User Avatar Image

3 weeks until 21/12/2012 or in usa case 12/21/2012

posted by donmike84 on - last edited - Viewed by 742 users

what do you think is gonna happen in 3 weeks when the mayan calendar expires or will life continue as normal

41 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Gman5852 said: Or rather "how could they have predicted the end if they couldn't predict another continent of people finding them".

They did. Sort of. They and the Aztecs both had predictions of the Spaniards arriving the year they did.

• Just thought of the murder rate too, I'm fearing this date for reasons beyond the end of the world...

• I think that the Mayan calendar will end. And that's about it.

• Am I the only one that never used that thing? Why should we care about their calendar?

• Well, the cool thing about the Mayans is that even without the technology, they were still able to have an incredibly accurate calendar, which points to having some sort of way of precisely measuring astronomical occurrences. That alone makes them pretty cool.

Now, they could have possibly predicted the end of the world if they had been able to somehow plot the trajectory of an asteroid and then predict what year that asteroid would hit the planet based on its trajectory. Of course, they're a few years off in that instance. There isn't a large enough astroid due to hit until 2018.

• That's the day of the Senior Christmas Formal. Unfortunately, I was not able to talk the party committee into a "Ho-Ho-Holy Shit It's The Apocalypse!" theme.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@donmike84 said: what do you think is gonna happen in 3 weeks when the mayan calendar expires or will life continue as normal

The Mayan calendar ends - or one of them does. Nothing in Mayan scripture actually says anything about the end of the world in 2012. And even if there WAS such an odd entry, these are still the guys who calculated the beginning of the earth to have been in 3114 BC, so let's just assume their scientific knowledge as well as their skill in prophecies is rather limited.

• @Vainamoinen said: The Mayan calendar ends - or one of them does. Nothing in Mayan scripture actually says anything about the end of the world in 2012. And even if there WAS such an odd entry, these are still the guys who calculated the beginning of the earth to have been in 3114 BC, so let's just assume their scientific knowledge as well as their skill in prophecies is rather limited.

Yeah, they completely cut out a good chunk of the Egyptian civilization with that date. And the Sumerians apparently just showed up with Adam with city-states, writing, and the wheel already all invented somehow. Maybe an angel gave it to them.

• Crap, I think Science has proven the world's end

1eQ5Cl3XvE60vXVfAYMjww2.jpg

Add Comment