User Avatar Image

The purchase of LucasArts: how will it affect Sam and Max?

posted by lattsam on - last edited - Viewed by 822 users

It's still too early to tell, but I am pretty sure that Disney might do something good with the Sam and Max games LucasArts has.

I mean, when you think about it...

1. The creator of Sam and Max DOES work for Pixar, after all.

and 2. Bill Farmer, who voices Sam in those games, is a Disney Legend! In other words, the voice of Goofy!

And while some people say that Sam and Max Hit the Road might not be a good fit for Disney, think about it... it might qualify as family-friendly. There may be some swearing in it, but it's pretty tame. Plus Sam and Max don't have their guns with them!

The purchase woke a lot of us up... but it might be a good way to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Sam and Max, even more than the discount on the current games!

What do you think?

23 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • There is still the problem that neither LucasArts or Disney own the rights to the characters they belong to Steve.

• If you mean it affects TTG's S&M games then your wrong as Steve is the one with the rights to S&M. Only way Lucasarts being sold to Disney affecting S&M could be that if we are lucky they will let Telltale or someone else make a S&M Hit The Road HD Special Edition or Telltale could try and get the rights to S&M Freelance Police.

• @Sausy Gibbon said: There is still the problem that neither LucasArts or Disney own the rights to the characters they belong to Steve.

Exactly this. Even though Disney owns LucasArts, Lucasarts's contract with Steve ended quite some time ago. They can't make Sam and Max games without asking Steve Purcell himself.

• Despite loving HtR as a child, I have to say I prefer TTG's characterisations and voice actors for Sam & Max. And yes, as others have pointed out LucasArts (and therefore Disney) don't own Sam & Max.

• I think the the ONLY problem it could make is if Disney makes a deal with Steve to do something with S&M and wanted exclusive rights... But he has worked with them for a while now and if that was going to happen I think it would have already...

I am not too worried about it.. but you never know what the future will bring.. I NEVER thought Uncle George would go and sell his life's work.. and here we are.

• It's conceivable that Hit the Road" might get re-released, but that's unlikely to be a direct effect of Disney's purchase so much as something that might have happened anyway. "Freelance Police" won't get finished, though, and there's no reason to think that Disney will be any more interested in a franchise they don't own than anybody else.

• @FitzoliverJ said: It's conceivable that Hit the Road" might get re-released, but that's unlikely to be a direct effect of Disney's purchase so much as something that might have happened anyway. "Freelance Police" won't get finished, though, and there's no reason to think that Disney will be any more interested in a franchise they don't own than anybody else.

How do you know for sure that Freelance Police won't be finished?

• @lattsam said: How do you know for sure that Freelance Police won't be finished?

Nobody can know that, but if one were to take an educated guess...

How many canceled games do you know of that managed to come out 8+ years later?

• @Scnew said: Nobody can know that, but if one were to take an educated guess...

How many canceled games do you know of that managed to come out 8+ years later?

914622_47502_front.jpg

• Okay, now how many games do you know of that were cancelled and DIDN'T manage to come out 8+ years later? Or how many that were canceled, had multiple other sequels in the meantime, and then came out?

Does anyone that was working on Freelance Police even still work for Lucasarts?

Anyway, if LA was going to get back into adventures you can bet they'd test the waters with Monkey Island, a more popular franchise that they actually own, first.

Add Comment