User Avatar Image

Race in TWD universe

posted by marcu5 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.6K users

the finale was just more evidence that TWD is a racist franchise

271 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • there wouldn't even be a conversation about racism if the white guys died over and over and were replaced by other white guys.
    T-dog made it through a lot, and that oscar was clearly the least important to the story of the group that went on the raid but he did have an impact while he was around, now we have tyrese and he is a badass.

i should be complaining because its an English guy playing the bad guy again (american in the show but English in real life) but i guess we have the "good guy" to counter that so it's fine

• I hate every change this series makes. First of all, yes the one black man rule is total bullshit and should disgust anyone watching. I don't so much mind if these stereotype characters give way to Tyreese - a solidly developed character.

Second - and worst of all the changes - the Governor is way too likeable. In the comic, he invited Rick in and said "We keep walkers happy. We feed them strangers." Then he cuts off Rick's hand. After that, he rapes Michonne, makes out with his zombie kid, and launches a war. Instead, we get this sweet guy who really hasn't done a single bad thing. Whereas before he raped Michonne, now he just politely asked Maggie to take off her shirt and lost interest. If the show wasn't going to depict rape in the slightest (something I'm also against), why bring it up at all? Have him punch Glenn or kill Daryl. Something solid to establish him as a despicable character.

Instead we have two Rick's pitted against each other. That's interesting - but why would he have to have sorta-raped someone?

• @Master of Aeons said: I hate every change this series makes. First of all, yes the one black man rule is total bullshit and should disgust anyone watching. I don't so much mind if these stereotype characters give way to Tyreese - a solidly developed character.

Second - and worst of all the changes - the Governor is way too likeable. In the comic, he invited Rick in and said "We keep walkers happy. We feed them strangers." Then he cuts off Rick's hand. After that, he rapes Michonne, makes out with his zombie kid, and launches a war. Instead, we get this sweet guy who really hasn't done a single bad thing. Whereas before he raped Michonne, now he just politely asked Maggie to take off her shirt and lost interest. If the show wasn't going to depict rape in the slightest (something I'm also against), why bring it up at all? Have him punch Glenn or kill Daryl. Something solid to establish him as a despicable character.

Instead we have two Rick's pitted against each other. That's interesting - but why would he have to have sorta-raped someone?

i almost forgot he got people to try and kill Michonne and that he killed those soldiers, but not as bad as the comic, i think it was mainly him raping Michonne that made him so evil, the rest just fit because of that , if Michonne had the time to do what she did in the comics to him she would have been way over the top and crazy

• @HelloCthulhu said: skgDg.png
    Yea her parents look SO white.:rolleyes:

And a screw is not a nail.

who said anything about her parents?

and who said anything about screws?

• @thestalkinghead said: there wouldn't even be a conversation about racism if the white guys died over and over and were replaced by other white guys.
    T-dog made it through a lot, and that oscar was clearly the least important to the story of the group that went on the raid but he did have an impact while he was around, now we have tyrese and he is a badass.

i should be complaining because its an English guy playing the bad guy again (american in the show but English in real life) but i guess we have the "good guy" to counter that so it's fine

what kind of idiotic logic is this? the show is predominately white

• @marcu5 said: what kind of idiotic logic is this? the show is predominately white

what i mean is that just because oscar happened to be black it doesn't mean there is some kind of racist conspiracy to constantly kill the black characters

• @StanleyStutters said: Shane was the example of them killing off a major/popular character, Sophia and Lori were examples of the show going in a darker direction (although I guess Lori could be counted as a major character). It's rare for any show to kill a child especially like that and I don't think any show has had a child have to kill their own mother.

Actually, killing shane was...well following the comics...he just was around for much longer...as was Lori dying. Sophia dying marks a huge deviation from the comics.

@StanleyStutters said: what i mean is that just because oscar happened to be black it doesn't mean there is some kind of racist conspiracy to constantly kill the black characters

This. Especially when you count the number of white guys that have died in rick's group.

• @thestalkinghead said: what i mean is that just because oscar happened to be black it doesn't mean there is some kind of racist conspiracy to constantly kill the black characters

yea, i know. it's like highlander. there can only be one (black guy):rolleyes:

• TWD makes sure all black guys get the short end of the stick. just ask Lee

• @marcu5 said: TWD makes sure all white guys get the short end of the stick. just ask Ben

See how easy that is to turn around?:)

This discussion has been closed.