User Avatar Image

The ZA and pets [warning]

posted by xwmstormx on - last edited - Viewed by 598 users

This topic could get very dark for some regarding our pets during an actual Zombie Apocalypse. I advise some not to read it.

The non dark part:
I wanted to start off with the fact that a huge majority of humanity has some kind of pet. Dog, Cat, hamster, fish. Whatever it may be. Now, I'm not going to focus on the lesser pets such as hamsters or fish or what can be considered the less noise producing pets.

Instead, this is going to focus on the louder pets such as dogs, cats.

From what is known, when it comes down to a ZA one of the survival aspects is to draw as little attention to yourself as possible. Which means you should not make noise as we all know that Zombies will follow a noise for miles out of instinct. (note the horde following the train in ep4)

With that in mind I have no doubt that a lot of the louder pets, mainly dogs and cats would attract a LOT of attention!

Cats:
While cats can run they can't defend themselves. They can try by hissing, or scratching or biting.. But that wouldn't deter a hungry Zombie so the cat just became dinner. In a family atmosphere they can be relatively quiet they still will be a drain on resources over time. Like many animals it doesn't take long for a house cat to become a feral cat when they are pushed into it. Some cats do like to meow or cry now and then so those types are dangerous to have around in the ZA.

Dogs:
These animals are the louder yet more protective of the two. Dogs in a protective mode against a human can overcome most and get away or hurt their attacker enough to deter them. Unfortunately a Zombie does not have the same fight or flight triggers as a normal human being. So while the dog may attack it will be putting itself in danger to being killed and eaten since the dog can't do enough damage to a Zombie to deter it from it's meal. In my opinion, dogs are the first species to be killed off.

So here we are in the Dark part:
You have a dog or a cat that make a lot of noise. It could easily encourage a Zombie horde to you and your family by barking or chasing after them and then running back to the home leading them to your family.

What is done with the pets we love? Do you kill them off in the beginning if they get loud or do you just let them bark and give away your position. Granted a lot of pets can be trained to not bark or make noise but a good portion of them are not so well trained.

I have to admit that I have a very loud dog. She just doesn't listen when she is told to be quiet. A person can walk down the street and she is barking at them. She barks at everything even if there is nothing to bark at. I have to admit here and now and say that my beloved pet would have to be killed in order to protect my family for either to prevent them from attracting Zombies to my home or to provide as an emergency food source for my family.

So there en-lies the question. What do you do with your loud pets? Do you kill them off, do you spare them, do you eat them, what do you do when your family is in danger due to the pet simply giving away your position?

103 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @xwmstormx said: While cats can run they can't defend themselves. They can try by hissing, or scratching or biting.. But that wouldn't deter a hungry Zombie so the cat just became dinner.

This is spoken like a person who has never tried to actually catch a cat that doesn't want to be caught. You literally have to trap that cat in an inescapable trap...and really, what zombie is going to be able to calculate that? So what you have is a cat hiding in impossibly tight spaces and places that a human could never get to without a LOT of effort, let alone a zombie. I think cats are better equipped for the ZA than we are, to be honest.

• @Noname215 said: Ever seen I Am Legend?

Ever see a walker ignite in the sunlight...or care what time of day/night it is?

Vampire knock-offs do not Zombies make.

• @Myorderedconfusion said: Have you ever had a animal that was sick and truly suffering? Have you cared for it for months as it was unable to stand? Have you held them as they went through seizures and refused water? Have you not had the money (not unwilling but don't actually have the cash) to pay thousands of dollars for surgery that may or may not work? When the dog is going to be eaten or going to starve to death as it stays by your side would you watch it suffer? Sometimes the selfish answer hurts them more than accepting the pain and guilt.

I don't think I mentioned anything about ending the suffering of my dog if they were dying/sick/trapped beyond help. I've been there, and it's something I wish we could do for humans we love.

But again, killing my dog because they might make noise and endanger me (while only - unknowingly - trying to protect me) or eating them to save my butt? Absolutely not.

• Dogs and Cats are not effected by zombie bites or the infection. A big dog would be a good weapon in the apocalypse.

• @Robbingrobin said: Dogs and Cats are not effected by zombie bites or the infection. A big dog would be a good weapon in the apocalypse.

Keep in mind that the zombies are pretty strong and can rip up a person's stomach pretty fast...

• @plaqueconspiracy said: Keep in mind that the zombies are pretty strong and can rip up a person's stomach pretty fast...

but they are SLOOOOOW...and you ever tried to catch a dog that didn't want to be caught?

• @HelloCthulhu said: but they are SLOOOOOW...and you ever tried to catch a dog that didn't want to be caught?

This. Plus, even littler dogs can rip fingers of.

• I don't see any reason to bring cats along other than to eat them. i could picture bringing a dog along as it might be useful(better hearing, smell ect he could warm you for incoming zed and he'd be good company ). if i was starving i would kill and eat my pets in an instant, i would not think twice about it. as for killing it for the noise, i'd first try to shut it up and if that wouldn't work i would probably kill it especially if it meant saving my family. i love my pets but they're not my family and anyone who think pets see you as their family are out of his mind. also i would choose the life of any random stranger over that of my pet.

• @mutantfish said: I don't see any reason to bring cats along other than to eat them. i could picture bringing a dog along as it might be useful(better hearing, smell ect he could warm you for incoming zed and he'd be good company ). if i was starving i would kill and eat my pets in an instant, i would not think twice about it. as for killing it for the noise, i'd first try to shut it up and if that wouldn't work i would probably kill it especially if it meant saving my family. i love my pets but they're not my family and anyone who think pets see you as their family are out of his mind. also i would choose the life of any random stranger over that of my pet.

God, I am a terrible person, if I take this serious.

• @Maggard said: Ever see a walker ignite in the sunlight...or care what time of day/night it is?

Vampire knock-offs do not Zombies make.

Actually, I was referring to the scene where Will Smith kills his German Shepherd.

Add Comment