User Avatar Image

In the even of zombie apocalypse, would the president nuke the country ?

posted by Typicaljacob on - last edited - Viewed by 1.5K users

So back in the cold war, we all made shelter right? so in the event of a zombie apocalypse wouldnt the president ( or any other vip and government officials along with military) hole up in a shelter and try to quarantine out/in the walkers with nukes? something i wondered

68 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Probably just major citys tho if the infecion every got nation wide I don't see how it would help.

  • there aren't enough nukes on the planet to wipe out every human, let alone every zombie, so it would just be pointless

  • Well,like I said,it's highly unlikely the WD ZA was caused by a single outbreak,accidental or otherwise. Which would mean multiple outbreak points all over the country,hitting most of the major cities with at least 70% coverage in each city to make this kind of situation possible.

    Essentially,you must remember that the walkers aren't much of a threat on their own,they require overwhelming numbers to be a problem. As such,you'd need a LOT of people become zombies at the get go as even a group of zombies isn't going to survive their encounter with the first beat cop with a gun they come across. Therefore,a single outbreak producing these kinds of zombies wouldn't be able to create an army big enough to do the job.

    I mean,we've seen a guy with a crossbow kill a small group of zombies all by himself. Imagine what it'd be like to have an assault rifle or a tank. There's no way the zombies are beating that. I just watched a kid with a gun pop 2 of them in the head. You gonna actually sit there and tell me a trained soldier with grenades,a rifle,and a pistol just couldn't handle them? The only logical solution is someone was causing this to happen and helping the zombies by deliberately infecting people. Especially in the case of the tank. What,are the zombies gonna chew their way through tank armor? I doubt it.

    So,with that in mind,with multiple outbreaks all over the nation covering most of the major cities all at once,the nuclear option quickly goes off the table. It's pretty much pointless. Any survivors will be killed and the blast probably won't get all the zombies and if they can resist radiation,you've just cut off valuable territory you could've retaken. And that's assuming they didn't hit the military bases that launch the nukes first. The whole thing pretty much requires there be some shadowy organization behind the outbreaks with a motive for destroying most of the US,if they even stopped with the US. Since there's no foreign aid coming in,it's pretty safe to assume other nations were hit too. At least the first world ones.

    But to put it simply,if the government was going to use nukes,they'd have already done so. Since they haven't,it's pretty much a given the outbreaks happened all at once in multiple places and using them would be pointless.

  • It could take out zombies in the blast radius but zombies wouldn't be hurt by things like fallout or radiation.. Plus people who died from those things would just become more zombies... The cons would probably be more than the pros..

  • Irradiated zombies wandering all over the place and fallout everywhere. You don't set your house on fire because you have cockroaches.

  • @Irishmile said: It could take out zombies in the blast radius but zombies wouldn't be hurt by things like fallout or radiation.. Plus people who died from those things would just become more zombies... The cons would probably be more than the pros..

    Yeah but, when has the government really thought about what they're doing ever since Nixon?

  • If it would be like in the Walking Dead universe, it would happen all over the world at the same time that there would be masses of zombies around every cemetery and hospital and some smaller zombie groups all over the world because of accidents etc. -> Zombies are everywhere -> nukes won't help alot, even if they are without radiation. Anyway during a Walking Dead-universe like outbreak the military of most countries should be able to stop it if nobody helps the zombies I think. To talk about the question itself again: I don't think that American or European countries would do such radical things like killing everyone, that would be more the way countries like China would handle it. At least, they wouldn't do it at the beginning of the outbreak but only at the beginning there can be chances to stop it..

  • @Merlynn said: Well,like I said,it's highly unlikely the WD ZA was caused by a single outbreak,accidental or otherwise. Which would mean multiple outbreak points all over the country,hitting most of the major cities with at least 70% coverage in each city to make this kind of situation possible.

    Essentially,you must remember that the walkers aren't much of a threat on their own,they require overwhelming numbers to be a problem. As such,you'd need a LOT of people become zombies at the get go as even a group of zombies isn't going to survive their encounter with the first beat cop with a gun they come across. Therefore,a single outbreak producing these kinds of zombies wouldn't be able to create an army big enough to do the job.

    I mean,we've seen a guy with a crossbow kill a small group of zombies all by himself. Imagine what it'd be like to have an assault rifle or a tank. There's no way the zombies are beating that. I just watched a kid with a gun pop 2 of them in the head. You gonna actually sit there and tell me a trained soldier with grenades,a rifle,and a pistol just couldn't handle them? The only logical solution is someone was causing this to happen and helping the zombies by deliberately infecting people. Especially in the case of the tank. What,are the zombies gonna chew their way through tank armor? I doubt it.

    So,with that in mind,with multiple outbreaks all over the nation covering most of the major cities all at once,the nuclear option quickly goes off the table. It's pretty much pointless. Any survivors will be killed and the blast probably won't get all the zombies and if they can resist radiation,you've just cut off valuable territory you could've retaken. And that's assuming they didn't hit the military bases that launch the nukes first. The whole thing pretty much requires there be some shadowy organization behind the outbreaks with a motive for destroying most of the US,if they even stopped with the US. Since there's no foreign aid coming in,it's pretty safe to assume other nations were hit too. At least the first world ones.

    But to put it simply,if the government was going to use nukes,they'd have already done so. Since they haven't,it's pretty much a given the outbreaks happened all at once in multiple places and using them would be pointless.


    hahaha bury my topic in words :p but on the contrary, we did see a tank (which i still dont get how to the tank crews didnt make it) and an entire basecamp defending the CDC got overrun in the show in season 1. and im assuming you watched the new episode when carl goes alone and finds the new group? but carl and most of the survivors have been against the walkers for months at this point. They are trained at this point, they dont freeze up and take immediate action when taking care of walkers. Im talking in a time period between the initial outbreak and little after it, to the point that nuking cities to kill off ALOT of walkers surrounding the VIP's location is an option. Not three months after the outbreak. and does anyone know if vaccum bombs can only be deployed by aircraft? also, how do you know that the VIP's are gonna care about the other survivors? what if they dont want other survivors to come to their location? Most likely, the people who make the executive decision are not gonna want to spend more limited supplies to more people in order to re-ensure the survival of the VIP's ( this is only worst case scenario, i hope people arent like this!)

  • @Panzer89 said: Irradiated zombies wandering all over the place and fallout everywhere. You don't set your house on fire because you have cockroaches.

    haha i didnt literally mean nuke the location on top of them. just surrounding them. and i know its a different universe, but it didnt stop the umbrella corporation from nuking a major city that had huge walls surrounding it. granted, umbrella corporations was composed of alot of messed of folks but hey, they nuked it. and i assume it was done with executive decison.

  • @thestalkinghead said: there aren't enough nukes on the planet to wipe out every human, let alone every zombie, so it would just be pointless

    I'm pretty sure that's wrong. The U.S. has thousands of Nukes, and Russia has more, China has around the same amount. I'm pretty sure we have enough to wipe out all humans.

Add Comment