User Avatar Image

If everyone is infected, why do zombie bites kill you?

posted by Siniistar on - last edited - Viewed by 2.9K users

This is a very common question, but i think its time we had a serious discussion about it

If everyone is in fact, already infected with the virus that causes reanimation, then what is it about a zombie's bite that kills you? is it the fact their flesh is so rotten that you get a bad bacteria infection and die? because antibiotics can fix that easily.

So if its not an infection, what is it? Surely there's no magical reason why you die(TWD doesn't deal in wizardry as far as i know).

I remember someone suggesting they give you a virus that attacks your immune system similar to a fast acting version of AIDS independent of the reanimation, but i think the writers said that it had nothing to do with a virus or something to that effect.

59 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I have a feeling its something extremely obvious that we're all over looking lol. I guess we'll have to wait to the end to really see for sure

• @JakeSt123 said: It's like an electronic thing that requires two batteries, I guess. One battery won't work without the other - the Infection won't work without the Bite, and possibly, the Bite won't work without the Infection.

Yeah Carley, one battery won't work without the other one....

• Everyone is already infected but its dormant until you die. When a Zombie bites you it gives you an active infection.

• liken the bite to the bacteria inside of a komodo dragons mouth

• @Siniistar said: if its just a virus(super duper bug : p) then eventually a vaccine will be found, as well as some people just possessing natural immunity, and idk if TWD is going to take that route at all

HIV has been going strong for decades with no vaccine. I think you overestimate how quickly we can create a vaccination. Immune cases (if any) were probably just ripped apart by the zombies and died that way.

• @marcu5 said: liken the bite to the bacteria inside of a komodo dragons mouth

I was thinking the same think, I almost wrote it myself, but when I looked it up I came across an article citing a study that showed it's actually a venom that the komodo dragon uses to kill its victims not bacteria.

• @Eric Northman said: I was thinking the same think, I almost wrote it myself, but when I looked it up I came across an article citing a study that showed it's actually a venom that the komodo dragon uses to kill its victims not bacteria.

the bacteria is still a big part of it's attack strategy

• @Eric Northman said: I was thinking the same think, I almost wrote it myself, but when I looked it up I came across an article citing a study that showed it's actually a venom that the komodo dragon uses to kill its victims not bacteria.

good info

but the point is still the same. there's no real science behind the zombie bite, but we're led to believe it's the lethal 'venom' in a zombie bite that kills you.

• Question -

If zombies biting you "accelerate" your infection.

Everybody is infected right?

What if non-zombie bit another non-zombie, and drew blood? Wouldn't that have the same effect?

• @Tyrant said: Question -

If zombies biting you "accelerate" your infection.

Everybody is infected right?

What if non-zombie bit another non-zombie, and drew blood? Wouldn't that have the same effect?

it doesn't accelerate it, mouths of living people are full of bacteria so if a person bites you, you would need antibiotics else you may develop sepsis because of your infected bite and you may die of blood poisoning and turn into a zombie, so its the same with zombies but i think the bacteria level in a zombies mouth is even more than a normal living human

Add Comment