User Avatar Image

Episode 5 Disappointment (vent here) **SPOILERS**

posted by MaroubraDave on - last edited - Viewed by 2.9K users

Telltale,
Firstly i would like to say great game and a fantastic concept. However the ending i would say is not so great. While it is very well made and certainly tugs at your heart strings, I didn't play the game and wait for the ending only to find out i die anyway... Now i know people may argue that you didn't see lee actually turn so maybe he will be ok, but the fact you left it this way is really a let down to the series. I was really looking forward to the last episode but in all honesty it just brought me down and i kinda wish i stopped playing at episode 4. :confused: There should be an alternative ending where you can at least live... Just my opinion.

407 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @thestalkinghead said: what would they have to do for you to consider it to matter to you?

maybe if you said what you expected and what would matter to you we could better understand your complaints

Well, I don't think I can speak for anyone but myself, but I would love for telltale game defenders to make a list of EVERY event in the story where our choices actually mattered (made a lasting impact on the story).

• @Hazevamp said: Well, I don't think I can speak for anyone but myself, but I would love for telltale game defenders to make a list of EVERY event in the story where our choices actually mattered (made a lasting impact on the story).

Amen to that.

Make sure it's a choice that dramatically changed an outcome, where, if I was to pick another option, it wouldn't have happened.

I'll do two for you.

Go out at night or day after you pick up Clementine, go out at night one of the minor character you run into can be a walker, if you go at night.

Save Carley or Doug, changes allot of Chapter 2 & 3

Other than that, most choices happen even if you choose not to, want to save someone? To bad. The writer says he has to die, what? You think YOU can tailor this story? Silly goose.

• @Hazevamp said: Well, I don't think I can speak for anyone but myself, but I would love for telltale game defenders to make a list of EVERY event in the story where our choices actually mattered (made a lasting impact on the story).

listing every event would just be work for me, but here is a few:
    (episode 1) you can chose to give Irene the gun so she can take her own life and not become a walker, (episode 5) you can tell Clementine how it was a hard decision but a good one because she didnt want to become a walker and Clementine would't want to see that and she should shoot him.

(episode 1) you can chose to save carley (episode 3) you can talk to carley and she will suggest telling everybody about your past then you can tell everybody or not

and then there is kenny, and the many things that can totally change how he treats you

these affect the relationships and dialogue in the game, to be honest these weren't the lasting consequences i was expecting, but if in the lord of the rings sauron was best buddies with gandalf and Boromir said "why cant we simply fly into mordor on those giant eagles?" i think people would say the story was changed

• @thestalkinghead said: listing every event would just be work for me, but here is a few:
    (episode 1) you can chose to give Irene the gun so she can take her own life and not become a walker, (episode 5) you can tell Clementine how it was a hard decision but a good one because she didnt want to become a walker and Clementine would't want to see that and she should shoot him.

(episode 1) you can chose to save carley (episode 3) you can talk to carley and she will suggest telling everybody about your past then you can tell everybody or not

and then there is kenny, and the many things that can totally change how he treats you

these affect the relationships and dialogue in the game, to be honest these weren't the lasting consequences i was expecting, but if in the lord of the rings sauron was best buddies with gandalf and Boromir said "why cant we simply fly into mordor on those giant eagles?" i think people would say the story was changed

1. She kills herself anyways. Clem probably wouldn't really care as Lee didn't shoot her, the killing Duck would have more of an impact.

2. Carley dies in the end. Everybody -Omid & Christa(?) and Clem also dies.

3. Kenny dies/is left. (depending on your views)

honhonhonhonhonhon

• @TheRickGrimes said:
    2.Omid & Christa(?) and Clem also dies.

I saw no evidence of any of them dying, so whats that based on? Omid and Christa were going to make their way out of the city and could have been the shadows but even if they weren't no evidence that they died. And how does Clem standing in a field with a gun far outside of any geek crowds mean she is dead?

• @thestalkinghead said: listing every event would just be work for me, but here is a few:

Irene kills herself. It just changes some dialogue. I think the choice to save Doug or Carley is the only real choice a player can make in this entire game that matters. at least one person truly does not get saved. I haven't played the game with Doug. I would have tried it until I heard he dies the same way Carley did, rendering it pointless. I just hope season 2 is better even if it takes longer to release.

• @Saoralba131 said: I made Clementine shoot him...it had to be done.

