was when he told Kenny he dealt with the bandits and Kenny's response was reasonable.Before, then, he was a member of the team at the motor inn.

My problem? Has nothing to do with Carley, bandits, letting zombies in Crawford's school or his numerous other fuckups.

One main thing.

[LIST=1]
[*]HE LEFT CLEMENTINE TO DIE. The same girl that would later defend him from being thrown off the boat.
[*]He doesn't watch her when you tell him to, instead he makes excuses. He should've brought her upstairs with him.
[*]He didn't even help you look for her when she's missing.
[*]When Lee gets bit, an option to bring him along is by making him feel guilty with Clementine. He had to be reminded that Clementine stood up for him.
[/LIST]

If anything, Clem should've reminded him of his sister he said he had in Episode 5.

Even Larry showed concern for Clementine. Larry even tries to save Lee if you give him the axe. Hell, the main fucking antagonist, Campman, showed more love for Clem than Ben. A fucking Hobo showed more love for Clem.

88 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Why do I like Ben? Huh, that's a tough question even though he's my favorite character. I think it's just a friendly guy, because I don't know how many others would give Clementine some stickers they found in a drawer. That and he's one of the most human people in the group. Lilly and Larry became complete maniacs, Carley was getting a little too bitchy (Yes I agree with that), Kenny's family got a little too confident and Kenny himself wouldn't let go of anything. Along with Doug and Mark (Or what I saw of him), Ben stayed a good-minded person who wasn't afraid to say what was on his mind, unlike Doug. Even with everyone constantly bombarding him with insults and distrust, Ben kept calm (Except Episode 5) and wanted to kill himself because everyone else but Lee wanted him gone. Ben may have messed up, but to me, on the inside, Ben was a hero.

Also he took me back to watching Scooby-Doo on Saturday morning.

• @HiggsBoson2142 said: Why do I like Ben? Huh, that's a tough question even though he's my favorite character. I think it's just a friendly guy, because I don't know how many others would give Clementine some stickers they found in a drawer. That and he's one of the most human people in the group. Lilly and Larry became complete maniacs, Carley was getting a little too bitchy (Yes I agree with that), Kenny's family got a little too confident and Kenny himself wouldn't let go of anything. Along with Doug and Mark (Or what I saw of him), Ben stayed a good-minded person who wasn't afraid to say what was on his mind, unlike Doug. Even with everyone constantly bombarding him with insults and distrust, Ben kept calm (Except Episode 5) and wanted to kill himself because everyone else but Lee wanted him gone. Ben may have messed up, but to me, on the inside, Ben was a hero.

Also he took me back to watching Scooby-Doo on Saturday morning.

So he reminds you of shaggy too?

• @zeke10 said: So he reminds you of shaggy too?

*nods*

• @HiggsBoson2142 said: *nods*

Hmm sucks he didn't find a dog
    "Like zoinks lee"

• @zeke10 said: Hmm sucks he didn't find a dog
    "Like zoinks lee"

What about that dog we dug up. Ben and Skeletal Dog adventures, I like the sound of that.

• @Moggyoxys said: What about that dog we dug up. Ben and Skeletal Dog adventures, I like the sound of that.

Lol but me thinks the walkers ain't just guys in masks

• @zeke10 said: Lol but me thinks the walkers ain't just guys in masks

Doug - Fred
    Ben - Shaggy
    Carley - Velma
    Lilly - Daphne
    Dead dog - Scooby

• @HiggsBoson2142 said: Doug - Fred
    Ben - Shaggy
    Carley - Velma
    Lilly - Daphne
    Dead dog - Scooby

Carley as Velma!? Did you forget a certain battery-related incident? They're polar opposites! :eek:

Anyway, i like Ben because he has a good heart(despite his attitude in episode 4 :mad: ). Even if i didn't like him i would still try to save him, because we're in this together, and everyone counts, regardless of your mistakes(unless he gets someone killed literally every 5 minutes).

• @shedim said: So if everyone can screw up as he pleases over and over again and get away with it because the oh-so-poor-guy lost his family, totally unlike everyobody else and...is still considered a poor child...even though he's got a beard...the group isn't going to survive one day.

Can't remember the last time I've seen a kid with a beard. Can you?

Okay, argue with yourself. I've clearly stated what my point was. I'll do it again:

Chuck's "you're either alive or dead,not smart, not strong" etc. (If no-one is smart, and no-one is strong, then no-one is weak and no-one is stupid either) They're all just alive.

This argument stands for everyone, or no one. You can't just use it for certain aspects or people etc.
    So to use it as an argument for either side is pointless. That's what I was saying to Doctanian.

• Ben doesn't have anything to live for.
    Lee lives for Clem (and possible Kenny)
    Clem lives for Lee & her parents
    Kenny lives for Lee & Clem, and formerly Duck, Kat, and Boat
    Omid lives for Christa and her baby
    Christa lives for Omid & her baby

The closest thing to anyone who ever actually cared about him was David Parker and Travis. But they're both gone now :/

Add Comment