User Avatar Image

What the F***, Kenny?!!

posted by WhiterNinja on - last edited - Viewed by 661 users

:spoil-o:
Okay, now I just wanna start off by saying that I really liked Kenny (as most people do, I hear) during episode 1, hell he got on my nerves a bit at the end bit of Ep.2 where he chicken-shited out in the barn while I almost took Danny's rifle to the face, and I of course felt for the poor guy in ep.3, we all know what happened there so I won't bother retelling it... I just finished playing through ep.4 and Kenny told me that he refused to help me rescue Clementine because I've proven that I'm all about saving myself... SAVING MYSELF?!!? The guy who's bit and STILL wants to save a little kid even though he knows that he's going to die soon does NOT strike me as selfish, Kenny!

So I started thinking what could have set this way of thinking off for old Ken? We were basically BFFs right up until... Ep.2!! :eek:
All right, now I'm pissed, I saved Kenny's son Duck from walkers on Hershal's farm, I defended his whole family from that asshole Larry in the drugstore, I fed his son and Clem the rations at the start of ep.2 (which he said was great), I saved his wife AND his son from the St. John's brothers and their crazy ass mom, I told both Kenny AND his wife about my past to show that I trusted them, I fed and looked out for Duck AGAIN after he got bit at the Motor Inn, I killed not one, but TWO kid walkers so far because Kenny couldn't do it (truth be told I didn't want him to shoot his son though, that really is something that no parent should have to do, so I'll let that one slide), and I'M the bad guy here?!!? WHY?! Because I decided that I wouldn't murder Larry in cold blood until I was SURE that he couldn't be saved?! That's why you won't help me save an eight year old girl from what I'm pretty sure is either a petophial or a killer? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you, Kenny! (by the way, every time I say his name I say it like Cartman from South Park, just FYI :p)

Okay, got that out of my system now :p, but seriously am I alone in this thought process here? I really want to know because the whole thing seems kind of ridiculous to me at this point in the game.

.... thoughts? :)

29 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • If you helped Lilly with her father in Ep.2 (Saving him in the freezer), that might be your problem right there.

• @CarScar said: You respect her decision for killing Carley? Really? Her decision to kill Carley......
    ......Alas I still like Lilly considerably more than Kenny. At least she wasn't a dick too me all the time.

Pretty the same with everything you mentioned.
    The only difference I never believed Kenny with his confessions. I think Telltale just tried to place a "guilty but in the end paying his debts" kinda guy into the story. But it just didn't work for me. I mean, I never see him bearing this role.

I called Carley as "mentalzero" cause it didn't sound me clever to slap insults "to someone with a gun"s face that easily. :D

@CarScar said: I can't understand why Lilly shoots Carely and steals the RV and its hilarious how people blow off what she did as just two bad things and say its okay because the group sucked anyway and she had seen her dad die. .

And it is hilarious to me that you see Kenny may have right with his son while Lilly may not have any right about his father?
    It is all about the perspective, man. If you felt terrible when he busted Larry's face in front of her daughter like me, you'd be pleased and smile after her when she stole Kenny's RV.
    Honestly, I never got angry with Lilly for being that badass, as Kenny deserved payback.
    And LeeME was so sure that I can make that train work, so no harm done.

• Duk you think Carely should have just sat there quietly while Lilly threatens to kill Ben/herself? She was probably offended at being called a traitor and angry that Lilly was bullying Ben and going nuts.

• @dukeleto said: Pretty the same with everything you mentioned.
    The only difference I never believed Kenny with his confessions. I think Telltale just tried to place a "guilty but in the end paying his debts" kinda guy into the story. But it just didn't work for me. I mean, I never see him bearing this role.

It worked on me too good. Telltale made me hate Kenny's guts. Like when he said:

"Lee, man... you know I care about Clementine. And I'm a Christian man. But I keep asking myself, if this was me asking you for help, asking you to put your life on the line would you be there for me?"

After he said that I got so angry at him. The only times, that were important, where I hadn't helped Kenny out was in the meat locker and concerning Beatrice (I shot her to put her out of her misery). Just because of those two times you think I wouldn't be there for you? When I've been there to save your family at every possible interval?

But then episode 5 came and I forgave Kenny... it's a testament to Telltale's abilities. They made a character I hated with a passion to someone I actually understood and forgave.
    I called Carley as "mentalzero" cause it didn't sound me clever to slap insults "to someone with a gun"s face that easily. :D
    That's what I like about Carley. She went out defending her friend. She could have stopped, yes, but that's not who Carley is. She's loyal. I also don't think Carley would have been able to predict Lilly shooting her. Despite their disputes, they've been together for a long time, there had to have been some trust there (or at least on Carley's side). I mean if someone like Kenny trusted her, I bet you Carley would have trusted her too.

"Yeah Lilly and I have our problems, but I don't distrust her."

• @Wrighty said: Duk you think Carely should have just sat there quietly while Lilly threatens to kill Ben/herself? She was probably offended at being called a traitor and angry that Lilly was bullying Ben and going nuts.

Your question places Lilly on a golden throne as she was the ultimate legislator or something. Her words were not execution itself and if I were Carley, I'd try to remain calm against her blames. If it is not enough, I could play my cards(my vote) on Lilly as she played on me.
    Or I could try to reason with her, maybe I'd try to look like I'm convinced there is a traitor. And whatever it takes, I'd suggest her to discuss this at a later time (as Lee offered).
    OR I could try to touch her to make her calm. You know, touching helps to kill the tension in such conditions.
    Whatever I choose, I know I wouldn't choose to insult someone with a gun.
    I'm not that crazy :D

@Wrighty said: It worked on me too good. Telltale made me hate Kenny's guts. Like when he said:

"Lee, man... you know I care about Clementine. And I'm a Christian man. But I keep asking myself, if this was me asking you for help, asking you to put your life on the line would you be there for me?"

