User Avatar Image

If everyone is infected, why do zombie bites kill you?

posted by Siniistar on - last edited - Viewed by 2.9K users

This is a very common question, but i think its time we had a serious discussion about it

If everyone is in fact, already infected with the virus that causes reanimation, then what is it about a zombie's bite that kills you? is it the fact their flesh is so rotten that you get a bad bacteria infection and die? because antibiotics can fix that easily.

So if its not an infection, what is it? Surely there's no magical reason why you die(TWD doesn't deal in wizardry as far as i know).

I remember someone suggesting they give you a virus that attacks your immune system similar to a fast acting version of AIDS independent of the reanimation, but i think the writers said that it had nothing to do with a virus or something to that effect.

59 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • " I'll make it as simple as possible. The bite doesn't spread the virus. Everyone is already infected."

    yep. Obviously, yes you did. ¬_¬

  • If you get bit by a person you're garanteed to get an instant and sometimes fatal infection. That's real world. If someone on the street walks up and takes a chunk out of your arm with their teeth...you better go to the hospital and get a shot.

    Zombies carry a very active form of the virus(or whatever...the TV show describes it like a fast acting meningitis so it might be a form of bacteria and not a virus) plus they're rotting corpses so it's very likely that getting bit simply results in a very bad infection that is immune to antibiotics. How fast it kills depends on the person so...likely it depends on how healthy that person is at the time they're bit. Cutting off the limb if it's bitten before the infection spreads will save that person which is the same with heavily infected wounds in general. Lee's arm isn't cut off until after he passes out which means the infection has already spread beyond the arm. They didn't do it fast enough. Of course if the infection kills you, you turn because that's how it works in this universe. You turn no matter how you die.

  • User Avatar Image
    Gudmoore BANNED

    @rachellouise85 said: " I'll make it as simple as possible. The bite doesn't spread the virus. Everyone is already infected."

    yep. Obviously, yes you did. ¬_¬

    For one, you need to stop grasping at straws; you pulled out a miniscule piece of my post and claimed that is what the whole thing is about. If you would care to actually read more of the posts in this topic instead of playing white knight and trying to attack me you'll notice I was combating the "bite activates the dormant virus" theories.

    Secondly, I admit some of the words I used, like idiot, were inappropriate to the situation. Except lazy, I'm sticking with that one.

  • @Gudmoore said: For one, you need to stop grasping at straws; you pulled out a miniscule piece of my post and claimed that is what the whole thing is about. If you would care to actually read more of the posts in this topic instead of playing white knight and trying to attack me you'll notice I was combating the "bite activates the dormant virus" theories.

    Secondly, I admit some of the words I used, like idiot, were inappropriate to the situation. Except lazy, I'm sticking with that one.

    So how does the virus spread?

  • @Tyrant said: So how does the virus spread?

    everybody has the zombie virus but nobody knows why everybody has it, it's probably airborne but it doesn't matter because unless kirkman says otherwise everybody is infected and if you die you turn unless brain damage caused the death or happens before you turn, dems da rules

  • I know how it spreads, I was asking Gudmoore to see if he'll pop another blood vessel.

  • @Tyrant said: I know how it spreads, I was asking Gudmoore to see if he'll pop another blood vessel.

    well you used my troll blind spot, if you ask for help i don't see the trolling :D

  • Think about it this way, you have a virus of sorts in your body, but it's so small that your body can keep it at bay until one of two things happen: You die, causing the virus to have no trouble controlling the body with no fight against it, or the virus get tremendously boosted by a bite putting in more of it which allows it to overpower the body immune system and turn you.

  • @Pickles312 said: Think about it this way, you have a virus of sorts in your body, but it's so small that your body can keep it at bay until one of two things happen: You die, causing the virus to have no trouble controlling the body with no fight against it, or the virus get tremendously boosted by a bite putting in more of it which allows it to overpower the body immune system and turn you.

    no bites and the zombie virus are unrelated, but bites kill you and if you die you turn into a zombie unless brain damage caused the death or happens before you turn, dems da rules

  • It's a lot easier to explain when you stop saying "virus" and start thinking "magic".

Add Comment