User Avatar Image

If everyone is infected, why do zombie bites kill you?

posted by Siniistar on - last edited - Viewed by 2.9K users

This is a very common question, but i think its time we had a serious discussion about it

If everyone is in fact, already infected with the virus that causes reanimation, then what is it about a zombie's bite that kills you? is it the fact their flesh is so rotten that you get a bad bacteria infection and die? because antibiotics can fix that easily.

So if its not an infection, what is it? Surely there's no magical reason why you die(TWD doesn't deal in wizardry as far as i know).

I remember someone suggesting they give you a virus that attacks your immune system similar to a fast acting version of AIDS independent of the reanimation, but i think the writers said that it had nothing to do with a virus or something to that effect.

59 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • It's a lot easier to explain when you stop saying "virus" and start thinking "magic".

• @Master of Aeons said: It's a lot easier to explain when you stop saying "virus" and start thinking "magic".

the zombie magic is in everybody it is only death that releases its potential, their bites are imbued with a permanent death hex that always does critical damage and blocks healing

• @Vainamoinen said: Sorry for those multiple Teal posts. The forum automoderation feature had confiscated these posts upon posting (possibly decided they were too long), so Teal probably thought they were lost and wrote them again in slightly different form. I approved these posts just some hours ago, so they all popped up right now.

There's no spamming going on here. :)

Sorry about the long posts, i thought i might have something, but looks like others already thought of it, and i forgot about not being bit, which sorta voided my theory. Anyway, sorry for the long posts.
    :(

• @thestalkinghead said: no bites and the zombie virus are unrelated, but bites kill you and if you die you turn into a zombie unless brain damage caused the death or happens before you turn, dems da rules

What Pickles said
    :)
    -Teal

• @thestalkinghead said: everybody has the zombie virus but nobody knows why everybody has it, it's probably airborne but it doesn't matter because unless kirkman says otherwise everybody is infected and if you die you turn unless brain damage caused the death or happens before you turn, dems da rules

I'd say the culprit lies in the intestinal bactarias - we have up to about 1000 SPECIES of bacteria on our guts (and poo consists of about 60% bacteria, which is a pretty good indicator that you shouldn't reuse what you have eaten). Any of these are very happy to take over our body when we die and don't have an immune system to keep them in check.

So in a zombie apocalypse: a bite will kill but not turn you because of the infection (think of the infection as a very potent ebola or something). After a person dies, either from the bite infection, hanging or whatever, the intestinal virus makes jumps of joy and takes over the body via the nervous system - which is easily accessible.

• @Warge said: I'd say the culprit lies in the intestinal bactarias - we have up to about 1000 SPECIES of bacteria on our guts (and poo consists of about 60% bacteria, which is a pretty good indicator that you shouldn't reuse what you have eaten). Any of these are very happy to take over our body when we die and don't have an immune system to keep them in check.

So in a zombie apocalypse: a bite will kill but not turn you because of the infection (think of the infection as a very potent ebola or something). After a person dies, either from the bite infection, hanging or whatever, the intestinal virus makes jumps of joy and takes over the body via the nervous system - which is easily accessible.

i dont know if i understand what you are saying, but i think you are saying that the zombie "virus" (or whatever it would be classified as) lives in the infected's (everybody) intestines

• I'm pretty sure kirkman didn't make his zombie virus bacteria in our crap.

• @thestalkinghead said: i dont know if i understand what you are saying, but i think you are saying that the zombie "virus" (or whatever it would be classified as) lives in the infected's (everybody) intestines

Pretty correct - if it is a virus, it could actually live dormant in the intestines bacterias.

• @Warge said: Pretty correct - if it is a virus, it could actually live dormant in the intestines bacterias.

maybe but its more likely in the brain because what if you were killed by having your lower torso removed? from what i have heard you would still turn, but we don't even know its a virus, we just call it "virus" and "the infected" because that is just easy to understand, but it could be some kind of parasite it could be nanites it could be an alien organism or an prehistoric earth based organism that had been frozen and dug up by scientists from the Antarctic or the deep seabed that is unclassifiable by normal tests it could be magic it could be anything

Add Comment