After he said that I got so angry at him. The only times, that were important, where I hadn't helped Kenny out was in the meat locker and concerning Beatrice (I shot her to put her out of her misery). Just because of those two times you think I wouldn't be there for you? When I've been there to save your family at every possible interval?

But then episode 5 came and I forgave Kenny... it's a testament to Telltale's abilities. They made a character I hated with a passion to someone I actually understood and forgave.[/I]

I wish I could do the same.
    I didn't believe him (as me) BUT I still remained calm (as Lee). As if it was just because my Lee NEVER gave up watching his back, and I think I made choices with dialogs according to Lee's vision much more than me myself.
    I don't know, maybe some part of me deeply desires his help for rescue mission of Clem. But the thing I'm sure is I ALWAYS want anybody possible to survive no matter who they are or what they did, in videogames. I saw myself dying many times during the final boss fight while trying to rescue another team member in RES.EVIL- Outbreak series.
    :P

• @WhiterNinja said: :spoil-o:
    Okay, now I just wanna start off by saying that I really liked Kenny (as most people do, I hear) during episode 1, hell he got on my nerves a bit at the end bit of Ep.2 where he chicken-shited out in the barn while I almost took Danny's rifle to the face, and I of course felt for the poor guy in ep.3, we all know what happened there so I won't bother retelling it... I just finished playing through ep.4 and Kenny told me that he refused to help me rescue Clementine because I've proven that I'm all about saving myself... SAVING MYSELF?!!? The guy who's bit and STILL wants to save a little kid even though he knows that he's going to die soon does NOT strike me as selfish, Kenny!

So I started thinking what could have set this way of thinking off for old Ken? We were basically BFFs right up until... Ep.2!! :eek:
    All right, now I'm pissed, I saved Kenny's son Duck from walkers on Hershal's farm, I defended his whole family from that asshole Larry in the drugstore, I fed his son and Clem the rations at the start of ep.2 (which he said was great), I saved his wife AND his son from the St. John's brothers and their crazy ass mom, I told both Kenny AND his wife about my past to show that I trusted them, I fed and looked out for Duck AGAIN after he got bit at the Motor Inn, I killed not one, but TWO kid walkers so far because Kenny couldn't do it (truth be told I didn't want him to shoot his son though, that really is something that no parent should have to do, so I'll let that one slide), and I'M the bad guy here?!!? WHY?! Because I decided that I wouldn't murder Larry in cold blood until I was SURE that he couldn't be saved?! That's why you won't help me save an eight year old girl from what I'm pretty sure is either a petophial or a killer? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you, Kenny! (by the way, every time I say his name I say it like Cartman from South Park, just FYI :p)

Okay, got that out of my system now :p, but seriously am I alone in this thought process here? I really want to know because the whole thing seems kind of ridiculous to me at this point in the game.

.... thoughts? :)

I think you summed up a flawed man named Kenny very well. This post is worthy of being on the fuck Kenny thread if you wouldn't mind posting it there as well.

I do give you credit for seeing Kenny for what he is rather than trying to figure out how to fix your broken game. Others posted similar comments but did not see Kenny's flaws only seeking a way to trick him into going with you after he already said he would not.

Ultimately, Clem's safety is your responsibility. This road is a dangerous one and if a person does not love Clem then they don't need to go with you. Tell Kenny to go fuck himself...that's what I did.

• This topic is just so funny.

*watches replies*

• I just finished ep.2, but Kenny is really getting on my nerves. I kinda like him in in ep.1, but the second one, he's just being an ass about everything. With the exception of picking Shawn over Duck and trying to save Larry, I'm always on his side. I defended him from that asshole Larry, I gave him and his stupid kid some food, I saved his family and he's still being a dick. I really try to like him because I want him to like me too and have my back, but he's being a dick now. So, fuck you, Kenny!

• Okay, so... I might take some heat now for saying this (didn't realize how strongly people felt over the whole Kenny/Lilly thing), but I JUST finished playing the final episode of the game, ep.5... and by the end of the episode I had forgiven Kenny! :o
    I still hate that he let me go off after Clem on my own just because of the ONE moment where we disagreed with killing Larry in the meat locker, but after he rejoined the group, and after he got a serious wake up call from Ben (yes, I pulled Ben up instead of letting him go), we were able to finally hash things out and we basically forgave and forgot everything up to that point and we were basically BFFs again!
    ... then he died... :eek: KENNY, NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Well, he APPARENTLY died anyhow, a lot of people think that he MAYBE could have made it out and will reappear in Season2 (figures crossed I guess, but honesty I'd be pretty surprised), but the POINT is that Kenny had finally shown his true colors once again, he tried to save Ben, he saved me and he told me to go save Clem :)
    Kenny, you were a guy who lost everything, but you still turned out to be a good guy and a good friend in the end.

R.I.P
    Kenny

• @Darth Marsden said: While most people don't have a problem with you swearing in your actual post, can I ask you not to swear in the thread title? I've changed it this time, but if you could avoid doing so in future, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Dude.

Your signature.

I love you so much.

Add Comment