User Avatar Image

Rate The Last Movie(s) You Watched

posted by Secret Fawful on - last edited - Viewed by 18.6K users

Same as the Rate the Last Game You Finished topic but with movies. There should be more film talk around here. So, I'll start off with the movies I've seen in the past few days.

Law-Abiding Citizen - 5.5/11

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World - 7/11

Sword of the Stranger - 9/11

Blade Runner: Final Cut - 11/11

Blade Runner is one of those films I want to love but also want to hate.

1.8K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @looby said: Back to the Future 8.5/10 - it was on telly tonight. I think I saw it once when I was little but to be honest, everything I'd remembered about it was what I'd seen on Family Guy...

I thought I might as well watch it because I'm looking at getting the game and it would probably help to remember the films.

If you haven't watched the movies at least a gazillion times and are absolutely starved for more Back to the Future, you probably won't enjoy the "game". Not trying to start something again here, but you're pretty new around here, and it might be a good idea to look into what people are saying about it before spending any money on it.

• @flesk said: If you haven't watched the movies at least a gazillion times and are absolutely starved for more Back to the Future, you probably won't enjoy the "game". Not trying to start something again here, but you're pretty new around here, and it might be a good idea to look into what people are saying about it before spending any money on it.

Oh ok, will do! Looking at the BttF forum on here probably would help but for some reason it never occured to me before -_-

• BTTF:The Game isn't terrible. It's just really easy and a bit buggy in places.

For a BTTF fan, it's a good buy. For an old-school adventure gamer, it's decent if bought when on sale.

Now, Jurassic Park:The Game... Don't get that.

• I was expecting Pan's Labyrinth to be a cheesy Mexican movie, but WOW. The movie's story, acting and characters were all top-notch. One of the best movies I've seen in years. 9/10

• Citizen Kane 7/10
    To be fair my opinion on it might change once I've seen the bonus material and the audio commentary on it but from a today's point of view it is still an impressive film. My problems with it lie more in the first few minutes of the movie which no one would leave in a movie nowadays. It's mostly stuff we will see in the rest of the movie again.
    The movie itself is almost episodic and, again, some scenes are shown several times but told from a different point of view.
    To be honest the way it's all put together reminds me a lot of Pulp Fiction. And that's kinda great but well. Tarantino did it differently. Not saying better. Different.

Also I'm a little unhappy about the fact that the audio commentary I want is not on the DVD I bought and most likely exclusive to the US version of the DVD which I cannot play.

• RoboCop – 10/10

After I read some information about the upcoming RoboCop reboot I felt nostalgic and wanted to re-watch the 1987 version again, and it really holds its own really well so many years after.

I can with confidence say I can find nothing wrong with this movie at all. The acting is top notch, you can see all the practice Peter Weller put into his robotic movements really pays of, and it’s really believable making you think it’s an actual robot/cyborg and not just a guy in a suit.
    The story is delivered really well; man gets turned into robot that becomes more human as he delves into his past life. This is neatly emphasized when you listen to his voice; it sounds really robotic with a hollow undertone, then changes completely to human near the end.
    I find the movies representation of the future really charming as you can clearly see elements from the 80’s in it, women with huge glasses and colourful clothing, huge old fashioned televisions to tape-reel-recorders.

I don’t know that if liking the old one so much, I will set myself up to a huge disappointment when the reboot comes out. Don’t get me wrong I can’t wait to see what José Padilha will do with Paul Verhoeven’s classic and how Joel Kinnaman will act out the role as RoboCop. The only negatives are the change in his style, the new Robo Bat Cop Man look doesn't really appeal. He is no longer that knight in shining armour, but black and stealthy with some transformers mixed in (yea like a combat mode thing). And no more robotic moves as the new RoboCop have to be more “human”.
    The movie will not see the light until 2014 so it can still change I guess, so I will just wait and see what is going to happen. And if worse comes to worse, the old one is still awesome. :)

That’s it. I hate James Cameron’s movies. The Academy might have liked this movie for it’s special effects, but if you overlook that, you find 3 hours worth of excremental dialogue and what doesn’t even come close to being considered good acting.

Not to bash Sam Worthington and Sigourney Weaver, no, but this movie just sucks. And what made it suck for me was Zoe Saldana. Ugly blue cat bitch.

• In Time 7/10

I liked that it wasn't another Hollywood remake, but something more original. The idea of "time is money" taken to extreme was interesting. The acting was alright and it looked good. Overall, the kind of movie I'd watch again if it came on T.V., but I wouldn't run out and buy a copy.

And as far as Noname's feelings for Avatar? I sat through 20 minutes and was bored to death and turned it off. I don't know how he made it through the whole thing.

• RoboCop 2 - 6/10

Even though it's not as good as the first one, it's still a worthy sequel.
    It was not really as story driven as the first one, as that one was about internal battle. The second one is just your average outside forces to fight with.
    It didn't take itself quite as serious as there was plenty of lol moments.

It was the last RoboCop movie to star Peter Weller, but he did stop at the top as the rest is not worthy of his talents.

RoboCop 3 - 4/10

I am not really sure what to think about this one, some part of me like it and some part of me don't.
    It still follows the same recipe as the first two ones did, but it did kind of lose its charm and the PG-13 rating did not do it justice.

Robert John Burke had to take over the role, but that don't bother me as he did an amazing job. And even though the suit was hard to fill after Peter Wellers awesome performance, Robert had studied hard to mimic all of his movements to a T.

But I must admit that even thought it was called RoboCop 3, he was not really that present in the movie as he spent most of his time off screen or offline.
    And most of his battles was kind of meh, as he just got kicked around like a tin can. And it really started to lose its seriousness when the jet pack was introduced, not that it had a lot of seriousness it to begin with.

• RoboCop Prime Directives - 6/10

This movie was split into 4 parts each lasting about 90 minutes each.
    The episodes was entitled, Dark Justice, Meltdown, Resurrection and Cash and Burn.
    The story takes place 10 years after the original RoboCop completely ignoring 2 and 3. Delta City has finally been build but OCP is on the verge of total financial collapse. Robo has spent all the 10 years keeping the town safe, but is now almost rendered completely obsolete.

This movie was made by a small company in Canada and was made on a very low budget. All of this can be seen as the acting was not Hollywood blockbuster and the special effects was really corny. You could also see they had no money to get really good make up artists. They did however get robo suits from the original creator Rob Bottin. The main role of RoboCop went to Page Fletcher, I will admit he was not the best choice as he is only 5 feet tall making Robo look like a midget.

The story starts out really dark and angsty but does a complete 180 half way through making it a cheap sci-fi with a maniac villain with a killer virus.

They went away from the PG13 and made it really gory and bloody as the first movie, and this can be seen as people get their hands blown of, and heads smashed in with a sledgehammer. But they spent to much of the money in drawn out action sequences that was not really that spectacular, as it was just people running around shooting at robo while he stood completely still taking them down one by one, or breaking though glass.

I do think it had it's own kind of charm though if you completely forget about the first movies and keep this as a movie all it's own. If they have had more funding I am sure they could have done better, I personally think they did ok considering what they had to work with.
    But it is of course a given that it would be no way near as good as the original, no movie ever can.

Add Comment