User Avatar Image

Disney Buys Lucasfilm (and other stories)

posted by BlankCanvasDJ on - last edited - Viewed by 5.0K users

...and, by extension, LucasArts (since that's what we all really care about, I know).

http://www.benzinga.com/news/12/10/3039512/disney-to-buy-lucasfilm-for-4-05b-in-cash-and-stock

I know, with the likes of Star Wars and Indiana Jones being snatched up, the LA catalogue probably isn't a big priority but I wonder what this could mean for the future of some of our favorite adventure games?

Could a Monkey Island theme park ride be in our future? Hmm.

681 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • This is so fucking stupid.

Not only are these jokes essentially repeats of those made during the Marvel acquisition, they're not clever in the slightest. Yes, we get it, the media conglomerate known as The Walt Disney Company has a brand which is most associated with animated films, and for young adults specifically it's associated with the animated film output of the "Disney Renaissance" of the 90s. We get it. The massive company that owns a frankly scary amount of media output has a name at the top level that is associated with a specific brand, which is itself one of the best-pushed brands in the entire world(perhaps not even second to Jesus fucking Christ.

Yes, ha ha, the joke is that the person reading the comic knows of both those things, and they are together!

OR perhaps the punchline is that this would be ridiculous, right, ha ha, but at least it's better than the PREQUELS see it ties in because it's funny because people generally consider the prequel movies to be bad and therefore even the most crazy of weird corssover shit would be better see because we all agree prequels bad.

Disney owns a scary amount of our media landscape. They own a major network. They own ESPN. They own publishers. They effectively own nearly half of the comics industry. Every time the Walt Disney company makes a high-profile acquisition, which they're doing at an alarming rate at this point, everyone spends a few days making stupid crossover jokes as though they're observations, as though just putting reference-able things together is a joke by itself. The Disney Company is a massive cabal and nobody wants to bring that up because they can get pageviews by putting mickey mouse ears on the fucking Death Star.

That's just stupid.

• It's just the standard acquisition joke template. You either mix up two things the companies are best known for, or if it's a much larger company acquiring a tiny company or a hostile takeover, you can draw a big critter with teeth munching a tiny, helpless critter. Have a better idea? I'm sure the cartoonists would love to hear it!

• @Rather Dashing said: This is so fucking stupid.

[rant]

19588359.jpg

• @HelloCthulhu said: They screenwriter said that he wrote a full treatment wrapping up the story of the skywalkers for the first new episode before moving on to the new story, so yes, its a legitimate sequel.

Ah, I missed that story. Thanks.

It's not a firm confirmation yet (AFAIK a treatment doesn't mean much), but it's a pretty good sign that's how Disney wants to go.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

That's nice to know. Be interesting if that stays in the final draft, but yeah. Cool.

• @Rather Dashing said: This is so fucking stupid.

Not only are these jokes essentially repeats of those made during the Marvel acquisition, they're not clever in the slightest. Yes, we get it, the media conglomerate known as The Walt Disney Company has a brand which is most associated with animated films, and for young adults specifically it's associated with the animated film output of the "Disney Renaissance" of the 90s. We get it. The massive company that owns a frankly scary amount of media output has a name at the top level that is associated with a specific brand, which is itself one of the best-pushed brands in the entire world(perhaps not even second to Jesus fucking Christ.

Yes, ha ha, the joke is that the person reading the comic knows of both those things, and they are together!

OR perhaps the punchline is that this would be ridiculous, right, ha ha, but at least it's better than the PREQUELS see it ties in because it's funny because people generally consider the prequel movies to be bad and therefore even the most crazy of weird corssover shit would be better see because we all agree prequels bad.

Disney owns a scary amount of our media landscape. They own a major network. They own ESPN. They own publishers. They effectively own nearly half of the comics industry. Every time the Walt Disney company makes a high-profile acquisition, which they're doing at an alarming rate at this point, everyone spends a few days making stupid crossover jokes as though they're observations, as though just putting reference-able things together is a joke by itself. The Disney Company is a massive cabal and nobody wants to bring that up because they can get pageviews by putting mickey mouse ears on the fucking Death Star.

That's just stupid.

You can either be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.You picked smart. I recommend pleasant.

• @Secret Fawful said: You can either be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.You picked smart. I recommend pleasant.

Good one, Elwood.

I admit, the jokes kinda bug me too but only because anyone who's looked at any of the other companies that Disney owns would see that that isn't what they do. They don't buy these things to "Disney-fy" them, they buy them to get access to (and money from) new, completely different markets. There's nothing Disney-fied about ESPN or Touchstone or A&E or Hollywood Records or Marvel or most other Disney subsidiaries that don't actually carry the Disney label.

Add Comment