User Avatar Image

[SPOILERS]The Walking Dead episode 5 and entire game REVIEW thread

posted by Vainamoinen on - last edited - Viewed by 6.2K users

Yup, this is it. Post your long and short, detailed or general, random or specific thoughts about the last episode and concluding thoughts about the Season right here.

No spoiler tags necessary, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU'VE PLAYED THE EPISODES!!!

(poll rates the whole game, not just episode 5)

278 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Hassat Hunter said:

EDIT:
    Due to the wording of the poll options, a 6 from me...

Took quite a while making that wording up. ;)

Numbers are a bit unfit to really judge a game with, even more so considering that there seldom is a game that doesn't get more than 75% by all those gamezines out there. So the 'identifiers' up there are actually the definition of the numbers. But things are going REALLY well for the game in that poll, aren't they?!?

• Voted a 7. Deducted 2 points for aggravation regarding downloading episodes and getting the game to work. Probably would've rated a 1 had I ever lost my saves after episode 1.

It really was a great game. As I have suggested, I'd love to see options in the episodes where you could A) Defend at camp or B) Scout for food. Different people go with you and different stuff happens. Would give more replay value.

I'd also like to see more "disposable" characters. Like if you have 5 to start with and 1 dies a chapter, but it really doesn't matter who. So in chapter 5, first player could have character A with them while second player could have character E with them. (This of course does not include "main" characters like Kenny that is essential to the story)

Also a little extra on the action and difficulty would be nice.

• 82399917.gif

I really liked TWD. It had its ups and downs, but overall it was pretty good.

• hmmm... overall a solid 7 from me.

sometimes the main character was a bit too dumb... like when he got bitten.

• I am happy with the season finale because most of the games main characters catch a disease or are close to dying and survive in the end. It's just predictable. But I see Telltale took some notes and made the ending so much unique. I totally have not excepted that and that makes me one of the biggest fan of the series (even though I haven't watched the TV series and read any of the comics). Really Telltale, Well Done. R.I.P. Lee Everett :(

• A 7 for me. If you had really been able to determine your own path through the story, it would've shot up, possibly even to 10.

• I really liked the game at times but nearing the end i couldn't help but feel like i was just a puppet led to believe i had control over what could happen in this game. As it turns out i had zero control and what happened to Kenny and Lee was going to happen no matter what.

I just don't get playing a game like this if the end is decided for you.
    When i first started playing i was really excited and thought what i chose mattered but really it didn't. All i was choosing was one of two roads that led to the same destination.

It's like a choose your own adventure but with each characters ultimate survival already set in stone. I prefer games that give me the chance to decide a characters fate. If i wanted something set in stone i'd just watch the tv series.
    I think i'll do that anyhow. No way will i get sucked into a sequel to the game.

Forgive me if my review offends you. Remember it's just my opinion and you know the story about everyone having one of those right?
    Peace everyone! :)

• @MaxEvans77 said: I really liked the game at times but nearing the end i couldn't help but feel like i was just a puppet led to believe i had control over what could happen in this game. As it turns out i had zero control and what happened to Kenny and Lee was going to happen no matter what.

I just don't get playing a game like this if the end is decided for you.
    When i first started playing i was really excited and thought what i chose mattered but really it didn't. All i was choosing was one of two roads that led to the same destination.

It's like a choose your own adventure but with each characters ultimate survival already set in stone. I prefer games that give me the chance to decide a characters fate. If i wanted something set in stone i'd just watch the tv series.
    I think i'll do that anyhow. No way will i get sucked into a sequel to the game.

Forgive me if my review offends you. Remember it's just my opinion and you know the story about everyone having one of those right?
    Peace everyone! :)

Your choices do matter. :)
    The game is "Tailored".Which dosen't mean that you get story-branching.The choices you are making don't seem to impact you at first,but every single thing you said or done the game remembers and you develop a different relationship with characters and different dialog options.Lets say there is a shirt beign "Tailored" for you.You will get shorter or longer sleeves,but you won't get a third sleeve. :P ;)
    I don't know what you ment by "A game that give me a chance to control a character's fate".You can choose to either save Doug or Carley,which is one of the most important decisions in the game.You can spare or kill the St.John's,which will change the way characters are looking to you.You can have Molly die or live depending if you brought Clem with you to Crawford or not (and depending how good you are with guns),you can drop Ben or pull him up,which again changes the way fifth episode goes. ;-) And about the ending,alright,Lee dies,but you can either have him die as a human,or let him turn into a walker. :) Theres a lot of small stuff your choices change. :-)

• 10/10

Amazing game and powerful storyline..

Nuff-said.gif

• @Araron said: Your choices do matter. :)
    The game is "Tailored".Which dosen't mean that you get story-branching.

If you acknowledge that the game's choices do not branch out to any significant extent then it could be very well argued that they are likely to not 'matter' at all to some people.

The word 'tailored' is used pretty ambiguously here; people are allowed to understand it differently and not necessarily be wrong. Though to be honest, I'd strongly encourage some fans here to look up the Wikipedia article on 'Weasel word(s)', since the way it is used as a defense of the game by fans (not Telltale) seems to be very consistent with the article's description of the term:

A weasel word (also, anonymous authority) may be an informal term[1] for equivocating words and phrases aimed at creating an impression that something specific and meaningful has been said, when in fact only a vague or ambiguous claim, or even a refutation has been communicated.

For example, an advertisement may use a weasel phrase such as "up to 50% off on all products". This is misleading because the audience is invited to imagine many items reduced by the proclaimed 50%, but the words taken literally mean only that no discount will exceed 50%, and in extreme misrepresentation, the advertiser need not reduce any prices, which would still be consistent with the wording of the advertisement, since "up to 50" most literally means "any number from 0 to 50 inclusive".

Another example is a letter of recommendation where the letter writer states "I cannot recommend this person highly enough", which would ordinarily be taken to mean that an amount of recommendation is sufficient to communicate the high stature of recommendation, while at the same time it could literally mean that there is no recommendation at all.

Just sayin'.

Add Comment