I couldn't bring myself to make Clem have to do something like that.

• @DarthVader1333 said: It feels like I'm the only person who kept his arm, I knew in the end it wasn't going to help him. I wish he never got bitten to begin with but then it wouldn't have been such a huge driving force for him to find Clem.

I'm also kind of upset with the fact he got handcuffed at the end (which I know was to protect Clem) but it makes me feel that he ended his life how we all saw him begin his journey: a handcuffed prisoner. I felt after all his struggle & sacrifice he still ended up where he was going before it all started, I think he deserved better than that.

I felt like it was an interesting way to end it, back at square one plus an added detriment. The ending was really sad for me, and I was so sad to see that me cutting Lee's arm did absolutely nil to save him. I felt like I was the only one who chose to cut off his arm, based on all the online gameplay vids, but I'm glad to see I'm not.

• I was actually very satisfied with the ending. I know a lot of people are sad to see Lee die but I couldn't bring myself to cry as long as Clementine was going to make it. I felt like Lee died happy knowing he saved Clementine and hopefully taught her what she needs to survive without him.

It's still sad that he wouldn't be there for her but I felt as long as Clementine was still alive I had hope for the world. That she could survive what she did and not turn into another monster like the stranger. That she could understand that horror of her situation but not give in to it, it felt very comforting.

That said I still feel like episode five was the weakest one. Don't get me wrong, I loved the ending and pretty much everything from the badass rampage to the Marsh House to the credits was great. It was a great conclusion to the story. But a lot of the surrounding elements leading up to those moments felt very weak and often rushed.

The stuff in the hospital felt too brief and the transition back to the manor seemed too quick. Like there should have been a small bit where you're in the streets trying to quietly snake your way back through walkers and the like. Build a little tension so when you get back, the boat being gone feels a little more powerful. Same thing for on the roof tops, where it seemed like there should have been another obstacle to cross and a little more conversation to make the eventual split more meaningful. Christa's pregnancy in particular never seems to be properly discussed despite being repeatedly mentioned and mostly confirmed.

Who came with you and the arm decision really felt weak. I know the decisions usually don't have a major impact, but for fuck's sake your friends could have at least been sitting the near the edge of the hospital ready to pull you up when you make your jump. Having both arms could have made the stranger fight more violent and the choking portion easier. The statue throwing thing felt incredibly forced and it would have made much more sense to me to just have the camera stay on Kenny as he gets more angry and you have the option to slug him if he ever pushes you too hard.

The reveal of Clementine's parents seemed a little too contrived. Apparently in their wedding vows they decided not even death would part them. I think it would have both made more sense and be more dramatic if you saw Clementine's dad as a walker as the hospital (most likely where he died). Then you have to decide to tell Clem or not at the Marsh House. Then on the way out you see Clem's mom in the street.

That way there could be some conversation options to help shape the reveal. Like at the Marsh House you could tell her that maybe her mom is still alive since you didn't hear her die only to find her a minute later. Or you don't tell Clem her dad's dead at the Marsh Hound and then when they get to the jewelery store Clem starts asking about her dad and you got to decide if you're going to pour on the bad news or not.

• My opinion:, (regardless of 20 pages of comments, sry couldn't read it all :D )
    So in the initial post you say, you're disappointed. In a certain way I am too, and that is, that the game doesn't give me the chance to choose who's more important to me: Lee (myself) or Clem (My daughter figure).

I really really wish, there was a point where you, the gamer, could decide whether you sacrifice yourself for her, or her for yourself.

Because I know, there is no way, I would sacrifice her, so Lee could live, that's the ending Telltale gave me, and that's why I'm mostly satisfied with the ending, but I know, there are many people out there, who think completly different, and I am kinda sad, that this great game doesn't give them the opportunity to do, what they want to, but it gives them an ending, that completly contradicts the way they would've wanted the story to end.

The ending would be just so much more emotional for those, who would've chosen to sacrifice themselves, because it was their decision, not a story line preset decision.

If you read this Telltalegames, first thing I want to say is: thanks for this great game, no... awesome game, not many games are as epic considering the emotional deepness and great story. But my humble wish for season 2 is:
    Please give us more alternate ways to determine the further story line, more decisions that actually change some things, and alternate endings.

In any way... I'm looking forward to season 2 :rolleyes:

Add Comment